Mon, Oct 7, 2:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:30 am)

Subject: Converting objects to double-sided

ChrisV ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2009 at 5:26 PM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 2:25 PM

I'm posting this on both the Poser and trueSpace forums as I use both these programs

I use tS to reformat objects (ie break down objects into components and material separations) before using them in Poser.

I'm having problems rendering some imported objects which appear to have reversed normals on some faces. As some of these are quite complex (using folded materials) it is too difficult to reverse the normals of individual faces on these to correct the problem

I believe there is a plug-in for tS that can change entities (.obj, .3ds or .cob) to double sided but I can't locate it.

Does anybody know where I can get it or is there another utility I can use?

PhilC ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2009 at 5:34 PM

Have you tried importing into Poser with the "Make Normals Constant" option selected?

There is also a tool in TS that will flip all faces of the selected group.

geoegress ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2009 at 5:44 PM
nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2009 at 6:44 PM

Rather than goingto the trouble of making the geometry double sided, try ticking the "Normals_Forward" option of the PoserSurface node for each material.
If you do start using double sided geometry, you'll have to turn on "Normals_Forward" anyway to prevent checkerboarding.

ChrisV ( ) posted Sat, 22 August 2009 at 11:27 PM

Thanks guys for your help

PhilC - tried that but with no meaningful result - I may try this on other .obj imports

geogress - Thanks for the download link - tried Twoface and it appeared to work unitl I rendered the object and then got a chequerboard pattern :-o

so...

Thanks to nruddock for your tip on 'normals forward'  -  did that on the 'twofaced' object and it worked!!  (Incidentally, this didn't give a good result on the original single sided figure!)

Once again, thanks guys!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.