Fri, Oct 4, 4:16 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Help finding cheap future city?

momodot ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2009 at 11:47 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 4:12 PM

I have seen the Dystopia City sets but it seems overwhelming to try to use those... I don't have a very good CPU but I want to do a futuristic scene of flyers ofver a city... I have google search for an image to use/adapt as a background but nothing... I need something light on the render like a cyclorama background that could go behind/under figures on hover boards etc. or a simple lo-res future city prop or military installation set in a horizon sweeping AP landscape... can anyone suggest? Really I am hoping for a one click answer. I remeber a very cheap($5) simple roundish space vehical in the RMP that came with a landscape with a sort of alien tower city... I really want that but can't find it... don't remember the author or title. Was simple mesh with nice textures... towers were these buildings with windows and were sort of like pancakes sandwiched on stalks set before some cliffs :) Like a cross between primitive and hi-tech alien. I still have not found a good fast rendering "world" landscape for putting all my various Poser buildings and props in so I have been resorting more and more to "stands" like used for those Japanese litle sci-fi sculptures. I'd appreciate any help for good cheap lo-res ideas for post-apocolyptic landscapes to set things in but really I am struggling with this areal scene so if there is a set of backgrounds please let me know... I just realized I should check a super hero site like animotions.

ockham ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2009 at 12:46 PM

Might also look for "yesterday's future" pictures, such as the future city
that was part of the 1939 NY World's Fair........  I think you'll find plenty
of good images from that city.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

lkendall ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2009 at 2:21 PM · edited Mon, 14 September 2009 at 2:22 PM

I understand that you have limited computer resources, but consider this. Two of the block sets of Dystopia at Daz are free,
http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/-/dystopia-city-blocks?item=4706&_m=d
http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/-/dystopia-city-blocks?item=4709&_m=d
You cannot get much cheaper than that. And seeing that you pay nothing for them, if they overpower your CPU, you have lost nothing for trying the products.

You may be able to use just the buildings, render a scene, and use the render as your background. Or some one with a more powerful computer could do this for you.

LMK

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

momodot ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2009 at 3:13 PM · edited Mon, 14 September 2009 at 3:16 PM

file_439413.jpg

Thanks for the tip. A couple of the free Dystopia props might work as the projection above ground of an underground city complex if I set it in a giant baked-earth ground... can probably find a procedural to apply to a scaled ground plane... I am trying to get a POV such as in photographs of real world skydivers.

lkendall ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2009 at 3:32 PM

momodot:

Rereading your message, I have TerraDome, and I could download those two blocks of Dystopia mentioned above. I have bought some SciFi stuff in the past, but I would have to look and see what I have. If you give me render dimensions (width X height), maybe I could whip up a render for you for a background. I don't know how well it would turn out for use with Cyclorama. I have a quad-core computer with 8Gigs of RAM, so I can probably render a very detailed picture.

I have to have cataract surgery tomorrow morning, so I need to go to bed early. If it is too involved, I would have to finish that Wednesday or Thursday (if all goes well).

If you download a random picture off the web, you might not have the clear right to use it in your renders, even for non-commercial purposes. If you have a background picture in some package you have bought, you probably have the right to use it even in a commercial render (even if the only thing from the package you are using is the background picture). I often find things in products I have bought that can be used with other products.

Do you want an overhead (looking down) shot like in your photo, a high angle, or a more horizontal angle? Is there a color theme you would like (be specific, I am colorblind)?

LMK

momodot ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2009 at 5:22 PM · edited Mon, 14 September 2009 at 5:29 PM

file_439415.jpg

Thanks. Maybe I should try a sketch real quick. I only render for personal pleasure (don't even post images to galleries) and generally at about 1024x1024. Could probably play with the color scheme in post-work but I was thinking a silvery/tan.

Wait... here is a quick try of a bomb dropping on a Dysutopia complex... the skydome didn't work :(

When I was a kid there was this very politically incorrect arcade game called "Night Bomer" or something... I am forty-something but this was before computers... you manipulated a model airplane and sight on a stick looking looking through a view slot at a mirror that projected a "treadmill" terrain with holes poked into it to simulate city lights at night... it looked like papier mache but it must have been a looped piece of latex... if you hit the city its lights went out... after a flesh of red that blasted through the rubber terrain at the spot you hit. An other arcade game back then was the two doorknobs you would see how long you could grasp as the electrical current through them got higher and higher and a model of a sparten with a lance charged across a slide on the machine face! Those old mechanical arcade games were cool!

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2009 at 5:28 PM

you can get Bryce 5.5 for free from the Web; Daz 3d has made the terrain generation program available.  Create some ground, a cloud layer, and you can bring Dystopia into the picture (I've done it). Render it, save the image, and import it as a background into Poser.

Doc Geep has a tutorial on how to do this (albeit with Terragen; which has a free version, but no real trees, etc).

Or just find an aerial shot photograph (get permission if indicated), and import that as a background...

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

NoelCan ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2009 at 5:45 PM

file_439416.jpg

Try looking around for " Artmatic Voyager" images like this one..

If this is what you are looking for, it is yours to use..

momodot ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2009 at 6:45 PM

file_439418.jpg

Thanks...

Here is a try with distopia and a piinted background.

lkendall ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2009 at 7:59 PM · edited Mon, 14 September 2009 at 8:00 PM

file_439428.jpg

Here is Dystopia blocks 1-20 from right overhead.

LMK

momodot ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2009 at 8:23 PM

Thank you.

momodot ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2009 at 8:33 PM

file_439429.jpg

A quick test!

lkendall ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2009 at 8:49 PM

The texture will probably tile.

LMK

lkendall ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2009 at 9:16 PM

**momodot:
Here is a link to a much more detailed version of the Dystopia texture. The size of the graphics files that Renderosity allows in the forums is quaint for a CG company in the 21ST Century.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jnwz2zntm4l/Dystopia1to20b.jpg

LMK

momodot ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2009 at 11:07 PM

Thank you. Very kind of you. I'm sure it will tile... I had pictured a city set in a landscape but how to do the suburbs anyway? A megalopolis makes more sense for a future scene and this effect of being right on top of the city is excellent. Given the blurred stylized look I want your background is a huge advantage over an actual mesh! Giving some perspective distortion in Photoshop gives just the kind of space I want... I would not have thought of doing it that way :)

Congratulations on getting the procedure... I'm sure you will be very glad for the results!! My aunt just got done and was really happy she did it.

Anthanasius ( ) posted Tue, 15 September 2009 at 2:41 AM · edited Tue, 15 September 2009 at 2:42 AM

Quote - Here is Dystopia blocks 1-20 from right overhead.

LMK

Not bad but it look like more than the Death Star than a city :-)

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

lkendall ( ) posted Tue, 15 September 2009 at 5:21 AM · edited Tue, 15 September 2009 at 5:22 AM

file_439450.jpg

Thank you. Glad to help. It it mainly the quality of Dystopia products to attribute. Here is a slightly different use of the product with a wider field to view.

And, a link to the full sized file.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/z4vxnuxtrjo/Dystopia1to20c.jpg

lkendall ( ) posted Tue, 15 September 2009 at 9:11 AM

I have had the cataract out, and am back at home. I can already see better without the milky haze from the right eye. Time to crawl in bed and let the anesthesia wear off.

LMK

momodot ( ) posted Tue, 15 September 2009 at 10:45 AM

Ugh! But congratulations :)

Tucan-Tiki ( ) posted Wed, 16 September 2009 at 7:34 AM · edited Wed, 16 September 2009 at 7:36 AM

file_439494.jpg

you can go here you will need 3d exploration or blener to convert them but here is great spot to get lots of city models I mean tons of freebies well crafted models.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=bdf138e74435b57f53be30a3d3c80fc0

most are in sketchup format, I got the Harley Davidson V-ROD from there.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.