Mon, Sep 23, 1:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 8:55 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Seeking advice on choose the best software to learn.

saghi ( ) posted Thu, 13 August 2009 at 3:23 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 1:30 PM

Hi All,

I have experience with Poser, Maya, Photoshop, Final Cut Studio, and many others, I'm a very fast learner, but am stuck trying to decide what combination of software will be most appropriate for my next several projects, I would love to hear advice any of you may have.

I would like to design 3D-models of objects that I want CNC'd.  From the research I've done, I'll need to learn SolidWorks for that.  Looking at the bigger picture, I also want to design much larger 3D structures (i.e. homes, buildings and boats).  I'm not sure SolidWorks is really appropriate for that sort of thing, so I'm thinking ACAD, but from the research I've done on ACAD, I'm not overly excited about it.  It would also be nice to run simulations with my objects, having to do with gravity, buoyancy, the more simulation functionality the better.  And finally, I want the ability to render great quality scenes of these objects (maybe I can import my creations with Maya to render?)

So my goal is to find the most appropriate combination of software for my needs.  Obviously I'd love it if just one application encompassed the entire gamut of what I've outlined, but I think that's an unrealistic expectation and I haven't heard of any such software.  Also, I use a Mac (a very capable Mac Pro 8-core) and would LOVE to use Mac native software, but I do run Fusion and am fine with running XP if I have to, I understand that I probably will.   If SolidWorks, Maya, and ACAD really is the best combination, then so be it, but I thought I'd post to see if anyone thinks there may be a better solution for me.

Thanks,
  -Adam

saghi ( ) posted Thu, 13 August 2009 at 3:58 PM · edited Thu, 13 August 2009 at 3:58 PM

Actually, I think I may have answered my own question, SolidWorks is capable of much more than I thought, looks like it would be an all encompassing solution for me.  I'd still love to hear any thoughts or advice though!  Thanks,
  -Adam

ronviers ( ) posted Thu, 13 August 2009 at 5:04 PM

I could not find a price on their website. Do you know how much it is?
Have you looked at Rhino?

saghi ( ) posted Thu, 13 August 2009 at 9:45 PM

I couldn't find a price either - I guess I'll have to request a quote... I'm not thrilled about a salesperson having my number, but I gotta do what I gotta do I guess.

I haven't researched Rhino too much, I suppose I should.  My Uncle uses it, he's a jeweler (had a hand in making the 2004 superbowl trophy actually!).  I got the impression it was mainly for really small stuff, but it's certainly worth a look, thanks for the idea.

I suspect I'd need the SolidWorks Premium with the addon's which allow me to use a CNC router.... Naturally, that stuff I want usually does end up being the most expensive!  :-p

-Adam

ronviers ( ) posted Fri, 14 August 2009 at 7:30 AM

I get very annoyed by companies that don't know what their stuff costs. Please post back when you get a price.

saghi ( ) posted Fri, 14 August 2009 at 11:01 AM

Haha, me too!!  I'll certainly do that.  My guess is that they decide what they're gonna charge based on how much money the think you've got.  Why else would they hide the price like that?  Jerks.  Anyway, I'll certainly post what I learn in here.  :)

ronviers ( ) posted Fri, 14 August 2009 at 11:21 AM · edited Fri, 14 August 2009 at 11:22 AM

I don't care how cool it is, if it costs a half a million dollars, I don't need to talk to someone about it.
Fwiw, I have no idea what kind of relationship you have with your uncle, but if
my nieces and nephews decided to enter 3d and chose something other than Maya, they would be cutting themselves off from a very valuable resource, not because I would not be willing to help with 3ds, xsi or whatever, but because I only know maya - he may even have access to software, people and jobs.

50parsecs ( ) posted Fri, 14 August 2009 at 3:30 PM

"*I haven't researched Rhino too much, I suppose I should.  My Uncle uses it, he's a jeweler (had a hand in making the 2004 superbowl trophy actually!).  I got the impression it was mainly for really small stuff, but it's certainly worth a look, thanks for the idea."

*That made me chuckle a bit because a local luxury yacht building company uses Rhino to design their hulls.

pauljs75 ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 4:44 AM

For CAD/CAM type stuff, Rhino seems to be the main one I've seen around these parts. It appears to do most of the NURBS and draftsman/engie things, short of getting really spendy with Autocad or Solidworks. Visit the forum/gallery and invetigate what people are doing. There's a lot of neat cars/airplanes/etc. to be seen.

If it was just general poly-pushing, I would have said Wings because it's free, has little overhead, and you can quickly learn how Catmull-Clark subdiv works (which is what every polygon app uses to some degree.) A lot of poly programs also export to file formats like .stl, which is useful for rapid-prototyping. Still the problem that arises is to what degree you can get any precision may vary. I suppose that's why the NURBS route is preferred for this type of application. (But if you're just doing figurines or something of that sort with no real mechanical fits, then you could probably get by with .stl exported from a poly-based application.)

Also since you're already on Maya, I'm surprised you haven't checked out some of the CAD related plugins and things like T-Splines. Seems like those options may be easier than learning a whole new software. (But then again, ask around about costs and workflow considerations.)

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

manoloz ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2009 at 10:07 AM

do a search for solidedge and nx too.

still hooked to real life and enjoying the siesta!
Visit my blog! :D
Visit my portfolio! :D

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Sun, 23 August 2009 at 7:39 PM

Attached Link: http://www.rhino3d.com/sales.htm

Click on the 'continent' links at the bottom of this page. They lead to the prices for the various Rhino packages.

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 24 August 2009 at 12:35 AM · edited Mon, 24 August 2009 at 12:35 AM

I've been looking at ViaCAD Pro 6 which has NURBS G1/G2 surface matching (it's around $200).  Just waiting to hear back from the forum mod so I can view their WIPs and finished models that visitors upload there at www.punchcad.com.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

kenmo ( ) posted Tue, 25 August 2009 at 6:12 PM

How about TurboCad? It's always on sale for $50.00 bucks or less...Granted it maybe 2 or 3 versions below what is the current release....

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 25 August 2009 at 6:29 PM

TurboCAD Pro creates nice STL models that will import into Carrara Pro or Amapi Pro as NURBS objects.  But it lags behind in 3DS, DXF, DWG, OBJ exporting.  Too many versions for it to keep updated with.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.