Thu, Sep 19, 8:55 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 3:46 am)

Subject: VSS Skin Test - Opinions

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 12 November 2008 at 8:17 AM

artdude41 - only 36 posts? (as reported when I wrote this, of course).

You should be talking about your head off in this forum.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

kobaltkween ( ) posted Wed, 12 November 2008 at 8:23 AM

art charts have nothing to do with talent and skill.  they have to do with who manages to spend lots of time making appreciative comments on other's works and post almost daily.  sometimes a CGTalk star comes to Rendo, doesn't  interact with anyone, and gets big on their rep elsewhere.  but that's rare.  i have several favorite artists who are popular, and i notice i see them commenting a lot.  they're great artists, but they still have to schmooze.  conversely, if you check, most of the art chart Poser artists do the same thing again and again and again.  no growth, no exploration, no pushing in artistic or technical matters.  don't get me wrong, they often do very good work, but the sameness makes it easy to churn out works without thinking very hard about it.

gomcse ( ) posted Wed, 12 November 2008 at 9:25 AM

BB,

I didn't realize there was a PR3 shader. I'll scour the thread and find the link for it.

Thanks,
Dave.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 12 November 2008 at 9:42 AM

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

gomcse ( ) posted Wed, 12 November 2008 at 9:45 AM

...ok...that saves me a lot of time!!!

Thanks again,
Dave.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 12 November 2008 at 9:50 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2737823&page=36#message_3313766

"Search" is your friend. This thread is ginormous.

Here's where I first started talking about PR3 and why it is better.

Rogerbee1 ( ) posted Wed, 12 November 2008 at 10:17 AM · edited Wed, 12 November 2008 at 10:18 AM

Hi,

I've got to say, Artdude, that is a brilliant render. Where did you get the Jessica Alba morph? If you made her, she's perfect. Have you released her anywhere? If you haven't, you should, she'd go down a 'storm'.

CHEERS!

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Wed, 12 November 2008 at 10:49 AM

The issue is that sometimes when I have more than figure in the scene and run VSS, it will not completely run on one of the figures and some of the materials for that figure will be set to white.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 12 November 2008 at 11:49 AM

Doesn't Adam Thwaite have a Jessica Alba look alike at his site?

Rogerbee1 ( ) posted Wed, 12 November 2008 at 12:36 PM · edited Wed, 12 November 2008 at 12:39 PM

He does indeed, it's close, but not as good as Artdude's.

CHEERS!

gomcse ( ) posted Wed, 12 November 2008 at 12:58 PM

I can't find stuff for sale by Artdude or Adamthwaite that look like Jessica Alba. I'm looking for a few characters for a project...specifically,

Jessica Alba,
Hayden Panettiere,
Sarah Michelle Gellar,
Angelina Jolie

Any ideas where characters like this can be purchased or downloaded?

Thanks in advance,
Dave.

Rogerbee1 ( ) posted Wed, 12 November 2008 at 1:38 PM

Oro Snake on ShareCG has done Hayden and Sarah Michelle. He may have a new Hayden out shortly. The RMTH Lara on here isn't a bad Ange, though she'd need work to be screen accurate.

Out of all of Oro's his SMG and Michelle Trachtenberg are the best I've seen

CHEERS!

gomcse ( ) posted Wed, 12 November 2008 at 1:42 PM

Got it, thanks!

Rogerbee1 ( ) posted Wed, 12 November 2008 at 1:50 PM

No Problem,

My Summer Glau aka She Is Back is also worth a look.

CHEERS!

gomcse ( ) posted Wed, 12 November 2008 at 1:58 PM

I will PM you so I don't ruin this thread with personal stuff. --Dave.

jdredline ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2008 at 3:39 PM

file_417830.jpg

Hey, BB, I finally got around to applying the PR3 to the VSS prop.

After synchronizing, my preview looks like this.

artdude41 ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2008 at 3:42 PM

i seem to be getting that effect also . but the figure does render correctly , with skin visible .

jdredline ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2008 at 3:43 PM · edited Thu, 13 November 2008 at 3:43 PM

file_417831.jpg

**So, I followed** **IsaoShi's** **t****ip back on page 37 and connected the Diffuse_color to the Color_pow node.

Now my preview looks like this?

What's the dealio?

jdredline ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2008 at 3:56 PM

file_417832.jpg

So, I hope this is a legal process:

I bypassed the Bump map and Specular Map and grabbed the Color map from the eighth column and dragged it back over near the Main node and connected the Diffuse_color to it.

jdredline ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2008 at 3:57 PM

file_417833.jpg

Wa-la!

Looks good to me.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2008 at 4:25 PM

Quote - > Quote - Um, when I wired the diffuse_color into color_pow (as your illustration suggests) my previews were quite scary - looked like bump-map and specular map were struggling for dominance over the skin, and neither was winning. However, when I wired diffuse_color into color_map (as bagginsbill suggests in the post following this one) it worked fine. I wasn't all that worried about a preview, but I was getting a bit over seeing a plastic mannequin staring back at me... besides, it's harder to pose a character when the skin texture colour isn't there to help reinforce the look.

Hi Robynsveil - sorry, I don't seem to be getting updates on this thread. You're quite right... I chose that node to plug into diffuse simply because it was the one that was already plugged into alternate diffuse. The funny thing is, it worked okay for the material I was using at the time, so I just assumed that was the right thing to do. Wrong! It didn't work on the next material I used, or any other material since then... but plugging in the colour_map works fine every time.

Izi

by the way, I love the renders you are posting in this thread...

See page 42 - Izi made a mistake on that advice and then later corrected it - the correct fix is to plug the color map into Diffuse_Color.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2008 at 6:38 PM · edited Thu, 13 November 2008 at 6:39 PM

Um, colour me a bit thick, but... I've just loaded the VSS_TemplateSkin_PR3_WIP.mt5 and I'm trying to figure out what to hook to what. In the previous version there were nodes with a 'PM' prefix right up against the left-hand border. This node arrangement looks a fair bit different, with the nodes all higglety-piggelty all over the place.

I mean, they work a treat! Synched, rendered, WOW... and no nose-glow, BUT, now, reading this thread, I'm wondering if I did something wrong setting all this up. Here's what I did.
Deciding to start from scratch, I loaded my figure, loaded the textures, loaded VSSPr2Test (even though in the props list is still says VSS_1... that '1' must be an incremental number) and then I loaded VSS_TemplateSkin_PR3_WIP.mt5.

Was this wrong? Did I leave out a step?

If I did this correctly, I've got another question... in the previous sortie of your shader, Bill, I connected my Lip_Blender node to PMC:Color_Tint and the Math_Add for the lips to the PM:Shine node. I've been having a very close look at this new U-Beaut shader but I'm at a loss what to hook to what.

For instance, your PM:Shine output to Pow (.97,50), which output to Mul, which output to the eccentricity input in Blinn, which fed the Value_1 input in Color_Add_2, outputting to Color_Add Value_1, output to Color_Mul_2 Value_2 which fed Color_Pow Value_1 which connected to the Alternate_Diffuse channel in the Poser_Surface main node.

Is that right?

Now, looking at your PR3 and working backwards from the Alt_Diffuse input, we've got:
Color_Math_2 (Pow)... okay, I can follow this on out... Value_1 is fed by Color_Math (add).

Oops. Come aground. Previously, this was a multiply.

No matter, I'll just go by the input channel (Value_2) which is hooked to Math_Functions_3 (divide) which ... nope, a completely different clinical picture. This isn't going to work. Can't just follow node trails around and expect to find the analogous node to connect to: have to know exactly what node is doing what, and how they inter-relate.

Back to remedial nodes class...

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2008 at 6:45 PM

Experimentation, experimentation, experimentation.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2008 at 7:47 PM

Ummm - you were already using the PR3 shader if you had PM nodes on the left.

I'm confused.

Hope you sort it out - I'm flying to Detroit at 6 am so no Poser for me till Saturday.

Love ya,

Baggins

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2008 at 8:08 PM

Just ignore me - I'm confused. Fixed it. Sorry to have weirded everyone out.

Works now.

(It would help if they kept me sedated....)

Metaphor of Chooks

gomcse ( ) posted Fri, 14 November 2008 at 5:34 PM

I'm getting the error: "The file being read is not a valid Poser file"  when I try to apply the new PR3 shader to the "Template Skin" in the Material room.

I've searched this forum but don't see an answer for this. Any ideas?

Dave.

Believable3D ( ) posted Sat, 15 November 2008 at 7:14 PM

Can we get this whole thing more organized somehow?

It seems to me that the following things are clearly detrimental for those wanting to use the shader:

(1) the scattering of the files across several different pages and sites;

(2) the lack of a simple point-by-point instruction on how to use VSS - and I don't mean, buried somewhere in this thread, but on the same page as the files.

It seems to me that if things were better organized, more people would be using VSS as is, and there'd be more guaranteed sales for the Pro version when it eventually comes out as well.

If this state of things isn't going to change, I would be happy to create a page on my own 3D site to address the organization issue. I don't have to host the files, but I would provide direct links to the various files wherever they are located, so that the user could go to one page and find everything. I would also include a very brief point-by-point set of instructions (noting date and versions of everything) - but I'm not the one to write it, obviously... I might be able to track down the necessary info from this thread, though that would take time.

If this is going to work, I would need to remain updated of new developments (e.g. new versions of the various files, and any corresponding new wrinkles to the instructions). I do subscribe to this thread, but the pertinent info can easily get buried....

Is this a good plan, or is there an alternative plan in place to get things organized?

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 15 November 2008 at 10:50 PM · edited Sat, 15 November 2008 at 10:54 PM
  1. VSS is all in one place - the PR1 zip file. I have published a preview of a VSS shader in one other place only because people were bugging me for it and it really had nothing to do with VSS per se, and it isn't finished at all. It is a very new experimental shader setup.

2) The "simple" instructions are in the zip file as vssReadMe.txt. It's a freaking ponderous mystery to me why people don't read it.

Here it is again, copied from the zip file.

Instructions for use:

*> Go into your VSSRuntime and find the VSSFigureProps.

*> Load the VSSGeneric prop. (Picture is two guys fighting.)

This is your control prop. It has all the generic figure shader rules in it.

*> Run the python script :Runtime:Python:vss:vssMainButtons.py

This will load your Python Script Buttons window with VSS.
I suggest you put the vss button script in your mainButtons or some other place so
you don't have to locate the script over and over.

*> Load at least one character - you can load multiple if you like.

*> Make sure your figure has color maps loaded. Some figures come in without their skins.

*> Click Synchronize

*> Render

There is no need for you to host links to various files - officially there is only the one zip file containing VSS. The other files (and there are only three) are some new shaders to play with.

DIgital Dreamer assembled a document culling from this thread, but it's still enormous. A real problem is that the very concept of VSS is new and requires a lot of explanation.

I agree that I have made little to no progress on this, but it's not because I can't organize the files. It's because I have no time to organize. My software needs to be changed into a format that needs fewer explanations. I'm pretty sure I know how to do that but I haven't got the time. I'm working on my real business, not my graphics business (which officially does not exist yet).

There are some things going on, conversations, discussions, in my non-existent graphcis business that I cannot tell you anything about, even though it would be big news. Really big, in my opinion. All I can say is, stick around, it's going to get more interesting.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 15 November 2008 at 10:56 PM · edited Sat, 15 November 2008 at 10:59 PM

Quote - I'm getting the error: "The file being read is not a valid Poser file"  when I try to apply the new PR3 shader to the "Template Skin" in the Material room.

Dave.

I've not heard this error before.

The PR3 shader is not a valid Poser file? That's all it says? Are you sure it says nothing about a different version of the Poser file? You saved the file directly as VSS_Template_Skin_PR3_WIP.mt5?

Can you tell me in more detail what you did, and a screen shot of the error message dialog?

Something like:

I load the same control prop as ever.
I go into material room.
I select the Template Skin.
I double-click the PR3 material.
I get this dialog (screenshot)

Believable3D ( ) posted Sat, 15 November 2008 at 11:11 PM

Thanks for the response, Bill... I guess from your comments, your separation of the shader from the VSS page is intentional. People already think VSS is a shader, and you don't want to have the shader on the same page. Fair enough, though I still wonder about that... I tend to think you're bucking something that you're never gonna shake.

I honestly have never run VSS (I'm about to unpack everything at this moment and try to get some test renders), so from hearing all the questions here, I was guessing the included documentation wasn't sufficiently clear from the average Joe. But these instructions don't look too obtuse. Maybe people really aren't reading the documentation at all....

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Believable3D ( ) posted Sat, 15 November 2008 at 11:39 PM

Okay, one thing isn't clear to me:

"> Run the python script :Runtime:Python:vss:vssMainButtons.py*"**

I know nothing about Python. My first assumption was that I would run this inside Poser via the Scripts menu - but it's not there.

So then I went into the Runtime and found the file and clicked on it. That doesn't do anything (Windows doesn't know what to do with it.) So I opened it with Poser Pro, but that just tries to make a scene out of it.

So pardon my denseness, but how do I run the Python script? This is exactly what I was talking about when I suggested you need a "for dummies" set of instructions. 'Cause I'm a dummy.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 15 November 2008 at 11:47 PM · edited Sat, 15 November 2008 at 11:47 PM

File/Run Python Script.

Or edit your Python buttons script.

This isn't about being a dummy - it's just there are many many things in Poser and I expect people to open the manual and search for how to run python scripts.

Believable3D ( ) posted Sat, 15 November 2008 at 11:50 PM

Thanks, Bill!

I've read over half the Poser Manual, but I guess I was too mentally tired for it to occur to me to even look there on this one... this time I was way off in the other direction, trying to Google the answer and reading articles on how to run Python scripts in Windows. Way off base, obviously...

Point being, what should be obvious isn't always for some of us. :-

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 15 November 2008 at 11:51 PM

By the way, your first assumption should be I support Poser 6. The scripts menu does not exist in Poser 6. So it would not be fair to assume I require a Poser 7 feature to run the Python script.

Some people work with hundreds of scripts and others have never seen them.

Again, this is a mystery to me. Why people don't take advantage of the hundreds of free scripts that save you time. It's like saying you never heard of Pose files.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 12:02 AM

Quote - ...It is a very new experimental shader setup.

Well, for "experimental", Bill, it's head and shoulders and blinkin' toenails over everything else out there. Sheesh! What's the finished product going to be like?

Quote - There are some things going on, conversations, discussions, in my non-existent graphics business that I cannot tell you anything about, even though it would be big news. Really big, in my opinion. All I can say is, stick around, it's going to get more interesting.

If this shader (which I've been studying madly, obsessively, fruitlessly) is a sign of things to come, then I want a front-row seat! I'm so incredibly blown away by what it can do... and what it produces... what else must you have up your sleeve. No, don't tell us: don't wanna spoil the surprise.

Metaphor of Chooks

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 12:05 AM

And so it is again: "Click Synchronize."

I look for "Synchronize" on the VSS 1 tab. Nope.

I search for synchronize in the Poser Reference Manual, the Poser Pro Reference Manual, the Poser Python Reference Manual... the word doesn't even appear.

I go through the whole Pose room interface menus, and can't find anything that says Synchronize.

I search Renderosity for "synchronize Poser" (not having any better idea for terms) and get overwhelmed. I'm sure the answer is in this thread somewhere - but this is exactly what I'm talking about... documentation that doesn't force one to hunt through this haystack.

So yes, I'm ignorant. I've been doing 3D since August, and have own PP for maybe 2-3 months. I've never done a synchronize, as far as I know... am I the only one?

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 12:12 AM

BB, see post above. I've never owned Poser 6. I just got into 3D.. For the most part, I have no idea what are new features and what are not.

But what I'm suggesting is that maybe it's helpful to aim at those people who haven't tracked down all these wonderful freebie scripts. If there are clear instructions for the dummies, maybe they will get used.. or more importantly, THIS script will get used (and generate you sales later, I may add). There are zillions of free things available, but I'm not going to sort through them all... I saw from the beginning that you were onto something great here, and so I wanted to use it. That has nothing to do with whether I want to use other free scripts, and I suspect I'm not alone. You're working on something fabulous, and you're bound to attract attention from folks who normally think Python is just a snake. Surely that's a good thing, yes?

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 12:19 AM

Okay, found it. Window > Python Scripts.

This is what I want in an instructions for dummies. :)

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 12:33 AM

file_417988.png

Okay, my first quick try... this is the pre-VSS render; next post will be with VSS. There are no alterations on anything, just the default lights you get when creating a new Poser file. Render settings are very high.

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 12:35 AM

file_417989.png

Here's with VSS. Didn't adjust anything at all, just synchronized and rendered. Slightly different facial angle, because I ended up losing the original file, but nothing else was changed. Will start playing around after this, but the first thing I notice is that the colouring looks more natural right off the bat.

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 1:29 AM

file_417996.png

And now finally going away from the default lights and using BB's Indoor Light 1. After this, I will venture out of the defaults and learn the real power here, but I'm pretty happy so far... very easy to get good renders.

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 1:44 AM

Quote - > Quote - I'm getting the error: "The file being read is not a valid Poser file"  when I try to apply the new PR3 shader to the "Template Skin" in the Material room.

Dave.

I've not heard this error before.

The PR3 shader is not a valid Poser file? That's all it says? Are you sure it says nothing about a different version of the Poser file? You saved the file directly as VSS_Template_Skin_PR3_WIP.mt5?

Can you tell me in more detail what you did, and a screen shot of the error message dialog?

Something like:

I go into material room.
I get this dialog (screenshot)

Hm, I also got an error at first.

I'm assuming the PR3 material is supposed to be loaded in  the Diffuse Component box? is that wrong? Because with that, I got an error the first time I tried, but it worked the second time. No idea why....

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 1:52 AM

Ah, now I see the problem... gotta do this from the Categories palette. :)

gomcse ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 2:12 AM

BB,

I go into material room.
I get this dialog :
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1782202

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 2:20 AM

gomcsce, do you realize that you can post the image in the thread itself (although I think you'd need to resize it) just by using the "Attach a File" function below the message box?

gomcse ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 2:23 AM

LOL. I never noticed that...

Thanks. 

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 2:32 AM

file_417997.png

Heh. I used BB's Indoor Light 1 without toning it down for brightness, and was kinda surprised afterward when I realized it wasn't "blown out," and it was "supposed" to be.

And then I realized that - duh - after reading over and over the reminders to use VSS2, I had somehow loaded VSS1, so things were behaving as expected.

Anyway, as I have been rendering at very high quality settings - and thus very slowly - I leave off tonight with this last render from VSS1, albeit this time with the PR3 shader. Tomorrow after church I hope to find time at some point to get acquainted with the VSS2 Prop. :)

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 2:38 AM · edited Sun, 16 November 2008 at 2:45 AM

Hm... or am I wrong about that? Just above, BB repeats his instructions to load the VSSGeneric Prop... which is what I had... will have to go back through the thread and confirm which Prop is VSS2....

Edit: No, I was right... Now that I look at the contents of the zip files, it's the repeated instructions in this thread that are wrong. The two men fighting is PR1. Here again, the ReadMe needs updating.

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 3:15 AM · edited Sun, 16 November 2008 at 3:17 AM

http://believable3d.com/resources/vss_for_dummies.php   :)

See, I do this sort of thing first of all for myself. I break things down into dummy language to help me get my mind around it now, and also so that I don't have to reinterpret everything later when I come back to things after a break and need a refresher.

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2008 at 3:24 AM

Quote - LOL. I never noticed that...

Thanks. 

:)

Heh. Don't feel bad... as you can see from this thread, there's a lot of stuff that I don't notice until someone tells me. And actually, my images above are my first usage of the attachment feature, and until I'd done the first, I wasn't sure if it would work either....

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.