Sun, Sep 15, 11:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Repositioning manipulator

DocMatter ( ) posted Fri, 29 August 2008 at 11:24 PM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 6:49 PM

I'm trying to create a morph target in an existing mesh of a room with a door that doesn't open.  I've selected the door polygons and want to rotate them to create a morph that opens the door.  However, the manipulator is at the center of the door so it rotates from the center of the door, not the edge.  Is there a way I can make it rotate from the edge?
Thanks!

bwtr ( ) posted Fri, 29 August 2008 at 11:58 PM

file_413003.jpg

Go into 4 screen mode. In say, Top or Front view, whilst holding down the CAPS LOCK, move the manipulator to the edge you want.

(Unclick the caps lock)

Then when you apply the turning manipulator it will work as desired.

Brian

bwtr

Letterworks ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2008 at 12:00 AM

Hold Control and select a pont (or edge) on the side of the door you want it to pivot on (where the hinges are) and that should point should become the new centerpoint for rotation. It might take a couple to get use to it.

DocMatter ( ) posted Sat, 30 August 2008 at 12:01 AM

Thank you both!  That's just what I was looking for!  ;)

DocMatter ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2009 at 5:26 PM

For some strange reason, neither of the above methods seems to work anymore.  (I'm using C Pro 7.2.)
When I try the CapLock method, the whole door moves along with the manipulator.
When I try the Control key method, the entire view rotates to a new view without doing anything to the manipulator.
I'm stumped!

bwtr ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2009 at 8:48 PM

Interesting, 7.2 works fine if you do not hold the Caps Lock down.

(Four Screen Mode)
So, click caps lock
Move manipulator.
Click caps lock again.
Brian

bwtr

50parsecs ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 2:04 PM

I have a question. Is the door you are trying to make open a separate mesh? You say you are
"trying to create a morph target in an existing mesh of a room with a door that doesn't open" If the door isn't a separate object group than none of the advice they have given you will work. You would have to cut the door out of the room mesh in order to open it. Sorry if this is already obvious to you. Just trying to cover all the basses in order to solve the problem.

DocMatter ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 2:45 PM

It's separate enough that I can select it and translate and rotate it.  I'm just trying to move the manipulator over so it doesnt' rotate at its middle.
Thanks for asking, though!

fpfrdn3 ( ) posted Tue, 14 July 2009 at 1:45 AM

Select the whole object, then use Ctrl+Alt on a vertex near the edge you want. The vertex will turn yellow and you can use that to pivot.

DocMatter ( ) posted Thu, 16 July 2009 at 9:11 AM

Thanks all!  I think I finally figured it all out!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.