Fri, Sep 20, 12:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: DIY Night-Lights City for Poser

infinity10 ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2009 at 10:01 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 12:34 PM

file_430618.jpg

I created a procedurally-generated cityscape inside Blender.  I used 3 different creator's city generation scripts.  The one in my example is Piiichan's Suicidator City Generator script.

I exported the mesh as OBJ. I created a Box UV material inside UVMapper.  I re-saved the OBJ.

I imported the OBJ into Poser 7

I created a randomly-generated base texture with B D Tibbett's city_gen texture generator application.  I included this as part of a shader I devised for city night-lights effect in Materials Room of Poser.

Results as shown.

Because of the many variations in cityscape and texturing possible, a wide variety of cityscapes may be created for use as Poser backgrounds.

Eternal Hobbyist

infinity10 ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2009 at 10:02 AM

Eternal Hobbyist

befanini ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2009 at 10:06 AM

Song suddenly running through my head...

"You belong to the city
You belong to the night..."

^__^

Congrats, it looks GREAT!

infinity10 ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2009 at 10:08 AM · edited Mon, 11 May 2009 at 10:10 AM

Because the OBJ has Box material UV mapping,  I believe DAZ Studio users can try applying city night light jpgs such as these here by  Jacob Charles Dietz ( under his textures section ):

[http://site.jacobcharlesdietz.com/

](http://site.jacobcharlesdietz.com/)

DS users will need to import the OBJ, of course.

Eternal Hobbyist

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2009 at 11:14 AM

You've been taking lessons from bagginsbill, haven't you?  hehe

Very nice!  Thanks so much :)

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Porthos ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2009 at 12:27 PM

Very nice, thank you! :)

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 12.0GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7770

PoserPro 2012 (SR1) - Units: Metres , Corel PSP X4 and PSE 9

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2009 at 12:33 PM

Quote -  Here is the shader I used in that render:

http://ibr-remote.deviantart.com/art/City-Night-Lights-Shader-for-P-122172971

this is oen texture connected to the diffuse and alternative diffuse. hmmm i dont think this will look very good.

infinity10 ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2009 at 10:18 PM

Quote -
this is oen texture connected to the diffuse and alternative diffuse. hmmm i dont think this will look very good.

Folk can change the settings to suit the result they wish to get.  

I'd really like to get some variation in the colour itself - some blue-whites, reds, greens.

Eternal Hobbyist

pitklad ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2009 at 5:15 AM

Very useful! thank you very much!

My FreeStuff

infinity10 ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2009 at 11:29 AM

file_430676.jpg

Thanks Everyone !!

I just want to share an incomplete test using DAZ Studio, done with the help of fellow Renderosity member befanini.

Seems workable if you paint up your own texture map.

Rendered in DAZ Studio with background created using Stellarium.  Texture map is an incompletely painted-over template from UVmapper texture export.

Eternal Hobbyist

infinity10 ( ) posted Wed, 13 May 2009 at 4:28 AM · edited Wed, 13 May 2009 at 4:30 AM

I just want to stress the importance of the UVmapping step AFTER exporting exporting from Blender and BEFORE importing into Poser (or Daz Studio):
Example here:
Importance of UVmapping by ~ibr-remote on deviantART

After exporting the procedurally-generated city meshes from Blender, it is important to process the mesh to create the appropriate material zones for texturing purposes.

I chose UVmapper and used Box for the new UVmap.

Then I re-saved the OBJ.

The example shows the group of buildings on the left without the new UVmapped material, and the group on the right, with.

The group of buildings on the right work correctly with the city night lights texture shaders, inside Poser.

Eternal Hobbyist

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.