Fri, Sep 20, 3:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Printing problem with CS4 and Imac -Epson RX595

MuonQuark ( ) posted Wed, 04 February 2009 at 11:41 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 3:31 AM

I know this will sound silly but......  I can't find in CS4 where to set the type of paper I'm printing to.  I'm on an intel Imac right now.  This printer was installed on my PC and I had no problem in any program with setting the type of paper I was printing to.  But for the life of me I cannot find where to set the type of paper in Photoshop.  I can see where to set the size and stuff but not where to set the type of paper, like glossy or photo or just plain white printer paper.

Help please?  Thanks.

Quest ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 1:38 AM

Attached Link: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=90754&prodoid=63069457&infoType=Downloads&platform=Macintosh

I'm taking a shot in the dark here...you say it was installed on a (Windows) PC , but don't you need a mac driver for that printer?  Above I provided the Epson web site to download the drivers for that printer. Good luck!

MuonQuark ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 9:12 AM

Sorry, I should have explained better.  I recently made the switch from a PC to a mac.  The install cd for the epson printer has both the mac and PC install files.  I did find the updated mac driver for the printer too.  I then got Photoshop CS4 for the new mac.  I was trying to print out a picture in Photoshop yesterday but I could not find where to tell it I was using glossy photo paper.

I was checking to see if anyone else had an epson printer (RX 595 or similiar) and could tell me how to set the type of paper I'm printing to in photoshop CS4.  This has me stumped......

Thanks.

dreamer101 ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 10:37 AM · edited Thu, 05 February 2009 at 10:38 AM

I don't have a Mac, Epson printer or CS4 but if it's just a matter of selecting Paper Type from Photoshop then go to File > Page Setup ... OR ... File > Print and when Print window comes up click on Properties to the right of the selected printer.

MuonQuark ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 11:17 AM

Ok, I think I'm ok now.  When I initially installed this printer on the mac and attempted to print in Photoshop, I wasn't getting the window that allowed you to select the type of paper you're printing to.  After installing the updated mac driver, that window now comes up in Photoshop.  I wasn't getting it before.  Phew.........  what a pain!!!

Now I just have to figure out the best printer/Photoshop settings for printing photos.  LOL

MuonQuark ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2009 at 12:52 PM

Now that I have all these different options, does anyone have some good settings/suggestions for printing from Photoshop to an epson printer?  Keep in mind I'm printing to an epson rx595 printer on an Imac I just got a few months ago.  It seems like a very complicated procedure to set up this printer to print from Photoshop.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

pauljs75 ( ) posted Sat, 07 February 2009 at 11:20 PM

The thing is, you usually need to set up a color profile for your monitor in addition to fine tuning your printer settings. And from there you can start getting things a little closer. I find that even with what may be the "best" settings, you'll have to go through a bit of paper printing out proofs until you get things just the way you want them. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I'm sure some other people may concur with that.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Gini ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2009 at 12:27 PM

I just spent a week redoing my portfolio....just upgraded to CS4 from CS2, what a nightmare.
Epson1290 printer & an iMac .

Anyway, yes, calibrate !! your monitor, save that profile and then set that as your printers profile with "Printer managers colors" in the print dialogue. I was having a disaster with it set to "Photoshop manages colors" until a friend suggested setting it to "Printer manages Colors".
Even with updated Epson drivers that dialogue is the only way I could select the paper type or any other print settings in CS4.
Thing is Photoshop seemed to be saving my new print presets... but when I checked ( after yet another bad print) it actually wasn't.... paper type kept reverting to Plain even though I saved as 'Matte Heavyweight'.... so check that that isn't happening for you.

At least thats how I finally got very good color matching on both photos and artwork after tearing my hair out for a day... and a lot of ink and paper.
Also print your proofs smaller and in a corner at first so at least you can turn the paper around and use a different corner for another proof.

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

MuonQuark ( ) posted Wed, 11 February 2009 at 2:46 PM

Thanks all.  I figured it was going to be a long drawn out process.  ::sigh::

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.