Sun, Sep 22, 1:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: how to show the folder materials in the categories?

glassfairy ( ) posted Thu, 23 July 2009 at 4:55 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 1:21 PM

in poser there r 8 categories displayed by default....figures. pose,expression,hair, props, lights,camera & hands...

how can i add the folder materials to this?

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 23 July 2009 at 5:01 PM · edited Thu, 23 July 2009 at 5:02 PM

You have to switch to the material room to see those.

Your only other option is to make ALL your material files .pz2 (or pose) files, and that requires editing.

Laurie

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 23 July 2009 at 7:49 PM
Online Now!

Ditto to LaurieA's answer.  The material folder only shows up when you switch to the Material Room.

glassfairy ( ) posted Fri, 24 July 2009 at 12:36 AM

ok thanx ...its working now....but y doesnt it take the mt5 file when exporting as obj or collect inventory from scene

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 24 July 2009 at 12:55 AM

I don't think procedural mats will export with the figure (only maybe the base colors). Is that what you mean?

If it's got texture maps, they should be included in the .mtl file with the .obj. Just not the procedurals.

Laurie

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 24 July 2009 at 12:57 AM

If it makes you feel any better, it looks like Poser 8 will be able to see the materials from the main tab.

Laurie

glassfairy ( ) posted Fri, 24 July 2009 at 6:35 AM

actually i want to export the file from poser n import it into maya...but when i export it as obj ...its not showing the materials in maya...especially if its mt5 kind .

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 24 July 2009 at 7:55 AM

Exporting as application-portable OBJ does not produce Poser proprietary format material files (mt5 or mc6). Only saving materials to your Poser library via the "+" button does that.

All you get with OBJ is a corresponding .MTL file that contains exteremely basic material instructions. Nothing with nodes or Poser specific capabilities will be exported.

Even if you did save the material as a Poser material, it would not work in Maya. There is no universal material representation, as every application has a unique way of defining material properties.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

lowpoly ( ) posted Fri, 24 July 2009 at 7:59 AM

You didn't mention which version of Poser you are using.

There is "PoserFusion" builtin to Poser Pro which allows export to Maya with many features retained.

glassfairy ( ) posted Sat, 25 July 2009 at 12:04 PM

then is there a way i can convert mt5 to some format so tht i can apply it to my obj in maya?

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 25 July 2009 at 12:08 PM · edited Sat, 25 July 2009 at 12:09 PM

Quote - I don't think procedural mats will export with the figure (only maybe the base colors). Is that what you mean?

If it's got texture maps, they should be included in the .mtl file with the .obj. Just not the procedurals.

Laurie

I just looked at my last post and I'm sort of incorrect on one thing: if the model your exporting to .obj contains texture maps, the MAPS won't be included in the .mtl file, but the references to the texture maps.

I don't have Maya and nor have I ever used it. I can't help thinking though that since Poser's procedurals are proprietary, there would be no Maya equivalent of them and no way to get them to work in Maya other than fiddling in Maya to approximate what they look like in Poser.

Laurie

markschum ( ) posted Sat, 25 July 2009 at 3:19 PM

when you export an obj the mtl file will point to any image maps and also includes the base colors. The image maps must be in the folder with the exported obj or they wont be found .

Any node based materials wont transfer

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.