Tue, Oct 1, 9:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: dynamic clothing issue with seams

trac ( ) posted Mon, 24 August 2009 at 7:26 PM · edited Sat, 28 September 2024 at 2:36 AM

hi there,

wondering if anyone can help with this.

Transforming some of the conforming clothing I have to props to use as dynamic clothing. All works fine for the most part. The main issue I'm having though, is that the seams appear to separate from the rest of the cloth. This particularly bad with a bikini I'm trying this on, but normal shirts and such as well.

Tried increasing number of frames, played with contrained and soft decorated grouping, but nothing seems to prevent the clothing from disintegrating?

Is there a way to really weld the parts of clothing together?
The weld option when importing the obj file obviously doesn't really work.
Or is there some other way?

Thanks in advance!

Trac

nruddock ( ) posted Mon, 24 August 2009 at 7:48 PM

If none of Poser's welding options are doing the trick, it must mean that the vertices in the parts don't match.

You might be able to use a modelling program to adjust enough of them to weld to stop the parts seperating in a cloth sim.

dadt ( ) posted Tue, 25 August 2009 at 3:23 AM

The obj file for a figure contains a lot of separate objects, one for each body part, These will act as separate pieces in a cloth simulation, falling apart as you describe.
You need to load the garment and export it as a wavefront object with the box for weld body parts ticked. Load this new object into Poser and it will not fall apart.

trac ( ) posted Tue, 25 August 2009 at 7:35 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately the welding option Poser provides, does not work most of the garments I've used.

I was hoping I wasn't going to have to use a 3rd party modelling app... however it seems to be the only option.

Definitely no way around using a using a modelling app?

Porthos ( ) posted Wed, 26 August 2009 at 4:35 PM

file_438033.jpg

Have you tried opening grouping tool and using the weld group utility?

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 12.0GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7770

PoserPro 2012 (SR1) - Units: Metres , Corel PSP X4 and PSE 9

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 27 August 2009 at 8:58 PM

It's not as much that the groups are falling apart as I see the problem. It's that seams (like in a hem) and stuff like buttons ect are dropping off. Thing is, for a conforming garment to work in Poser, it doesn't need to be welded. It doesn't even need to have vertices so it could be welded. Under normal circumstances, it's still glued together in Poser - it's like the eyeballs aren't welded to the character either, but they won't pop out - UNLESS you clothify the character L

I've truggled with this quite a lot because I learned how to model back before there was dynamic clothes. And in a lot of ways it's a lot easier to model conforming clothes, among other thngs because you don't need to worry about it falling apart.

But that also means that while a lot of clothes CAN be clothified by simply exporting/importing the obj with Weld Bodyparts on.. it won't magically glue hems back in place.

I'd LOVE a solution to this.. I've tried in several modelers with little luck - unless I model everything in ONE piece, it'll come apart when it's clothified. Even hems that are properly welded in Hexagon tends to split up...

So.. I'm afraid there is no real solution to this. Just there are some clothes that won't clothify properly :(

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 3:46 AM · edited Fri, 28 August 2009 at 3:53 AM

Attached Link: edit dynamic group: the selected vertices will highlight red

file_438152.JPG

If you have parts such as a belt, buttons, and pockets which were modeled as separate pieces, you can *edit constrained group* to make them follow the underlying doll.  Pockets may alternatively be assigned as *soft decorations*, whereas buttons and a badge might be assigned as *rigid decorations*.

I don't see a way to link a second image, much less be able to post a clickable thumbnail, so here is the address of a screenshot showing the constrained group being edited, using the same dress.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/seachnasaigh/tutorials/edit_constrained_group.jpg

All the vertices in this dress are either in the dynamic group or the constrained group;  it doesn't have any soft decorations, rigid decorations, or choreographed parts.

If you see an "icicle" growing during a dynamic simulation, check for an errant vertex, such as one vertex assigned to choreographed which should have been assigned to dynamic.

TrekkieGrrrl, for the issue of a hem -which will need to be in the dynamic group- I have an idea which may (or may not) work.  Try loading the obj into a modeler and merge all the groups.  Then, use bridge to connect polys of the hem to the polys of the bottom edge of the dress.  Basically you want to form a contiguous ball-chain web.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 3:58 AM · edited Fri, 28 August 2009 at 4:11 AM

Attached Link: edit constrained group: the red vertices will simply follow the doll

Oh, I guess I can post another hotlink by posting another reply. :)

Trac, I suspect that your problem is due to there not being identical vertices in the bikini cloth and its hems, so weld won't do anything.  Bridge (or merge points) will connect them, but you'll need to be able to use a modeler to do that.

Poser 12, in feet.  

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 6:03 AM

Trac, another thought occurs to me;  did you parent the imported bikini obj to the doll, then assign all of its vertices to constrained?

Poser 12, in feet.  

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.