Mon, Oct 7, 9:52 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: A thought on Bryce 7 release

rj001 ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 2:18 AM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 9:52 PM

while laughing out loud at the april 1st gags, (though i do seem to remember previous years advertising Bryce 5.5 and Bryce 6) i had one of those lightbulb moments.

why dont we just buy the rights to the software and get it developed the way we want?

Experience is no substitute for blind faith.

http://avalon2000.livejournal.com/ - My Art Blog

50parsecs ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 3:12 AM

I honestly thought about that, but the downturn in the economy here in the States hit me particularly hard, and I'm not quite as rich as I used to be.

TheBryster ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 7:04 AM
Forum Moderator

*why dont we just buy the rights to the software and get it developed the way we want?

Because we don't have several million bucks?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

rj001 ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 7:23 AM

But is it that much? after all i doubt that it is currently worth $millions to its current owners otherwise they would be doing more with it. i just thought it might be worth finding out what it would cost, divide that by all interested parties, make a collective kitty - its like a management buyout in a way.

TheBryster ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 7:25 AM
Forum Moderator

Ok! So, who owns Bryce and how much do they want for it?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

vangogh ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 8:59 AM

I have a buck 2.89 that I could contribute to the fund.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 9:35 AM

Quote - Ok! So, who owns Bryce and how much do they want for it?

Wouldn't that be DAZ...the folks who aren't developing her.. ...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

rj001 ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 9:48 AM

As an aside in my country DAZ is the name of a washing powder, i giggle every time they are mentioned.

but seriously folks, someone must have a contact, at least lets find out what the bottom line might be,
i mean what would it be worth to true fans to have the system they really want.

dhama ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 10:04 AM

I think the main problem would be that even Daz doesn't have the right to change every part of the software, so even if we as a collective bought it out, we'd still have certain rules to obey concerning how it is developed.

This is one reason why Daz is taking so long about doing anything more with it.. with those types of restrictions, Bryce may never become the next Vue.

erosiaart ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 11:44 AM

who has the rights then to change bryce?

dhama ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 2:18 PM

I believe the original coder, or at least one of them still owns copyright on part of the code.

dan whiteside ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 7:38 PM · edited Thu, 02 April 2009 at 7:39 PM

Ken Musgrave/Pandromeda (Doc Mojo/Mojo World) offered 1 Mil $US for Bryce  and was outbid by DAZ - so that might give you an idea what it could cost.
The ownership of various parts of Bryce is debatable and would probably need to be determined by a court of law - something I'd say DAZ doesn't want to do. Who owns the code when it was entirely re-written for the PC and then the PC code was then ported to the Mac?
As far as I know, Eric Wenger still has  a license to the Bryce franchise for a small part of that code. 

DAM3D ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 9:14 PM

It would be really cool if Renderosity got it :) A community that would truely have good input for the development for sure. I wonder if "DAZ" ever comes and looks at renderosity or reads the forums?

My Rendo-Space 
Do you know where your towel is?! I love Vogon Poetry. :P
DON'T PANIC!

Portland Pirate Festival Arrrr!

Quest ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 9:49 PM

Well yes, but originally it was written for the Mac then re-written for the PC then re-ported to Mac.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryce_(software)

We've been through this before here (this is March 3, 2003):

www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php

Unfortunately my link seems to have mysteriously evaporated into cyberspace.

erosiaart ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 10:24 PM

weezerhopw.. there is one who pops in at times..from Daz.. I keep mixing  up her name..starts with D, I think. When Daz were coming up with bryce 6, she kept questioning us as to what we want...and answering us too.. I don't see her anymore.. sadly...

It would be loevely if renderosity picked up bryce from daz..lovely idea. can that ever happen? Despite the $1 million price tag?

quest..what link? the thread? it's there..fascinating read.. (btw..i find your kitten very disturbing..i so want to schooshy up his tummy and feed him some cat nibbles and pat his head and rub his nose!! :woot: )

from the wiki endry.. "Corel released version 5 of Bryce in 2001, which included several new features, like Tree Lab and metaballs. Soon followed a patch to version 5.01, which fixed some bugs and added a few undocumented features. Unfortunately, that was all Corel did with Bryce, leaving it on shelves and ignoring the requests for new features. To the growing consternation of its users, Bryce was apparently dead."

why does history seem to repeat itself here?

DAM3D ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 10:42 PM

I still have the original Bryce 3, 4 and 5 CDs and extra content as well. I really cherish it, I was so stunned that first time I rendered somthing in 1999.... I said..."WOW" and stared at it for the longest time. Then I named it.. "WOW". lol

I hope so very very much that it continues to be developed by someone.

My Rendo-Space 
DON'T PANIC!

Quest ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 11:18 PM · edited Thu, 02 April 2009 at 11:19 PM

Well Rosie, I’m taking appointments for belly rubbing, snout rubbing, nibble feeding and head petting all for just $30.95! But if you act now, I’ll slash the prize to $25.95 But if you call within the next 15 minutes you will get all 4 for $20.99. This is a must have collection!

Do you mean you can actually link to the link I offer in the thread? Because I can’t…gives me a 404 error.

erosiaart ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 11:27 PM

LOL.. I still haven't gotten a piece of that  $1 trillion.. but in the meantime..put it on my tab..so that when I get my share.. I'll clear that debt! :woot:

yup.. the thread..it works fine for me.. try clearing up your browser cache and history files?

erosiaart ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 11:28 PM

weezerhopw.. i think we all want bryce to stay alive..

Quest ( ) posted Thu, 02 April 2009 at 11:33 PM

1 trillion? What 1 trilliion? You mean I'm not getting back a part of this 1 trillion? Where the hell is everybody? Some one please tell me I'm not missing out on the trillion!

DAM3D ( ) posted Fri, 03 April 2009 at 1:34 AM

Hey! I want a piece of a trillion, I'll take just 1%, then buy a lifetime supply of hairball medicine for Quest and me. :b_unbelievable:

My Rendo-Space 
DON'T PANIC!

erosiaart ( ) posted Fri, 03 April 2009 at 2:52 AM

LOL!!!!!!!

ddaydreams ( ) posted Sat, 04 April 2009 at 7:06 PM

I love Bryce, been using it since ver 3. I hope that they can do a version 7 sometime with rendering as fast as Cararra. I have huge amount of content that I would like to revisit if I could get things done quicker.

Frank Hawkins/Owner/DigitalDaydreams

Frank_Hawkins_Design

Frank Lee Hawkins Eastern Sierra Gallery Store

My U.S.A eBay Graphics Software Store~~ My International eBay Graphics Software Store

HonorMac ( ) posted Sat, 11 April 2009 at 8:47 AM

Quote - I still have the original Bryce 3, 4 and 5 CDs and extra content as well.

I have this habit for never throwing away software...  I picked up my first copy of Bryce at MacWorld in San Francisco, while I was working for Motorola on the Starmax, (I was the ad / web chick... Nothing cool like an actual engineer or anything) and have disks for every version after that until I started downloading them...  And, I agree. It was just about the most amazing thing in the world back then. 

I did some images with that and Vista Pro that I thought were just the living end... I'd be afraid to even look at 'em now, of course.  >.>

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.