Mon, Sep 16, 11:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 7:48 pm)

Subject: Poser 8 advertised!

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 01 July 2009 at 4:32 PM

Quote - >> "Photoshop opens fairly rapidly,"

CS4 Photoshop and Poser open at about the same speed on my MacBook.

That 'splains some of it (I don't have CS-anything for P-Shop... still using a way old version :) )

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 01 July 2009 at 4:34 PM

Quote - Ummm - rooms you don't use do not consume CPU cycles. They don't really initialize unless you open them.

And I suspect they take very little RAM, so there's no real savings versus the headache that would entail for the developers.

Separate libraries, then, or ...?

(now I'm gonna have to go look :? )

nruddock ( ) posted Wed, 01 July 2009 at 5:13 PM

Quote - > Quote - Ummm - rooms you don't use do not consume CPU cycles. They don't really initialize unless you open them.

And I suspect they take very little RAM, so there's no real savings versus the headache that would entail for the developers.

Separate libraries, then, or ...?

(now I'm gonna have to go look :? )

Poser is a large (mostly) static linked executable.
DLLs have always been used for Python and the geometry I/O plugins (none of which appear to be delay loaded) and of course for all the system stuff that gets pulled in eventually.
P5 brought in some more (Dynamic cloth engine and some for image I/O).
P6 Unchanged.
P7 A few more (OGL shading, Collada)

A reasonable chunk of memory will also be used by the GUI resources (mutli-layer PSDs for decorating the controls etc.)

wingnut1 ( ) posted Sat, 04 July 2009 at 11:14 AM

I picked up the 3D World magazine today and seen the full page advert for Poser 8 on page 37. The hair detail (hair, eyebrows etc) on the model looks very convincing, though the lighting is too high key for my taste. Softer lighting might have made the model look even more lifelike in the advert, as would less contrast and less saturated skin tones IMHO.
On page 15 there is a picture of "Girl with Earring" by Steven Sun and he managed what I think is perfectly convincing facial skin and eyes, and lovely use of lighting. Steven has apparently only been doing 3D work for two years and I think if he can produce work of this calibre in so short a time, then there is hope for newbies like me.

722 ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2009 at 6:54 AM

My new computer  Quad core , 8G ram 1G video card  Poser 7 Pro constantly crashes . Sad and angry  that i bot  a computer that poser will not work on  , I had no heads up that there where computers -- video cards Drivers that poser will NOT work with . thanks  smithy mac!
 Don't thank  I can buy Poser 8 when it comes out ,because it probably will not  work either.

And the award of record preference wipes go's to .,.................ME!!   thank you , thank you. 

DCArt ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2009 at 6:59 AM

What video card/driver?

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2009 at 10:41 AM

9/10 it's video drivers that cause a poser crash these days, make sure you've got the VERY latest from the manufacturer & not just relying on the Microsoft default drivers as they're worse than useless.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

WandW ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2009 at 11:24 AM

I was just browsing at Poserworld, and they now state that their products are Poser 8 compatible...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

OrphanedSoul ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2009 at 11:38 AM

Quote - My new computer  Quad core , 8G ram 1G video card  Poser 7 Pro constantly crashes . Sad and angry  that i bot  a computer that poser will not work on  , I had no heads up that there where computers -- video cards Drivers that poser will NOT work with . thanks  smithy mac!
 Don't thank  I can buy Poser 8 when it comes out ,because it probably will not  work either.

And the award of record preference wipes go's to .,.................ME!!   thank you , thank you. 

I would check for the latest vidiocard drivers first, also you vid card can be replaced, also the P7P update SR1 helped with the crashes quite a bit! I also had to uninstall p7 as they had a conflict for some reason so PP would work.

I just built a new pc with 12 megs of ram and an I7 quadcore and poser will still only use 3 megs of ram, also I am using windows 7 beta whch is much faster than vista. my vidio card works with poser but vue doesnt like it and says it is out of date, like you just once I would like them to think about cg artist instead of just bucks!

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2009 at 5:23 PM

Quote - I was just browsing at Poserworld, and they now state that their products are Poser 8 compatible...

How do they define that? or is this just brash marketing?

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2009 at 5:32 PM

if shanks is a tester, and if it's now o.k. for them to talk about it in a limited way, then he would know.

DarksealStudios ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 1:18 AM

I read about 70% of this thread and still have to ask....

what kinda of release date/month are we talkin about?

..or did i miss sometin in the tread?

My Store   My Gallery    Contact

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 1:36 AM

They said after siggraph which is in early august.
Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

JimTS ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 4:22 AM

Don't see the poll results at SM's site so curious to see what "improvements" won at the polls

A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket
Charles Péguy

Heat and animosity, contest and conflict, may sharpen the wits, although they rarely do;they never strengthen the understanding, clear the perspicacity, guide the judgment, or improve the heart
Walter Savage Landor

So is that TTFN or TANSTAAFL?

722 ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 5:33 AM

Quote - > Quote - My new computer  Quad core , 8G ram 1G video card  Poser 7 Pro constantly crashes . Sad and angry  that i bot  a computer that poser will not work on  , I had no heads up that there where computers -- video cards Drivers that poser will NOT work with . thanks  smithy mac!

I would check for the latest vidiocard drivers first, also you vid card can be replaced, also the P7P update SR1 helped with the crashes quite a bit! I also had to uninstall p7 as they had a conflict for some reason so PP would work.

I just built a new pc with 12 megs of ram and an I7 quadcore and poser will still only use 3 megs of ram, also I am using windows 7 beta whch is much faster than vista. my vidio card works with poser but vue doesnt like it and says it is out of date, like you just once I would like them to think about cg artist instead of just bucks!

Yep first  thing I did was clean  the pref,,, out  did not fix it , so it keep  crashing so , uninsulated and reinstalled , that did not work  so you go to Smithy Mac  site look up help for the problem  the fix it for the possible problem did not work (vid driver up date and change video driver settings ,didn't work ), 

So as a last resort got in contact with tech support ,been email tennis for a week with that .

SeanMartin ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 6:19 AM

I'm gonna be a little harsh here, so apologies in advance, okay?

Those of us who are old enough to remember should recall the problems that came down with version 3 of Illustrator on a Mac. It installed beautifully but wouldnt open. It was driving Adobe crazy to hear all these complaints, because no one could figure it out.

Then finally someone realized it was because of a single font, that if you had that font as your choice for your overall system, something in Illustrator didnt like it and would forbid opening the program. It was a simple patch to fix it, but it took forever to solve what was going on. Still, Adobe didnt say, "Look, not our problem; deal with it yourselves." They found the issue and corrected it.

Having said that, consider how complicated computers have become in the decade and a half since Illustrator 3. Every manufacturer has a different approach and uses a different graphics card, a different this, a different that. I dont know what you're running, but I think I can say, with pretty good assurance, that the problem is not Smith Micro's not building a program that can run but one that has problems with whatever the set up is on your specific machine. Were the fora rampant with stories like yours, yes, you would have a good case that it's all SM's fault — but they're not. In the main, Poser 7 has been the most stable release of this thing since version 4. True, it's not perfect, but no program these days is: everything has some weird little bug that no one caught in testing because the manufacturers dont have access to an infinite number of computers and their respective operating systems to work with. As I wrote in another thread, I've run P7 on three separate generations of Mac laptops, and, with the occasional hiccup, P7 runs excellently on all on three, everything from a last-gasp Power PC G3 to a dual-core Intel G5.

Bottom line: you cant blame Smith Micro for this. You've not said what your machine is, nor its specs, but I assume (and confidently so) that the problem is there, not in some conspiracy by SM to steal your money and run off laughing like some maniacal Simon Legree. I would earnestly recommend you start by looking at the system requirements printed on the side of the box and comparing them to your machine. Chances are, you'll find soon enough why it's not working.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 11:57 AM

justdusty: what OS are you running? I'm guessing Vista 32 bit, since most computers are delivered with Vista 32 bit these days, even if a 64 bit OS would make far better use of the hardware. This is a widespread form of PC vendor stupidity.

Also remember that Poser 7 was released before the Vista RCs. So it's not too surprising that it won't install correctly by default under Vista - you have to alter some settings during setup.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 11:58 AM

I can blame them for the long-standing bugs with Poser's rigging (inherited from previous owners but still)

My Freebies

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 1:37 PM

Mind you, I agree with Sean's basic assessment, but there's a couple of things that could use some expansion.

Quote -
Having said that, consider how complicated computers have become in the decade and a half since Illustrator 3. Every manufacturer has a different approach and uses a different graphics card, a different this, a different that.

Actually, it is far more complex, but far more stable than you think, especially with our particular corner of the world.

The complexity is mostly hardware, which has gone wild with options and new tech.

However, all that hardware has to hew to common software APIs, which has been far more stable over time than you suspect...

On the Mac side, OSX has had Carbon and Cocoa since it first launched nine years ago... and the only changes of note so far have been the inclusion of Universal Binaries, and the gradual phasing-out of Carbon (which was originally meant to be a temporary compatibility bennie anyway).

On the Windows side, everything began shifting to .NET back in 2001 or so, though C++ still works just fine on it for the engines and heavy-lifting. Aside from DirectX (which most of the CG world ignores), there really hasn't been too many big bumps, with most of those being related to Vista and security changes. If you wrote your code correctly in the first place, you wouldn't have had to worry too much even about that (and yes, this is a OSX/Linux guy praising them for that).

For UI and eye-candy issues, OpenGL hasn't really done too much at all as far as disrupting compatibility since Poser 5 (when it first got OpenGL inclusions, IIRC), which came out, what 6 years ago? I'm fairly sure that 6-year-old OpenGL calls should still work just fine today, with only minimum disruption (which is why you use OGL in the first place, so you don't have to go chasing multiple version shifts on multiple cards to accommodate multiple vidcard drivers/modules, etc).

It wouldn't have taken too much effort for SM/eF/EGI/CL/whoever to rewrite to pure OGL, with UI elements written to either .NET or Cocoa (or do what DAZ did and go straight to Qt for that).

For a bit of a comparison, take a peek at Unreal Tournament (the game) sometime. Its codebase is well over ten years old now, it has gained a shedload of features and GPU-punishing horsepower, yet its UI and core are still as flexible and nimble as a Russian gymnast overdosed on Glucosamine. 

Hell, look at OSX. An operating system is 5000x more complex than anything Poser can come up with, has to play nicely with bare metal (which does change with alarming frequency), and yet each iteration of OSX runs faster and smoother (so far) than previous versions.

Quote - I dont know what you're running, but I think I can say, with pretty good assurance, that the problem is not Smith Micro's not building a program that can run but one that has problems with whatever the set up is on your specific machine.

Not so sure about that one, either. Apples come in a very (relatively) small variety of flavors, with little in the way of hardware or OS customization (now if it were typical for Mac users to be playing with Onyx or other system tweakers, okay... but c'mon - it ain't that common at all).

Even on the Windows side, we've got, what, NVIDIA, ATI, or Intel (blecch) for video (all of which implement OpenGL, DX, SDL, Qt whatever), common frameworks for Vista or XP/2000 (with, granted, service packs)? None of these are insurmountable (thanks to Visual Studio), truth be told. So unless we're talking about gamers whose home page happens to be Tom's Hardware or hexus.net, I doubt that it would be all that big of a deal on the Windows side either.

Quote - In the main, Poser 7 has been the most stable release of this thing since version 4. True, it's not perfect, but no program these days is: everything has some weird little bug that no one caught in testing because the manufacturers dont have access to an infinite number of computers and their respective operating systems to work with.

Depends on the bug, really... little errors that only occur under certain obscure conditions usually don't (and honestly shouldn't) be worried about unless/until the biggies are squashed.

OTOH, if the bug is systemic and tends to break things under common conditions, well...

WandW ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 2:03 PM · edited Mon, 06 July 2009 at 2:03 PM

Quote -
what kinda of release date/month are we talkin about?

The ad says to see it at SIGGRAPH, which is the week of  August 3rd...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

SeanMartin ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 2:04 PM

>> Apples come in a very (relatively) small variety of flavors

Except that I wasnt speaking specifically to the Mac side. Yes, I'm running it on three machines, and they're all happy little campers. But as I pointed out, the kind of systematic failure the poster described? We havent seen a flood of posts on that, not here, nor at CPs fora when they were around. People have issues with some thing or another, but not to the degree that he was talking about... which suggests to me that it's not Poser. It's his machine and however it's been set up. As such, to rant and rave about SmithMicro when the problem isnt theirs... well, seems a bit unfair.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 2:37 PM

Quote - However, all that hardware has to hew to common software APIs, which has been far more stable over time than you suspect...

I didn't even read the rest. I have to cry bullshit, because I am right in the middle of that bogus belief system right now.

I've worked an extra 3 f'ing weeks on Poser 8, trying to make the UI mouse clicks and wheel events to work the same in PC and MAC. I'm programming in Adobe Flex/Flash, which means I'm not even dealing with the OS from different vendors - I'm dealing only with the Adobe standard UI interface API.

It does not work the same. And if Smith Micro would just tell you Mac f'ers to go to hell, my life would be a lot simpler. I am busting my balls trying to making the God DAMN Macintosh work like it is supposed to. We're talking about simple things like Mouse Down, Mouse Up.

If it sounds like I'm a little sick of the "standard API" idea, I really am. I've had a much easier time when I wrote my own GUI in assembly language directly to the hardware.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 2:59 PM

whoa! I just noticed that 722 is using "bean" as avatar.  whilst I hated "bean", I loved blackadder.

but anyway, bill, the OS X.4/5/6 market share of some of these softwares is only around 10% (or less), hence why not hand off the OS X interface work to one of yer colleagues? no need to take out yer frustrations, however justifiable, on our hapless mac brethren.  I know the admins here treat ya with kid gloves because they value yer input, but it's not a licence to abuse IMVHO.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 3:13 PM

if that was abuse, we need some seriously thicker skins round here.....that wasn't even close to abuse.

RAMWorks ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 3:31 PM

Nah.... I would call that downright frustration to the Nth degree.  I understand about that plenty.  Hope you get it sorted out bb!

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

aeilkema ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 3:34 PM · edited Mon, 06 July 2009 at 3:36 PM

Quote - whoa! I just noticed that 722 is using "bean" as avatar.  whilst I hated "bean", I loved blackadder.

but anyway, bill, the OS X.4/5/6 market share of some of these softwares is only around 10% (or less), hence why not hand off the OS X interface work to one of yer colleagues? no need to take out yer frustrations, however justifiable, on our hapless mac brethren.  I know the admins here treat ya with kid gloves because they value yer input, but it's not a licence to abuse IMVHO.

I agree, I'm not a MAC user, but no reason to treat them like this. No one forced you to test on macs and pc's, you choose to do that, you could also stick to testing on the system you mainly use and let others test on the other type of system.

You seem to get away with a lot lately..... abuse.... breaking the NDA your under.... swearing.... attacks..... Anyone else might have been banned by now.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

WandW ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 3:42 PM

Lot of self appointed moderators...

I hope you get it sorted out, Bill.  I suppose I'm  fortunate, as I've only been beating my head getting my old laptop to hibernate under Debian 5...
boom...

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 3:43 PM

then don't read it and grow a skin.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 4:12 PM

Given that the very first version of Poser was Mac only, dont blame us for being long-term users. :)

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 4:27 PM

I had Poser 1 on PC ... I think it did come out on Mac first, but it was eventually released for PC. Came on one or two 3-1/2 inch disks. Wow, have times changed. LOL

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 5:23 PM

Quote - > Quote - However, all that hardware has to hew to common software APIs, which has been far more stable over time than you suspect...

I didn't even read the rest. I have to cry bullshit, because I am right in the middle of that bogus belief system right now.

I've worked an extra 3 f'ing weeks on Poser 8, trying to make the UI mouse clicks and wheel events to work the same in PC and MAC. I'm programming in Adobe Flex/Flash, which means I'm not even dealing with the OS from different vendors - I'm dealing only with the Adobe standard UI interface API.

It does not work the same. And if Smith Micro would just tell you Mac f'ers to go to hell, my life would be a lot simpler. I am busting my balls trying to making the God DAMN Macintosh work like it is supposed to. We're talking about simple things like Mouse Down, Mouse Up.

Guess that means we shouldn't be asking for a Linux version, then. Since the current Mac OS is based on OpenBSD...

Metaphor of Chooks

WandW ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 6:33 PM

Quote -
Guess that means we shouldn't be asking for a Linux version, then. Since the current Mac OS is based on OpenBSD...

True, but the desktop is all Apple.  Poser7 runs decently under Wine, so merely building it with Winelib should get it close for Linux...

SeanMartin ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 6:58 PM

Quote - > Quote -

True, but the desktop is all Apple.  Poser7 runs decently under Wine, so merely building it with Winelib should get it close for Linux...

C'mon, you dont want Bill to go into complete meltdown, do you? :)

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 7:02 PM

Quote - C'mon, you dont want Bill to go into complete meltdown, do you? :)

heheheheheh Bill's been trying to help me learn shaders, which must have taxed his patience to breaking point... don't you think I've pushed him to that point before?
I really should send him something fermented - not sure if Bundy rum is something he'd find at all appealing, though... (what us Aussies have in times of duress)

Metaphor of Chooks

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 8:10 PM

I can't believe how some people react to me. As if you were sure you understood that I was insulting somebody, or that I break rules you think you understand, or that I'm a regular and frequent asshole who doesn't like you or care about your needs. Again, I have to point out that if I was going to insult you, you'd be so insulted that you wouldn't even be able to type.

Let me take this apart for you.

When I call somebody "f ' er", I'm having fun and being myself, which includes a lot of good-natured ribbing. Some loading-dock vocabulary is fun for me as I am usually amongst a bunch of suits.

Smith Micro would like to support the Mac people. I would not, unless it was worth it. In my opinion, it doesn't seem to be worth it. Making the software work the same across the platforms, even with so-called right-once-run-anywhere software SDKs, is a lot of work and a lot of money.

Nevertheless, I agreed to build this UI for both PC and Mac. It has turned out that the common API for GUI under Adobe Flash is unreliable across platforms. As a result, I have been tasked with trying endless new combinations to make it work on the Mac, ON MY NICKLE.

My reaction and comment was partly because in some past postings, I've seen whining and complaining about SM's commitment to customers, and commitment to the Mac. Let me make this clear to you. SM is bending over backwards to make this work right on a Mac, and as a result, despite what I would do, it will work on a Mac. You can thank them, not me, because I'd have cut the Mac loose already. There aren't enough of you buying this to justify the effort and expense I've put into it. You Mac users should put together a formal letter of thanks and send it to SM.

As to nobody forcing me to test on a Mac, that's incorrect. SM is "forcing" me to make this work on a Mac because I agreed to. But I cannot test for the Mac because I do not have a Mac or any access to one. So I submit new software and the testers test it. I dont' test it, because I can't. I'd need 30 computers to do the various test cases I'm dealing with. I understand that isn't "forced" in that I made an agreement that wasn't coerced. I did so under the assumption that I'd be using Adobe software that is guaranteed to work the same on all platforms. That assumption has proved incorrect, and now it's costing me, personally, literally thousands of dollars.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

RAMWorks ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 8:23 PM

Bill, have you contacted Adobe, perhaps they can help you out??  It's their software.  Might be someone there that knows a work around or something for this sort of issue (s) your having making it cross platform.

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 8:23 PM

Quote - You seem to get away with a lot lately..... abuse.... breaking the NDA your under.... swearing.... attacks..... Anyone else might have been banned by now.

This stuff really cracks me up. You're really not putting 2 and 2 together very well.

I have told you guys that the Poser leadership team reads this thread. I have told you that I speak to them every week. I have told you that they know everything I say here. I have told you that they find this thread very interesting. Are you still unable to read between the lines? 

For the really slooooow learners, read this: I did not "break" my Non Disclosure Agreement - Daddy said I could say whatever I wanted.

As for the swearing, I wasn't aware that was a problem. I see pictures of huge tits and large dicks and swollen balls all the time here so I figured this was a pretty racy place. I was sure that some letters that spell bad words was not going to be a problem. I don't swear too much online, but believe me, what I'm dealing with right now calls for it.

But you raise an interesting point. Anyone else might have been banned now, eh? That's a fascinating thought. Banned for what exactly? 

I was going to give you some P8 renders, something nobody else is allowed to do.

But, now maybe I'll just lick my balls for a while.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 8:24 PM · edited Mon, 06 July 2009 at 8:25 PM

Quote - Bill, have you contacted Adobe, perhaps they can help you out??  It's their software.  Might be someone there that knows a work around or something for this sort of issue (s) your having making it cross platform.

It isn't just their (Adobe's) software. There are 4 layers between me and the mouse. I won't really explain more. Suffice it to say I know my job.

stallion ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 8:26 PM

but we have faith in you BB
just like that little engine
we know you can
we know you can
we know you can
for it is moments like this that prove that the human mind is the greatest computer..

You might as well PAY attention, because you can't afford FREE speech

SeanMartin ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 8:40 PM

>> "When I call somebody "f ' er", I'm having fun and being myself, which includes a lot of good-natured ribbing. Some loading-dock vocabulary is fun for me as I am usually amongst a bunch of suits."

Perhaps it is to you, but without any other clues (like the occasional emoticon), it just came across as mean-spirited. As you say, you know your job. You know what's expected of you. Rather than come here and complain, I earnestly suggest you just suck it up and deal with it, as opposed to "jokingly" insulting the folks who, in their clearly miniscule way, pay for your job.

We all have technical issues to deal with. I'm working on over 250 short animations, all due pretty much last week, and some of them are f'ing disasters because I cant get the damn rigging to work like I need it to. But I'm not gonna whine at the guy writing the cheque. I'm gonna figure it out and send the invoice in and move on to the next assignment.

Further, whatever your position outside SM might be, right now, in this thread, you represent the company. You've made that pretty clear. SM probably wouldnt take too well to having someone on their staff (even as an outside consultant) trashing part of their customer base in an open forum, no matter how you may have intended it.

If you need to blow off steam at having to deal with Mac platform, this is not — trust me, not — the place to do it.

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 8:46 PM

as a mac user I appreciat all the efforttconsidering how diffiucult it seems to be - so i don't feel trashed
Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

wheatpenny ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 8:53 PM
Site Admin

Guys, let's keep this civil.

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 8:56 PM

Sean,

Are you gaslighting me?

Do people read my posts in isolation, and ignore the statement that I was reacting to? You seem to be reading things in the wrong order or something.

I did not jump in here to insult the Mac and its users.  I was responding to a claim by Penguinisto that "all that hardware has to hew to common software APIs, which has been far more stable over time than you suspect". I disagree with "stable" as if that means that cross-platform testing is much easier than it used to be.

My response was to explain that cross-platform testing is as hard as ever, despite these common APIs. And rather than just make some wild response unencumbered by facts or direct knowledge, I described what is happening with Flex on Mac versus PC.

It was then taken as some sort of insult to Mac users, when in fact I was insulting Penguinisto. :) It was HIM I was contradicting.

I really don't like it when people filter what I've said and what I've quoted. Read the whole post, including the quote.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 9:28 PM · edited Mon, 06 July 2009 at 9:35 PM

>> Are you gaslighting me?

Per Jeff's request, I'm going to keep this civil.

Pointed, but civil.

If your insult was directed at Penguinisto, you indicated that only in passing,. Instead, you marched straight into a mini-rant about how Mac was such a problem, that Smith Micro was bending over backwards to accommodate Mac users, that you were frustrated with having to deal with it in the first place. Having done that, you came back later and said "Ha ha, just kidding, guys", when in fact there was nothing in your post to indicate you were kidding at all.

I suggest you go back and re-read your first post on the matter. Pretend for the moment that someone else wrote it. Take the words at face value, with — as you request — no filtering.

>> "And if Smith Micro would just tell you Mac f'ers to go to hell, my life would be a lot simpler. I am busting my balls trying to making the God DAMN Macintosh work like it is supposed to. We're talking about simple things like Mouse Down, Mouse Up."

Now, tell us how we're supposed to react to that.

WandW ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 9:35 PM

Quote - Guys, let's keep this civil.

Cool currency in your sig! 😄

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 9:36 PM

no Sean.

for once I'm going to be blunt.

he made a passing comment. Not a mini Rant. you are blowing this out of proportion.

for once.. just stop the drama.

just stop.

wheatpenny ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 9:39 PM
Site Admin

Quote - Cool currency in your sig! 😄

Thanks.

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

SeanMartin ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 9:46 PM

*>> " for once I'm going to be blunt.

he made a passing comment. Not a mini Rant"*

That's your interpretation. 

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 9:49 PM

and your blowing it out of all proportion.

have some consideration for the rest of us. and Stop The Drama.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 9:52 PM

I've said my peace on this.

Go find your "drama" elsewhere.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.