Sat, Oct 5, 8:16 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: Poser Dynamic Cloth Not Working

xoconostle ( ) posted Tue, 02 December 2008 at 1:28 PM · edited Wed, 21 August 2024 at 4:57 AM

I'm using Vue Pro Studio 6. When I import a Poser figure wearing dynamic cloth, the cloth object invariably stays "frozen" in its initial form without draping as it did in Poser. I don't recall having this problem in the past and am not sure what I'm doing wrong. FWIW I do have the latest update installed. Can anyone advise as to proper settings to get Poser dynamic cloth to work?  

xoconostle ( ) posted Tue, 02 December 2008 at 2:30 PM

A little more info about this problem. I made sure that each piece of dynamic cloth was parented properly in Poser. (I always do that anyway, even if not exporting.) 

I've tried checking and un-checking each of the import options in the dialogue box that appears in Vue when importing the mesh. No combo seems to have any effect.

I've tried importing the entire animation and also only the final frame. The figure (in this case Victoria 3) imports just fine ... materials and animated poses are not a problem. 

Only the dynamic cloth fails to import properly. It remains at its first frame, in the un-draped position throughout the entire animation sequence. 

Poser 7.04.220 / Vue 6-60-04 Build 292470 (Pro Studio) / iMac w/2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 2GB RAM. 

Any suggestions, hints, tech-y rants or helpful slaps upside the head appreciated.  :-) 

- Dean

ArtPearl ( ) posted Tue, 02 December 2008 at 3:07 PM

Do you need the whole animation from poser or you just want the character and properly draped clothes, as they are in the final frame? If you dont need the whole animation I would suggest that in poser you export the clothes as a  ".obj" file at the last step, delete the dynamic clothes and import back the cloth from the obj files. save and read this file into vue as a single frame. I used to have problems that P7 didnt save my simulations properly (forgetting the whole simulation) so I got into the habit of exporting the clothes, copying the pose from the last frame to the the first, reading the clothes back it to the first frame. (It is positioned and scaled just right when you re-import).
I'm also on a Mac and I often use clothes simulations - this process works without fail. I dont really know if importing a whole simulation works or not - never tried.
Good luck

"I paint that which comes from the imagination or from dreams, or from an unconscious drive. I photograph the things that I do not wish to paint, the things which already have an existence."
Man Ray, modernist painter
http://artpearl.redbubble.com/

FrankT ( ) posted Tue, 02 December 2008 at 3:10 PM

One thing to check is that you have "Use External Binary Morphs" turned OFF in Poser -they cause a whole heap of problems

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

xoconostle ( ) posted Tue, 02 December 2008 at 3:43 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. Yeah, I learned a long time ago to turn external binary morphs off. :-)  ArtPearl I tried your suggestion but when I re-imported the .obj file, it was a terrible mess. Do you happen to remember which boxes should be checked or un-checked when exporting the dynamic cloth as an .obj? I suspect that's where things went wrong. 

I do indeed only need the final frame of the sequence, as the intended render is a still image in Vue, not an animation.

Thanks again ... I'll get this whipped even if it requires a complete re-install. 

ArtPearl ( ) posted Tue, 02 December 2008 at 3:54 PM

I am actually about to do a cloth dynamic simulation, so I will pay attention to my various settings - I dont want to mislead you with wrong memories:) I'll post a bit later, if no one else solved your problem. 

"I paint that which comes from the imagination or from dreams, or from an unconscious drive. I photograph the things that I do not wish to paint, the things which already have an existence."

FrankT ( ) posted Tue, 02 December 2008 at 3:57 PM

When you do the import, UNCHECK all the boxes otherwise the import goes all over the place.

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

thefixer ( ) posted Tue, 02 December 2008 at 4:17 PM

If you're using frame 30 in Vue it won't work, surprised you haven't said this Frank!! [LOL]
You need to bring the Poser frame in at 29 for it to work!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

ArtPearl ( ) posted Tue, 02 December 2008 at 4:39 PM

-Export options in Poser :
Make sure you selected/checked all parts of the dress and nothing else.
I have 'weld body part seams' and 'include body part names' checked. Not really always required but doesnt hurt.
Everything else is uncheched

-Import options in Poser:
all unchecked, as Frank said.

• Dont forget to save the new poser scene

• In vue - everything is unchecked except for 'import single frame'

Just done it and it all worked fine for m, I hope it works for you.

FrankT ( ) posted Tue, 02 December 2008 at 5:31 PM

Quote - If you're using frame 30 in Vue it won't work, surprised you haven't said this Frank!! [LOL]
You need to bring the Poser frame in at 29 for it to work!

Actually, I usually import frame 30 and it works fine but these days I tend to go for the export/import because I'll smooth it out in ZBrush

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

AVANZ ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 12:12 AM · edited Wed, 03 December 2008 at 12:20 AM

Attached Link: Charm3D

It has not worked on a MAC for a long, long time.... E-on blames Poser, but if I import the same scene in an older version of Vue6 it still works!

I don't expect this error will be solved anymore and I haven't be able to try it with Vue7 since it won't start on my Macbook. GREAT!

If you want to render a still you can simply "Spawn" a morph for the cloth on the frame you want to use, and then import the Poser scene as usual. Works for me....

See my site for a bit more adventures workaround for full Poser animations.

Cheers!

xoconostle ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 4:53 PM

Huge thanks to all for pitching in with helpful information. Still no success but I'm going to get back to it this coming weekend. 

This really is the best 3D forum at Rendo.  :-) 

MyCat ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 9:06 PM

Quote - This really is the best 3D forum at Rendo.  :-) 

It's the only one I regularly read!

xoconostle ( ) posted Sat, 21 February 2009 at 3:43 PM · edited Sat, 21 February 2009 at 3:57 PM

Apologies for reviving a dead thread, but I wanted to thank everyone who took time to try to help me again. I've tried so many techniques and nothing is working for animated sequences.

AVANZ, thanks for the "spawn morph" suggestion ... that is indeed working for single-frame dynamics, so I truly appreciate the advice.

Quote - It has not worked on a MAC for a long, long time....
E-on blames Poser, but if I import the same scene in an older version of Vue6 it still works!

Indeed it used to work for me but with the most recent/final update, it stopped again. Having looked around I see I'm not the only one who experienced the loss of functionality with the update.

Time to upgrade to 7 like everyone else I guess.  :-)  In the meantime, no dynamic cloth animations for me, only stills, but I can live with that. 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.