Fri, Sep 20, 4:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: Can one edit a vob object?

Michaelab ( ) posted Fri, 24 April 2009 at 11:27 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 2:23 AM

I have imported the Wooden Frame vob object that comes with th Vue Pro 6 extra cds, but the frame is way too thick. Is there a way, besides doing it in photoshop, of making the frame borders thinner?

Thanks,

Michael

Rich_Potter ( ) posted Fri, 24 April 2009 at 11:59 AM · edited Fri, 24 April 2009 at 12:00 PM

if you could export it as an object you could edit it in any modelling program, but I dont think vue 6 pro has that ability, so no unless you get someone else to export it.  

But since the exporter doesnt work properly youll probably loose the textures on it....

Rich

http://blog.richard-potter.co.uk

bruno021 ( ) posted Fri, 24 April 2009 at 1:08 PM

You can resize the frame on a particular axis if you want. If you're using Vue6 PS, you should do thisd with the frame loaded on the ground facing the camera, otherwise, the resizing would be wrong, since Vue6 PS doesn't allow object mode, only world.

Michaelab ( ) posted Fri, 24 April 2009 at 1:18 PM

Thanks Bruno021,

But having tried this I don't see that it does anything. If I resize on a particular
axis I then have to resize the entire frame to get it back to the dimensions it was
before, and when I do that it expands the axis to its original thickness (size)>

Michael

bruno021 ( ) posted Fri, 24 April 2009 at 2:14 PM

file_429354.jpg

Really? I think this is possible using the top view. Choose the rezize tool, and click on the little square so the resizing is not  done on all axis, but only one. Then use the middle handle on your object to resize only on one axis. Check screengrab ( From Vue7 pionner, but V6 should be the same)

Rich_Potter ( ) posted Fri, 24 April 2009 at 5:21 PM · edited Fri, 24 April 2009 at 5:22 PM

I think he means that he wants the frame to be the same size but for the interior dimensions of the frame i.e. the sides to be smaller so for example, (sorry not on a computer with photoshop or vue)

|                                      |
|          ________          |
|         |                  |          |
|         |_______ |          |
|                                      |
|________________|

becomes

|     ____________     |
|    |                           |     |
|    |                           |     |
|    |                           |     |
|    |                           |    |
|    |___________ |    |
|________________|

which could only really be done outside of vue i think...

(edit, sorry about the picutres, but you get the idea..)

Rich

bruno021 ( ) posted Sat, 25 April 2009 at 4:25 AM

Yeah, ok, I see now.

ArtPearl ( ) posted Sat, 25 April 2009 at 12:52 PM

file_429418.jpg

You can do some editing of the frame in vue using boolean operations. In the attached image on the top part I have my original frame on the right, same frame + small cube in the middle, same frame + bigger cube on the left. (you can center the cube acuratly using the align command).  I did a difference boolean for the centre frame, to get a larger hole, and a intersection boolean for the left frame, to get rid of the external bit . The resulting frames are shown in the bottom part of the image. Obviousely, you are loosing part of the patern on the frame. If you must have the same complete design, you'll need a modeling program. (I can think of a complicated set of booleans to achieve that too in vue, but you might as well build a new one from primitives...)

"I paint that which comes from the imagination or from dreams, or from an unconscious drive. I photograph the things that I do not wish to paint, the things which already have an existence."
Man Ray, modernist painter
http://artpearl.redbubble.com/

Rich_Potter ( ) posted Sat, 25 April 2009 at 1:06 PM

good idea artpearl :)

Rich

Michaelab ( ) posted Sat, 25 April 2009 at 1:10 PM

That sounds like it might work, ArtPearl.

Could you post the boolean you used? I don't know much about them.

Michael

Rich_Potter ( ) posted Sat, 25 April 2009 at 1:12 PM

its a boolean difference, just make a cube and add the frame then select them both, choose boolean difference and then make sure the cube is below the frame in the world browser on the left.

Rich

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.