Fri, Sep 20, 7:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: mats wont apply to any props in poser pro

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2008 at 8:13 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 7:36 AM

I cannot get any mat files to apply to any props, mats apply fine to figures...
I cant even get mats to apply to props I didn't make... However, props with textures already on them, load fine.

EX: Blossoms day umbrella is under props, I load it into scene, and go to pose to apply mats.... nothing happens and i get the 'error' ding from the computer....
I have restarted computer, reinstalled poser..... nothing works.

I'm using poser pro, have had it for a while but this is the first time this has ever happened.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2008 at 9:35 PM

Pbellows,
Why don't you open the pz2 (loacted in Runtime:Libraries:Pose:ect) file in question with WordPad and see where exactly the textures are supposed to be loading from?

Then make sure that indeed that folder structure and mapping exists.

Comitted to excellence through art.

markschum ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2008 at 9:42 PM

do you get an error message ? if so what is it?

try parenting the umbrella to the figure then try the mat pose again . Does that work ?

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2008 at 9:43 PM

file_420784.jpg

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2008 at 9:49 PM

file_420786.jpg

I loaded a random prop's MAT pose into MPE.... and its completely blank! Like it is a completely blank mat pose!

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2008 at 9:58 PM

I looked at the mat poses that MPE makes... and there is a texture there.....

KdColor 0.8 0.8 0.8 1
        KaColor 0 0 0 1
        KsColor 0.6 0.6 0.6 1
        TextureColor 1 1 1 1
        NsExponent 10
        tMin 0
        tMax 0
        tExpo 0.6
        bumpStrength 1
        ksIgnoreTexture 0
        reflectThruLights 1
        reflectThruKd 0
        textureMap ":Runtime:Textures:! Digital Dreams:Chair:chair.jpg"

but its not applying. I'm not sure why ALL of my props are like this.... not just mine!

wdupre ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2008 at 10:08 PM

Mat poses don't load onto props unless they are parented to a figure in Poser as far as I know, I know its true up to poser 7 and assume the same is true in Poser Pro

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2008 at 10:18 PM

"Mat Pose" files are a hack and not officially supported. They do not work for props that are not parented, just as wdupre said. They are officially "poses" not materials, and poses only apply to figures.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2008 at 10:32 PM

OMG! I feel sooo stupid!

.<
But.... I have made a chair prop... and cant apply textures to it.
How do I do this

vincebagna ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2008 at 10:32 PM

They are blank in MPE, but are they still blank in a text editor?

My Store

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2008 at 10:46 PM

Ahh, ok. How do I add MAT poses to things without using MPE?
It is the only thing I have ever used lol.

wdupre ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2008 at 11:00 PM

Previous to poser 6 if you had props that you don't expect users to parent to a figure you simply provided a pp2 prop file for each material option. after all prop files are not very large unless they have a lot of morphs. with poser 6 Efronteers finally added a multiple material file that will work on all content, its the material collection, and you can save and load them in the material room.  You can also convert a mat pose to a material collection fairly easily with a text editor, and I believe that EF included a python script which converted mat poses to material collections.

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2008 at 11:10 PM · edited Mon, 29 December 2008 at 11:13 PM

I've never had problems with textures, but then I ALWAYS apply my textures by hand, since I node them and alter them anyway.
DPH

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2008 at 11:11 PM

ok, so if I load my textures in the material room..... how do I save? Can I not just save in the Material room?
Can someone point me to a tutorial for this?
This is the first prop I have ever made that is not parented to something ^_^.

wdupre ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2008 at 11:28 PM · edited Mon, 29 December 2008 at 11:28 PM

Page 93 in the P6 manual outlines how to save a material collection. its a very simple process though. Once you have all your materials set, click the + button at the bottom of the library window, a selection window will pop up, select material collection, than click OK, that simple.

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2008 at 11:34 PM

Hmm, Thats kind of what I thought.... but I don't have the plus sign to click on. Thats why I was wondering if there was a different proccess :D

markschum ( ) posted Mon, 29 December 2008 at 11:47 PM

look in the mat pose with wordpad and see what the first few lines read

there should be a line that reads figure  or prop xxxxxxxxx 
try changing that to actor $CURRENT and see what happens .

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Tue, 30 December 2008 at 4:13 AM

Why not copy the prop to the characters folder & change the extension to cr2, Poser can be fooled into thinking a prop is actually a figure in that way.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

lesbentley ( ) posted Tue, 30 December 2008 at 6:37 AM

If there is a figure in the scene, the sugestion made by markschum should work, even if the prop is not parented to the figure. Just edit the line in the pz2 that says "prop SomeName_#" to read "actor $CURRENT". When there is no figure in the scene you won't be able to apply any pz2 to anything, but if you need to get round this restriction you can change the file extension of the pz2 to cm2 and place the file in a camera folder, cm2 file will work even when there is no figure in the scene.

The alternative, as wdupre said, is to create a material collection. But as you are not getting the + sign, that option seems ruled out for the moment. I don't know why you are not getting the + sign, you should be able to see it. Perhaps you have a camera selected as the active item instead of the prop, that would cause the + to be missing, or perhaps the bottom of the pallet has been dragged below the bottom of the screen, or is obscured by the Windows Task Bar?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 30 December 2008 at 7:39 AM

To save a material OR a material collection you must be in the material room. Perhaps you're not?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

markschum ( ) posted Tue, 30 December 2008 at 9:35 AM

thanks Les, I stole the suggestion from someone and its been very useful :)

AnAardvark ( ) posted Tue, 30 December 2008 at 1:18 PM

Quote - "Mat Pose" files are a hack and not officially supported. They do not work for props that are not parented, just as wdupre said. They are officially "poses" not materials, and poses only apply to figures.

And, if you have two of the same prop, the Mat Pose usual ends up being applied to the first one, regardless of which catgirl collar you have selected.

lesbentley ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 12:54 PM

Quote - And, if you have two of the same prop, the Mat Pose usual ends up being applied to the first one, regardless of which catgirl collar you have selected.

That's probably because one of the props will be named something like "Collar_1", and as no two props in the scene can have the same name, the other collar prop will be named "Collar_2". If the mat file uses the name "Collar_1", then obviously it won't work on "Collar_2". A  way round this is to use "actor $CURRENT" in the MAT file in place of "prop Collar_1".

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.