Mon, Oct 7, 3:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: OT: Posted something in Gallery.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Fri, 10 April 2009 at 8:07 AM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 3:34 PM

Not a Render :(

But was messing around in Photoshop to get the Tilt-Shift effect and I think it came out pretty good.

Posted here:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?preview_id=1863311

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 10 April 2009 at 8:23 AM
Forum Moderator

Way cool. I don't get it, but it's way cool!

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Fri, 10 April 2009 at 8:44 AM

hehehe :)

The idea behind is to take a Real Photo and give it a that "Miniature" Look.   As if the image was made of small models and than photographed.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Fri, 10 April 2009 at 1:59 PM

So what the heck is the Tilt Shift effect anyway...agree with Chris, way cool.. ...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Quest ( ) posted Fri, 10 April 2009 at 2:06 PM · edited Fri, 10 April 2009 at 2:06 PM

That's an excellent example of miniature faking! Love it!

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Fri, 10 April 2009 at 4:23 PM

Bobby:  Here is a description I found which explains it better than I could.

Tilt-Shift Miniature Faking:
Miniature faking is a post-processing technique, which involves selectively blurring a photo to simulate the narrow depth of field found in macro photography and some tilt-shift photography, making the image appear to be of a miniature model.

bikermouse ( ) posted Fri, 10 April 2009 at 6:37 PM

So in other words your narrow dof is somewhere in the middle of the frame (vertically) and that creates the effect?  Seems interesting and I thank you for the idea ... but I'd ask then - why is it called tilt and shift ? 

tom271 ( ) posted Fri, 10 April 2009 at 7:11 PM

It works....  I thought it was a lego street....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Fri, 10 April 2009 at 10:12 PM

Quote - why is it called tilt and shift ? 

its a type of photography based on camera movment and lense usage.  Great article here, better than I can explain it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt-shift_photography

HonorMac ( ) posted Sat, 11 April 2009 at 9:59 AM

Dood!  That is wild!  (Sorry... This is my first exposure to the process... I'm fascinated! :-)

Is the URL of the source image supposed to be truncated...? 'Cause I can't get to it, and I'm vurry curious.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 11 April 2009 at 11:05 AM

I will try and fix it in the gallery here is the URL.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3041/2938764662_5b885a6d70_o.jpg

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 11 April 2009 at 11:26 AM
Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sun, 12 April 2009 at 10:52 AM
Quest ( ) posted Sun, 12 April 2009 at 1:46 PM

Wow! Jackpot! LOL Nice stuff in there.

bikermouse ( ) posted Mon, 13 April 2009 at 8:20 PM

Thanks !!

ThunderStone ( ) posted Tue, 14 April 2009 at 6:10 AM

I wonder if this can be applied to a generated rendering of Bryce? The tutorial is great. Very creative and inspiring.

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

HonorMac ( ) posted Tue, 14 April 2009 at 11:50 AM

file_428599.jpg

@Analog X64:  Thank you!  That adds a lot, for me, being able to see the original and think it through from there.

I grabbed the first half-way decent gnu image I saw, to play with it a bit... Added some tweaks to light color and scrunched the image just a bit vertically, as a further experiment.  It didn't turn out as nice as yours, and only partly because it's not as good a source image, I think, but I suppose it's a decent proof of concept.  Lots of fun possibilities... Thank you!

@ThunderStone:  I would think Bryce renders would be good subjects, partly because you've got good control over "zoom" and camera height.  I think I'll look for an old render that might lend itself to trying...

HonorMac ( ) posted Tue, 14 April 2009 at 11:51 AM

file_428601.jpg

and, the source, if anybody wants to see it...

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Tue, 14 April 2009 at 4:52 PM

HonorMac: I dont know what you are talking about.. .you did a fantastic job.

Now here is a project for you.

Find an image from a Hockey Game or Soccer Game with a Top View and try that.. the Players will look like Miniature Statues.

Try it.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Tue, 14 April 2009 at 5:42 PM

file_428623.jpg

What do you think? This was taken from a project that I had done about 4 years ago. Didn't know what to do with it but thought it would be good someday to use. Well, today was that day... In the following post I will put the original one up so you can compare.

Tell me, did I get it right?

ThunderStone ( ) posted Tue, 14 April 2009 at 5:44 PM

file_428624.jpg

The original one.

HonorMac ( ) posted Wed, 15 April 2009 at 1:55 AM

file_428656.jpg

> Quote - ...the Players will look like Miniature Statues. > > Try it.

::smiles::  Actually, right after I posted the first try, I went looking for better stock, did a few i really liked, then thought I wanted to try something with people, to try to get a better sense of "miniatureness" like you got with the people and tuk tuks...  But then I got distracted looking at Burning Man pages, reading up on theme camps. >.>;;

I did get one image with people from BM07, but it has so -many- people, it's kind of busy and distracting.  -Then- I started getting distracted with the idea of HDR processes in Photoshop and trying to figure out if there was a way to use HDRI light maps in B6.

Now, Having glanced at email, come back here, gotten lost in the detail in one of Cath's WIP textures, and come back to Mini-Faking, I wanna try a few more tricks...

Custom blur masks to reflect accurate distance from the camera rather than just a bar across the image, more messing with some color overlay embossing to enhance the sense of exaggerated three-dimensionality, and maybe some pinch/punch or mesh distortion to reduce the natural sense of perspective...

Some days off, I just get nothing meaningful accomplished... But I have fun not accomplishing it. ;-)

HonorMac ( ) posted Wed, 15 April 2009 at 2:16 AM

Quote - ThunderStone: What do you think?

Wow... I think the levels of detail with all the people and traffic came out really well in this one.  The miniaturization effect is quite pronounced in several areas... 

It's a very complex, interesting source image, with all the market rows and everything... I took the liberty of grabbing it to play with a little, but none of my efforts came out nearly as well as yours did.  Very nice :-)

ThunderStone ( ) posted Wed, 15 April 2009 at 5:29 AM

@HonorMac,
Got to get the red bar in the middle of the picture. That's the key focus point.Don't forget to up the saturation and the curve.

You got it down pat in your last image. All of them are good, but I especially like the last one with the circus tent.

That looks neat!

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Wed, 15 April 2009 at 5:55 AM

I like how you guys took the idea and ran off with it, and got awesome results!!

Love it.

50parsecs ( ) posted Wed, 15 April 2009 at 3:13 PM

Very cool idea there Analog, and the rest of you folks really did a great job of showing your own examples of using this technique.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.