Sat, Oct 5, 2:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 4:27 pm)

Subject: Poser 8 advertised!

stewer ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:23 PM

file_435959.jpg

> Quote - Here it is. > Only illumination coming from the white square. Absolutely no lights in the scene.

Ah, you beat me to it!

ziggie ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:23 PM

Quote - Here it is.
Only illumination coming from the white square. Absolutely no lights in the scene.
light test

Nice. Does altering the angle of the white plane alter the angle of the light reflected upon the figure or just narrow it..?

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:24 PM

True area lights would be a lot faster than using IDL for this. And a word of caution is called for; the level of detail/calculation required to sample the environment well enough to do a perfect job of lighting via a relatively small, self-lit rectangle is extraordinary. The recent optimizations (compromises) that led to a significant speedup for IDL also led to some restrictions in how crazy you can go with this.

SM will be working on improving the utility of IDL in the coming weeks. These improvments will likely show up in a service release. By that I do not mean that it isn't useful as it is right now. I've shown you plenty of renders where the quality was good enough that you could use less aggressive render settings, giving us usable GI in a few minutes.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:27 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - > Quote - bagginsbill can you please show a render of a figure with one white square . i want to see how it would look if we would use a square like a window for area lighting. so something big like a window.

I can do it.
But can it be any figure?
Can it be my robot mecha?

any figure. but without lights.

You're talking about using a square with 100% white in the Ambient channel, rendering with Global Illumination on.  Do not confuse this with an area light as used in other rendering apps, this is just Global Illumination doing what it's supposed to do.  The term "area light" has a specific meaning in other apps that is not related to GI.

Also note, you pretty much have to have some kind of polygonal environment (a ground plane, at least) for GI to do very much of anything.

edit: manoloz got your point obviously, although note it would behave differently with a ground plane

i understand this. i just want to see if i can get with GI at least some lighting  from props with 100% control.

jdcooke ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:29 PM · edited Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:31 PM

Huge!

Thanks for your renders

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:29 PM

Quote - > Quote - Here it is.

Only illumination coming from the white square. Absolutely no lights in the scene.

Ah, you beat me to it!

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:30 PM

can we somehow change specular lighting?

Mazak ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:30 PM

Sag mal Stefan, bei den flecken (am Boden) kann man da noch was an den Render Einstellungen verbessern?

Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

ziggie ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:33 PM

Quote - SM will be working on improving the utility of IDL in the coming weeks. These improvments will likely show up in a service release...

Much could be interpreted from that sentence... drools

stewer ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:35 PM

Mein Bild wurde in einer Beta gerendert, die final version hat noch ein paar Verbesserungen für's indirekte Licht, und ich gehe davon aus dass eventuelle Service Releases auch noch die eine oder andere Optimierung mit sich bringen.

manoloz ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:35 PM

Quote - > Quote - Here it is.

Ah, you beat me to it!

:-) not by much. Nice image, btw.

Curious, isn't is, how the same request generated two different images, which use the same figures, but look somehow different in mood etc.

still hooked to real life and enjoying the siesta!
Visit my blog! :D
Visit my portfolio! :D

Mazak ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:38 PM

Quote - Mein Bild wurde in einer Beta gerendert, die final version hat noch ein paar Verbesserungen für's indirekte Licht, und ich gehe davon aus dass eventuelle Service Releases auch noch die eine oder andere Optimierung mit sich bringen.

Danke, echt Klasse Arbeit an Poser 8 😄

Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

stewer ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:40 PM

Quote - True area lights would be a lot faster than using IDL for this. And a word of caution is called for; the level of detail/calculation required to sample the environment well enough to do a perfect job of lighting via a relatively small, self-lit rectangle is extraordinary.

True, while indirect diffuse light can certainly reproduce certain area light effects, it's not a full replacement. Note on the other hand, that in my image you can also see how light from the box gets reflected off the ground and illuminates the back of the figure, which would be completely dark if there was just a plain area light.

Letterworks ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:45 PM

pjz99,

I think most of the emphasis was put on getting the new programming and content right, not on re-working legacy content.

It doesn;t necessarily mean a fix for the figures needs to wait for a full service release of Poser. SM could issue a simple Cr2 updater (thaty did this with either Miki or Olivia if I recall correctly. For that matter you could make the fix and encode it and place it in free stuff if it causes you so many problems (not meant badly, just one possible solution).

Naturally this may mean that every clothing content malker for the earlier figures would may need to make updates as well, so I don;t really expect it to catch on. but it IS an answer.

Personally I think that SM will proably concentrate on the new rigging features in the Poser 8 figures. They do present a lot of new terratory to explore...

Note I don;t speak for SM in any way shape or form, I'm just suggesting a possible fix..

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:50 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_435962.jpg

Here's where I run into a little problem. The glowing rectangle is outside the room, shining in through a large doorway. The figure looks fine, but the room needs some work. This was with maximum values for IC and ILQ.

No supper for you, Stefan, until you make this work. :-) Just kidding.

Note: this is the low-res Ryan.

Now I'm going to dinner with my boss. :-) CU later.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:51 PM

Quote - i understand this. i just want to see if i can get with GI at least some lighting  from props with 100% control.

Unless SM has added selective compositing control of GI and other effects (like lighting) - and since they haven't bragged about this highly useful and valuable feature, that isn't likely - then you won't have 100% control at all.  You'd only do something like that if you had a very specific effect in mind, like a glowing instrument panel illuminating stuff nearby (think Star Trek control panels).  Otherwise a simple light is likely to be much easier to work with (or even an array of lights) as well as quicker to render, based on experience with other GI rendering apps.

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:55 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Quote - It doesn;t necessarily mean a fix for the figures needs to wait for a full service release of Poser. SM could issue a simple Cr2 updater (thaty did this with either Miki or Olivia if I recall correctly.

You don't get this bug.  It isn't with the content, it's with the way Poser interprets it.  Failing to fix it means fucked up content, asymmetrical bends, and workarounds for all non-lazy content providers who realize this bug FOREVER.  FOR EVER.  That is bad.  Fixing it may require updating some rigs that were jacked with to try to work around the bug, but in many cases (e.g. the many people who don't get this bug) the content creator will have just done Figure -> Symmetry and not rigorously checked every single joint, every single falloff zone.  In these cases it is likely that fixing the bug will require no change to existing CR2s.

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:57 PM

Bagginsbill's render

Quote - Here's where I run into a little problem. The glowing rectangle is outside the room, shining in through a large doorway. The figure looks fine, but the room needs some work. This was with maximum values for IC and ILQ.

In other rendering apps, I would say stochastic samples is too small.

My Freebies

chimera46 ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 4:58 PM

First off, thanks to those with Poser8 for giving us a sneak peak at what it has to offer and for putting up with everyone's questions and comments regarding same.

With that, another question. I find that in Poser Pro when animating with AO the areas darkened by the AO tend to jump around with every frame. I don't quite know why, I think it has something to do with the fact that AO is calculated anew for each frame on a bucket by bucket basis.

Anyways, is this "jumpy AO" issue something that has been addressed with Poser8, or is it something that is made irrelevant with the use of the new GI lighting system?

The strong do as they can while the weak do as they must.

manoloz ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 5:09 PM

The new AO algorithm thingy is monstrously faster than before.

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 5:13 PM

they have new AO?

manoloz ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 5:14 PM · edited Mon, 03 August 2009 at 5:17 PM

Not a new interface, but improved, tweaked and etc code. I'm no coder, so I cannot really say how come it is different,  but I CAN see render times with AO turned on render much faster.

Believable3D ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 5:23 PM

What about artifacts, manoloz? I almost gave up on AO because of the black splotches everywhere.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 5:25 PM

incredible. i always use AO. its IMO very powerful and very practical.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 5:25 PM

Ambient Occlusion and Global Illumination are "kissing cousins", so I don't think it's very surprising that AO got improved with all the work that has been put into GI.

My Freebies

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 5:26 PM

Quote - What about artifacts, manoloz? I almost gave up on AO because of the black splotches everywhere.

poser 7 SP3 fixed this.

manoloz ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 5:28 PM

No splotches on my AO renders. I'ld render an example, but I'm rendering a big archviz scen right now. If nobody beats me to it, I'll throw a render once the machine is free

Dave-So ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 5:30 PM

so what do you folks consider a reasonble box to use poser 8 in .. or 7 for that matter?
sorry to throw this out a bit, but all this new and improved lighting has to play havoc with rendering .. or not ?

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

stewer ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 5:41 PM

Quote - With that, another question. I find that in Poser Pro when animating with AO the areas darkened by the AO tend to jump around with every frame. I don't quite know why, I think it has something to do with the fact that AO is calculated anew for each frame on a bucket by bucket basis.

That may come from the caching that is being done to accelerate AO - instead of calculating AO for every single shading point, it only calculates them at some and interpolates in others. The "irradiance caching" slider will control that ratio. For AO, setting it to 100 will make it calculate AO explicitly for every pixel, and would probably fix the interpolation artifacts you're seeing at the expense of extra render time.

Letterworks ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 6:09 PM

Whoops, my bad I re-read your instructions and see that it was the buttocks bones your talking about not the thigh.

Yes I see the problem now. and it appears in the new figures as well, apparently Poser reads the right side is read as a minus and the left is read as a plus. Is this what you see and are talking about? It also appears in every figure I've checked with a buttocks set. Is this what you are getting too?
again sorry for the first pics and mistake and thanks for helping me understand soething I hadn;t noticed before now.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 6:33 PM · edited Mon, 03 August 2009 at 6:36 PM

Please note, that bug happens to appear on Sydney at the left and right buttocks - in other figures it can occur in other places, for example on DAZ SP3 it occurs on the shins.  I suspect that it has to do with the order in which bones are read in as the CR2 is loaded but I don't know.  In adding bones to an existing figure - say, you want to add bones to Simon's chest so you can move his pectorals around - this bug may appear and cause problems.  If you're rigging an original figure it can also appear.  It shows up in rigging conforming clothing, e.g. you'll find very few conforming high-heel shoes for DAZ SP3 because the bug produces asymmetrical bending once the shoes are conformed onto the character.  Even if you hand-edit the CR2, and key in mathematically symmetrical values, once they are read in by Poser the bug still appears.  It is a very, very bad bug for the content creator.

edit: additionally, the same CR2s will be read in correctly by DAZ|Studio and interPoser Pro/Cinema 4d.  The Poser knockoffs actually read Poser content better than Poser.

My Freebies

DarkEdge ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 7:06 PM

"I thinks I just felt a rift in the Force...", Yoda said.

Comitted to excellence through art.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 7:37 PM

would advise caution in re: posting rendering artifacts here, prior to general release of first public version.  in addition, whilst all developers may be justifiably proud of the new version, not all may wish any undue publicity.

grichter ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 8:21 PM · edited Mon, 03 August 2009 at 8:25 PM

BB's hint that something happens tomorrow...
on CP Karanta has released "Alyson Dynamic Dress Closet"
With this set you will get 10 dynamic dresses for Alyson (Poser 8 female). 

which is on sale until August 15th
one would have to assume nobody would close a sale before the character is released :)

http://www.contentparadise.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=11097
or
www.contentparadise.com/ProductDetails.aspx

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Dave-So ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 8:43 PM · edited Mon, 03 August 2009 at 8:45 PM

interesting observation. Maybe they will announce the release tomorrow at Siggraph and put it on sale on 8/5 or 8/10.  Now wouldn't that be cool :)

still the question remains...will it run on my old AMD 64/3200+ 1.5gig ram computer ?

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 9:17 PM

We've covered this a bit. Poser 8 runs faster than Poser 7, if you ask it to do no more than you asked of Poser 7.

If you ask it to do Poser 8 things, like GI, it will be slower. How much slower depends on how much you ask it to do. If you ask it to render like Maya, it will be very slow indeed, unless you have a very fast machine with 4 or 8 cores.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 9:19 PM

Re-posting the timing results from the 3-tank render on page 44 of this thread.

*I just re-rendered with timing turned on, using the last scene, with 3 tanks. Keep in mind I don't even consider the IBL+AO version usable. I'd probably do more complicated lighting and postwork to get this type of image to look good in Poser 7. But let's compare anyway.

IBL+AO = 169 seconds
IDL = 227 seconds

WandW ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 9:57 PM

Quote - interesting observation. Maybe they will announce the release tomorrow at Siggraph and put it on sale on 8/5 or 8/10.  Now wouldn't that be cool :)

Maybe it will be at the First Friday Bazaar for $1.99...

NAHHHH! :tt2:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

ratscloset ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 1:05 AM

Quote - so what do you folks consider a reasonble box to use poser 8 in .. or 7 for that matter?
sorry to throw this out a bit, but all this new and improved lighting has to play havoc with rendering .. or not ?

I run Poser 7 on everything from an old AMD 4300 to an i7. The same with Poser Pro and Poser 8

http://my.smithmicro.com/win/poser/index.html

... On the Windows side, I use XP, XP 64, Vista, Vista 64...

All can run the programs. The i7 is the fastest Rendering. Poser 8 flies with the i7

ratscloset
aka John

ratscloset ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 1:07 AM

Oh, by the way.. it is for sale.... http://my.smithmicro.com/win/poser/index.html

Enjoy

ratscloset
aka John

ziggie ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 1:11 AM

Has anybody on the dev/beta teams tested Poser 8 with Windoze 7 64 bit..?

I doubt it will be a problem as Poser Pro works fine, but it would be nice to get confirmation prior to the release of Poser 8.

ziggie ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 1:14 AM

** OMG..!!!

ratscloset ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 1:23 AM · edited Tue, 04 August 2009 at 1:25 AM

Here is the full listing of the Poser 8 offerings.

http://www.contentparadise.com/SearchListView.aspx?catid=7&cat=Software

ratscloset
aka John

ziggie ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 1:26 AM

Downloading right now :-)

Greebo ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 2:35 AM

Quote -

Downloading right now :-)

Me too :)

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 2:47 AM

I bought three Poser 8 licenses;  can I use the same downloaded installer for all three computers, activating each with it's own unique serial?

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

efstarlet ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 2:49 AM

Quote - I bought three Poser 8 licenses;  can I use the same downloaded installer for all three computers, activating each with it's own unique serial?

As far as I know - it's the same file for each order as long as they are on the same platform, and you will only need your unique serial.

Are you a Poser fan?  Show us on Facebook!

ziggie ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 2:51 AM

Correction... Trying to download right now :-(

So far download of Poser 8 installation file 625.6 MB has crashed 3 times... at 300 MB and <200 MB.

I am getting a very slow download speed of 168 Kb/sec although my line is capable of and regularly achieves a download speed of 2 MB/sec.

Kerya ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 2:56 AM

Just a question:
there is no introductory price and no additional content for early buyers?
I hope so, in that case I can wait until the servers are not that squeaking under a heavy load.

efstarlet ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 3:00 AM

Quote - Just a question:
there is no introductory price and no additional content for early buyers?
I hope so, in that case I can wait until the servers are not that squeaking under a heavy load.

There is a special offer for the full version for $199.99 for a limited time that will be sent to email subscribers with a special link later today, but no additional discount on the $129.99 upgrade version of Poser.

Are you a Poser fan?  Show us on Facebook!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.