Wed, Sep 18, 5:14 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 3:46 pm)

Subject: printing a render

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 8:22 PM · edited Thu, 12 September 2024 at 10:40 AM
Site Admin

I have a few renders that I'd like to print out. Does anyone have any suggestions for doing it? What kind of paper etc.?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 9:21 PM

depends on what you're going for. I actually print out the odd render to put on my binders (mainly to tell the front from the back...;).

The way colors are done on paper are different; it's CYMK  (Cyan, Yellow, Magenta, and Black) is the most common (some plotters throw in a special black, and a gray...;). So it will look slightly different, mainly darker (I usually get darker) on just standard 20lb copy paper. (I have access to  business printers, like HP 4650s or 4700s, etc).

If you're going more for a pro look, there's actually a printing forum here, where they deal with specialized art printing. They know far more about that specialty than I do.

Check 'em out.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 10:11 PM

I print mine through the walmart photo service. I get the cheap prints at 5 x 7 or so . I find its a better quality than I get with an inkjet.

ratscloset ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 11:53 PM

Depends on Size and other factors. Personally, if you are going to Print, you should consider that before Rendering. I ususally Render much Larger and Higher DPI if I am going to Print. (Set in Render Dimension Dialog)

Basically... a 1680 x 1050 (I render to Wallpaper Size) at

72 DPI is going to Print Out at 23.33 x 14.58
300 DPI is going to Print Out at 5.6 x 3.5
1200 DPI is going to Print Out at 0.83 x 0.52

So, if you want an 8 x 10 (about) at 1200 DPI then you will need to Render to 26000 x 16250 about

For Paper, any good quality Paper and a Good Printer will get you great results. Format for export, I prefer TIFF, but that is just me.

ratscloset
aka John

aeilkema ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 1:54 AM

So, if you want an 8 x 10 (about) at 1200 DPI then you will need to Render to 26000 x 16250 about

That's a great suggestion, but Poser isn't going to render an image at that size at all. When giving number so high in the render dimension dialog box you will firstly get a warning and then Poser will quit when you attempt to render.

Are there any workable solutions for this?

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 2:48 AM

There is no need to render at such a high number of pixels.

Even if your printer is 1200 DPI, that's not pixels, it's colored dots. The "D" stands for Dots, as in Dots Per Inch = DPI. What you are producing or really care about is PPI = Pixels Per Inch.

The effective PPI resolution of your typical 1200 or 2400 DPI home color printer is 300 PPI, but hardly anybody can tell the difference between that and 150 PPI.

So at 150 PPI, you need only render at 1200 x 1500 pixels for an 8 by 10 print.

At 300 PPI, you need 2400 x 3000 - totally doable with Poser.

Think about this. 2400 by 3000 is 7.2 Megapixels. How does that compare with your digital camera?

I have a 6 Megapixel Cannon pocket camera that shoots great photos that I regularly enlarge to 24 inch prints, with no problem. I also have a Nikon D90 12.5 Megapixel SLR which shoots crazy pictures that can be blown up easily to 60 inches. My point is 12 Megapixels is clearly overkill for an 8 by 10 and you don't need to go there and certainly not ever go higher.

The suggested 26000 x 16250 is 422 Megapixels!?! Have you ever heard of anybody, even a pro, thinking they need images of 422 Megapixels?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

stewer ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 2:56 AM

bagginsbill, thank you very much for that contribution! I was almost convinced that I was the last person on earth who knew the difference between DPI, PPI and LPI.

aeilkema ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 3:36 AM

bagginsbill, thanks for clearing that up,  already thought that ratscloset suggestion sounded odd.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....

ratscloset ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 9:43 AM

First, let me clarify my post (that is what I get for posting late at night!) When I provided those dimensions, I was stating what the 100%, or Print actual Size would be for various DPI in Poser, not that you needed it or that it in itself related to Print Quality. I was not trying to equate the DPI with the Printer, but just with Poser and Actual Image Size when Printed out.

If you take a 150 DPI Image at 1200 x 1500 and Print actual size out it will be 8x10 and if you take 300 DPI at the mentioned dimesions, it will print out 8x10. And I agree that is more than enough for most needs. Most Printers only require 300 DPI, matter of fact, other than one Project I produced for a Client where a specified series of images were being used to generate a Hologram type image with projectors, all have been 300 DPI, since that is what the Printers want.

With regards to Poser, if your machine can handle it, it will Render it. I have done very large Renders, though I am not sure what the largest was... I know it was over 30000, but it was only 300DPI. I also remember it took way too long.

ratscloset
aka John

ratscloset ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 9:48 AM

I should add... when I say, 'Printers only require 300DPI' and 'that is what Printers want', I am referring to companies that do Printing.

ratscloset
aka John

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 12:24 PM

300dpi is about average for most home or business printing. If you want high-quality artwork, it's a whole 'nuther dimension...;)  Commercial printers will print to different resolutions depeneding on what you want (or pay for...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 08 February 2009 at 5:09 PM
Site Admin

Thanks all. I get the need for a quality image to start out with. But what is good paper? I mean just photo paper or is there some other high quality paper? This is a new frontier for me. I know Photo, card stock, copy paper, and the cheap crap I use for every day use.

Wish my grandpa was still alive. He used to own a printing business.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

dorkmcgork ( ) posted Sun, 08 February 2009 at 11:23 PM

i use a typical epson printer...excellent colors but slower than other printers.  the ink is crazy expensive.  i use photo paper with gloss usually but use anything, you'll get a neat look.  (not plain paper obviously)  use matte or something else.  there is also a neat cheaper paper used for print and text like brochures, but can't remember that name, which is ok.  printing is an art of it's own and your image will evoke different charm depending on how you go, like if you use canvas or something.
also obviously remember to change the printing preferences when you get at it...

go that way really fast.
if something gets in your way
turn

aeilkema ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2009 at 1:35 AM

Quote - i use a typical epson printer...excellent colors but slower than other printers.  the ink is crazy expensive.

For that same reason I switched to a color laser priniter last year. I've did get a HP 2605, it may be a bit more expensive to buy, but in the end it runs a lot cheaper. The toner works out a lot cheaper then the ink cartridges are, it's fast and has great color. The price per print is a lot less then it is for inkjet printers. On top of that, the print-outs are waterproof and do have a natural shine. I'm very happy that I made the investment.

Food for thought.....

ratscloset ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2009 at 1:56 AM

I use Matte Photo Paper for most Printouts. When I worked for a Printer, the paper we used for an Art Poster was similar to Glossy Photo Paper, but not as heavy as the stuff you buy for Home Printers.

For Printers, I switched from Epson to Canon a few years back. I like the quality of my Epson, but did not like some of the changes. Canon, I still can refill the cartridges, Epson, I no longer could.

ratscloset
aka John

Gini ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2009 at 6:30 AM

Matte heavyweight paper looks good for art prints imho, I use Epson brand but there are others.  My preference because I am not a fan of shiny/glossy prints unless it's for a photo.
I proof at 1/2 or 1/3 size on a cheaper matte photo paper to check colours & printer settings.

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

AnAardvark ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2009 at 1:02 PM

Quote - i use a typical epson printer...excellent colors but slower than other printers.  the ink is crazy expensive.  i use photo paper with gloss usually but use anything, you'll get a neat look.  (not plain paper obviously)  use matte or something else.  there is also a neat cheaper paper used for print and text like brochures, but can't remember that name, which is ok.  printing is an art of it's own and your image will evoke different charm depending on how you go, like if you use canvas or something.
also obviously remember to change the printing preferences when you get at it...

As a warning -- inkjet ink is not water proof (or, in this case, pepsi one proof.)

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2009 at 9:04 PM
Site Admin

AnAardvark I am well aware of that. Had a printed paycheck get wet. Fortunatly, it was still slightly readable so the bank took it. I'm also had "waterproof" ink be affected by water. 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.