Wed, Oct 9, 5:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 09 4:36 am)

Subject: P6 to P7 problems, problems, problems

ImRassilon ( ) posted Sun, 30 November 2008 at 1:31 PM · edited Wed, 09 October 2024 at 5:25 AM

I recently upgraded from a very stable Poser 6 to an agravatingly unstable Poser 7.04.220. I get one of 2 problems every time i run the new program. It either locks up on startup or when I try to load a previous project I get the following message over and over again. Texture coud not be loaded. Image map could not be found, or there is not enough memory to load. I am running Windows Vista-32 with 3 Gb of memory and a dualcore AMD Atholon 2.8 Ghz chip. I use external runtimes but have the V4 character installed in the main poser 7 folder
Any help with this really agravating problem would be really appreciated.

ockham ( ) posted Sun, 30 November 2008 at 1:46 PM · edited Sun, 30 November 2008 at 1:47 PM

Sounds like you have the "search preferences" set too strict. 
Go to Preferences (main menu  Edit : General Preferences) ... find the Library tab,
and click the dot for "Deep".  This will tell Poser to look through all
available Runtimes for textures and geometries.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

ImRassilon ( ) posted Sun, 30 November 2008 at 1:55 PM

Thanks for the tip. I had already done that. The problem I have right now is getting the program to not crash as soon as it opens.

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 30 November 2008 at 1:57 PM · edited Sun, 30 November 2008 at 1:59 PM

Have you updated your video drivers recently? Odds are poser needs the latest drivers to run properly.

Also, did you install poser 7 into it's own fresh folder, or did you install it over the top of poser 6? You do not want to every over write older programs with newer versions. Always start with a clean install... also you can have both poser 6 and poser 7 installed in separate locations without any issues at all.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

ImRassilon ( ) posted Sun, 30 November 2008 at 2:01 PM

Clean install. I have not tried the video driver update. I'll give it a try
 Thanks

darkforceprime ( ) posted Sun, 30 November 2008 at 6:20 PM

Goodluck. I have had serious problems lately with P7. It was working fine up until 2 months ago. Now it crashes constantly. Most likely it is a software incompatability issue with an XP update and Smith doesn't know how to fix it.

And I have done clean installs, driver updates and so on. It freezes everytime I go to conform.

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 30 November 2008 at 7:04 PM

I had problems recently, but installing the latest space navigtor driver resolved them.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 30 November 2008 at 7:11 PM
Site Admin

What's a space navigtor driver? is that for hardware or software? If I could get my poser 7 working again,  i'd be so happy.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

darkforceprime ( ) posted Sun, 30 November 2008 at 8:04 PM

I ended up reinstalling into a all new folder and it worked. Something is fishy with P7.....

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 30 November 2008 at 8:59 PM

A space navigator is a 3d navigation device.

Glad ya got p7 working!

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 30 November 2008 at 9:03 PM

Ah but did the OP get HIS copy running?

ImRassilon ( ) posted Mon, 01 December 2008 at 5:29 AM

Noy yet. still have both original problems after driver updates. I guess I'll try  to uninstall and reinstall the whole program.

darkforceprime ( ) posted Mon, 01 December 2008 at 7:50 AM

You're better off installing into a different folder and just linking your old runtimes to the new install. Then manually delete the older version. But I am no expert either. Garee is a hell of a lot more smarter on this than I.

tainted_heart ( ) posted Mon, 01 December 2008 at 11:33 AM

I've been having the same problem reloading pz3 files as ImRassilon. When I try to load a previous project I get  "texture coud not be loaded...image map could not be found, or there is not enough memory to load" error.

Win XP, 2 gigs ram, 1.8 ghz AMD Sempron. My Poser 7 was a new install with all 3 sr's applied, not an upgrade from Poser 6. Most of my runtimes are on an external drive. The odd thing is, after I get the messages, the file loads, the textures are all listed for each material, but none of them are loaded. I can load them all manually and they render fine. I can save the file under a new name, quit Poser, restart Poser, reload the newly saved file and get the same error.

I haven't tried reinstalling yet, but that may be the only choice at this point.

It's all fun and games...
Until the flying monkeys attack!!! 

ImRassilon ( ) posted Mon, 01 December 2008 at 12:08 PM

Tainted_heart  How about program stability? Are you getting the crashes as well?

tainted_heart ( ) posted Mon, 01 December 2008 at 12:41 PM

No crashes, just the problems reloading saved files.

ImRassilon ( ) posted Mon, 01 December 2008 at 6:40 PM

I have uninstalled and reinstalled P7. no change. I have erased thre pref files no help. I have run windows in diagnostic mode[no virus software or other background programs running.] No Change. Is it possible that having the extrernal runtimes is causing the issues? I can't see it causing the program to  stop responding, but it would maybe explain the inablity to find or load materials. I am hoping someone out there has had this problem and found a suitable solution.
I await your agravation ending answers
TIA
ImRassilon

ImRassilon ( ) posted Mon, 01 December 2008 at 7:51 PM

Well heres a ray of hope. I may have solved the program freeze issue by following the info on the Smith-Micro knowledge base. I erased all the temp files and ran windows disk fix. I'm crossing my fingers but no crashes so far. I also installed a few new items in the Poser root folder. and the created an image with only those items found in the poser folder[no external runtimes]. I rendered with the image, saved the image, restarted poser and Voila' no errors in loading. Maybe poser 7 and Vista don't see eye to eye on who gets accesss to what. Still looking for any and all input.
TIA
ImRassilon

tainted_heart ( ) posted Mon, 01 December 2008 at 11:17 PM

ImRassilon, are you by chance getting the loading errors on a file using V4.2? I'm loading a scene with her and the "texture coud not be loaded...image map could not be found, or there is not enough memory to load" errors are on all the V4.2 textures. I can reload the textures manually and the file will render. All the textures are on the same external drive, but the only one's that wouldn't load were the V4.2 textures.

The file is composed of V4.2, 2 conforming clothing items, the DAZ multiplan cyclorama, 2 swords, a bloodstain, and several other props. Everything loads except for the V4.2 textures.

Here's something I tried that seems to have worked. In Poser, I browsed my library pallette to the runtime containing the V4.2 textures that I used in the file and loaded the file. I got the "not enough memory error one time, then the file loaded with all the V4.2 textures loaded. All the other textures loaded too, except for the bloodstain this time.

I have no clue why that made a difference and don't have an answer as to why the problem happens in the first place.

imagination304 ( ) posted Mon, 01 December 2008 at 11:39 PM

Did you use OpenGL for preview?

tainted_heart ( ) posted Tue, 02 December 2008 at 7:59 AM

Quote - Did you use OpenGL for preview?

Yes, and my graphics card is a ATI Radeon 9250 with the latest drivers.

imagination304 ( ) posted Tue, 02 December 2008 at 8:00 PM · edited Tue, 02 December 2008 at 8:00 PM

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.