Sun, Oct 6, 12:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Reflections on being slow

kedo1981 ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2009 at 7:49 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 12:29 PM

Reflections on being slow

I know I should have thought of this a long time ago (been using since ver.3) so please don’t make fun of me.

My animations in carrara 6 mostly involve showing some kind of process using my companies CAD models.
I usually set the BACKDROP to cromakey green to later comp in After Effects or Vegas.

I was never much satisfied with the way the reflections turn out.

Most of the models I work on are of machined metal components.

Just last week I realized I could have a reflection map in the BACKGROUND channel and still use the green screen in the BACKDROP, thus getting the nice metal reflections and still render out to a  good key.

DUUUUUUUU

Patrick_210 ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2009 at 8:22 AM

You could also use an HDRI to further enhance the effect.

GKDantas ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2009 at 8:36 AM

And you can use alpha channel for better composite in After Effects, so you dont need a green backdrop.

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

sfdex ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2009 at 1:18 PM

The problem with Carrara's alpha channel in render is that it doesn't handle blurs well, so if you're rendering with motion blur, you're better off using a chroma-key green background and doing the composite with Keylight in AfterEffects.  Keylight handles blurs and semi-transparent areas really well, in my experience.

- Dex

GKDantas ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2009 at 2:07 PM

I see, never did something with motion blur... by the way can you show your work with Carrara?

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.