Mon, Sep 9, 7:08 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Poser model polygon count: what's the average ?

papillon68 ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 11:26 AM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 6:53 AM

I'd like to ask if there is a sort of standard polygon count, or a range, that is commonly used ? I'v been trying a little myself and found out that 300K polygons is the limit beyond which Poser grouping and boning operations start to be difficult to use.

Also would like to know, if it's possible, what average polygon count artist use here at the Renderosity market ...

visit my blog:  www.alessandromastronardi.com

My Rendo Store

geep ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 12:12 PM · edited Mon, 29 June 2009 at 12:12 PM

This is NOT a standard but ...

0-10K polygons = Low poly
10K - 100K polygons = Medium poly <<< (many Poser figure fall into this category)
< 100K polygons = High poly

JMVHPO ... ;=]

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

FrankT ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 1:39 PM

Psst - that last one should be > 100K
:biggrin:

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

geep ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 1:53 PM · edited Mon, 29 June 2009 at 1:53 PM

Quote - This is NOT a standard but ...

0-10K polygons = Low poly
10K - 100K polygons = Medium poly <<< (many Poser figure fall into this category)
> 100K polygons = High poly

JMVHPO ... ;=]

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

That's what I said, diddle I? :lol:
Thnx Frank for the correction ..... dam keyboreed dont no howe two spel ether. ... ;=[

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 3:02 PM

I've personally done a couple of clothing items that are over 100k.  What exactly are you trying to rig?  I remember the guy that did an "iron man" suit model here got someone to rig it in Poser for him and it was something like 250k or more polys, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

My Freebies

papillon68 ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 4:23 PM

I'm modeling mostly dinosaurs and prehistoric sea reptiles using ZBrush: the one I'm doing now, a liopleurodon, has eight subdivision levels, ranging from 4K to 21 millions: I have two levels that might be suitable with poser, one at 70K and one at about 300K. Probably 70K will be ok since the animal has a quite smooth shape. Probably it's a matter of trying and seeing what quality I can achieve with both levels and then decide which to use ...

My Rendo Store

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 6:30 PM · edited Mon, 29 June 2009 at 6:30 PM

If you're coming straight out of Zbrush you're going to end up with huge amounts of polys that probably don't need to be there.  A common technique is to first sculpt the model in Zbrush and then re-topologize it when a conventional modeler using poygon snapping:
http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=49536
http://www.silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3929

(you may already be aware of this, not trying to talk down to you)

My Freebies

papillon68 ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 3:07 PM

Quote - If you're coming straight out of Zbrush you're going to end up with huge amounts of polys that probably don't need to be there.  A common technique is to first sculpt the model in Zbrush and then re-topologize it when a conventional modeler using poygon snapping:
http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=49536
http://www.silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3929
(you may already be aware of this, not trying to talk down to you)

Ehi no problem, instead I have to thank you for those link, they will surely be helpful. About my ZBrush workflow, as other users do I use the highest subdivision level to create the displacement (bump) map: and of course I use a lower level (say around 100K) as the standard mesh in Vue or similar softwares.

My Rendo Store

nruddock ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2009 at 4:56 PM

Also, don't forget that you can probably keep the polygon count well down and use a displacement (or normal map) and/or a bump map to add some of the (fine) detail.

DarksealStudios ( ) posted Thu, 02 July 2009 at 4:22 AM

And now you can use the DECIMATION master!! I can't wait to really make something cool for poser and decimate it, i still need to read a bit on it (like does it decimate the uvs?)

My Store   My Gallery    Contact

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.