Thu, Oct 3, 5:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Using Poser7 - What are the best choices to get rind of the Shiny Plastic Ken Sk

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Sun, 08 February 2009 at 8:21 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 5:26 AM

file_423800.jpg

Using Poser6-Poser7 - What are the best choices to get rid of the Shiny ken Plastic Skin?

Attached are the Torso Poser 7 Material Room settings.

This retail item renders like a Shiny Plastic Ken Doll.

What surfaces and values would be the best choices for making it look more like skin and far far less shine?

Many thanks

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Sun, 08 February 2009 at 8:22 AM

file_423801.jpg

Attached is the Shiny Plastic Ken Skin

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Sun, 08 February 2009 at 8:27 AM

file_423803.jpg

This is what the EyeSurface material look like and needless to say, It renders white over the eyes.

Thomas Jefferson

geep ( ) posted Sun, 08 February 2009 at 8:39 AM · edited Sun, 08 February 2009 at 8:39 AM

Make Specular Color Black ...
Change Highlight Size from 100.00 to 0.000

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

IsaoShi ( ) posted Sun, 08 February 2009 at 8:53 AM

Regarding the skin, it's hardly surprising it has so much plastic shine. The Specular value is set to 1 with a fairly bright Specular colour. I would change the Specular colour to quite a dark grey. Or dark gray if you are in the US.

:O)
Izi

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Sun, 08 February 2009 at 12:22 PM

Quote - Regarding the skin, it's hardly surprising it has so much plastic shine. The Specular value is set to 1 with a fairly bright Specular colour. I would change the Specular colour to quite a dark grey. Or dark gray if you are in the US.

:O)
Izi

Many thanks to you and the good Dr Geep.

Hard to believe, this is a retail product from a reputable location.

Thomas Jefferson

IsaoShi ( ) posted Sun, 08 February 2009 at 1:59 PM

Well, to be fair it does also depend on how you are lighting the scene. True, this is a very crude skin shader, using just the PoserSurface built-in diffuse and specular settings; but with appropriate lighting it  might look somewhat better.

I would guess that your main (front) light has a strong specular content, adding to the built-in specularity and giving the really plastic look. It might be worth turning off the specular content of your main light (leaving the skin shader as supplied) and see what results you get then, if only as an experiment.

By the way, reducing the Highlight value actually sharpens any reflection you may be getting, making the surface appear smoother. Materials like glass and chrome have very smooth surfaces (low Highlight values) and so produce sharp reflections. Skin/paper etc. have many surface imperfections (higher Highlight values) and so produce more diffuse (spread out) reflections. The Highlight value is not how much reflection you get, but how spread out it is due to small imperfections on the surface.

Izi

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

Morkonan ( ) posted Sun, 08 February 2009 at 10:47 PM · edited Sun, 08 February 2009 at 10:47 PM

Quote - ...Hard to believe, this is a retail product from a reputable location.

I bought V4 Elite.  A really nice set of textures and shaders.  However, the AO is turned up to 25+or so around her eyes and mouth by default even when choosing a non-AO version of the texture.  You have to turn it down manually or she looks like she was on a two week crack binge.

Any excellent product but, with a setting that got overlooked.  It's not surprising, IMO.  But, the problem is that a good many people don't know how to fix such things.  So, what some producers may overlook because even if there was a problem, it'd be trivial for them to fix, turns into a much larger concern for many end-users who don't know how to fix it.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 08 February 2009 at 11:39 PM

mar, maybe they were selling that shader to get a wet or sweaty look.

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2009 at 8:51 AM · edited Mon, 09 February 2009 at 8:54 AM

file_423855.jpg

> Quote - mar, maybe they were selling that shader to get a wet or sweaty look.

No, it was supposed to be a sinister character.
None of the promo images even look like that Ken Plastic Doll Skin.

Let's just say that is touted to look similar to this Rendo Forum Pic, without the opaque eye covering.

Thomas Jefferson

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2009 at 8:57 AM

Quote - Well, to be fair it does also depend on how you are lighting the scene. True, this is a very crude skin shader, using just the PoserSurface built-in diffuse and specular settings; but with appropriate lighting it  might look somewhat better.

I would guess that your main (front) light has a strong specular content, adding to the built-in specularity and giving the really plastic look. It might be worth turning off the specular content of your main light (leaving the skin shader as supplied) and see what results you get then, if only as an experiment.

By the way, reducing the Highlight value actually sharpens any reflection you may be getting, making the surface appear smoother. Materials like glass and chrome have very smooth surfaces (low Highlight values) and so produce sharp reflections. Skin/paper etc. have many surface imperfections (higher Highlight values) and so produce more diffuse (spread out) reflections. The Highlight value is not how much reflection you get, but how spread out it is due to small imperfections on the surface.

Izi

Once again, thank you very much for the information.
Apparently this item appears to work fine in Default D|S, which I suspect it was created in.
It appears that it wasn't really checked out in Poser.

Thomas Jefferson

jenay ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2009 at 9:04 AM

for the eyesurface you need to set ambient color to black - otherwise you get white glowing eyes.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.