Sun, Oct 6, 6:04 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: About Ready to Switch to Poser - Have a Question

Nyghtfall ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 3:18 AM · edited Sat, 31 August 2024 at 4:02 AM

Since the initial impressions of SR1 have proven relatively favorable among Poser experts so far, and DAZ Studio still hasn't managed to get third-party developers to update all of their plug-ins for D|S 3, I'm about ready to dump DAZ for Poser.

I only have one question:

What kind of compatibility issues should I expect to run into when trying to work with DAZ products inside Poser?

For example, my first big project - a work in progress - has been on the backburner since DAZ 3 came out.  It uses M4, a character I bought for V4 named Darcy, custom-made bump and displacement maps for some water I created, and DAZ Studio's Dream Home Master Bathroom.  I'd like to continue the project in Poser, or, if necessary, start it from scratch in Poser.  Will the figures, props, and scene I bought at DAZ work with Poser?

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 4:15 AM · edited Wed, 23 September 2009 at 4:16 AM

Short answer... no compatibility issues and yes they will work.

The products that you mention.. plus many, many more from DAZ3D will all work just fine in Poser 8.

Bear in mind that the majority of DAZ's products were made and available even before DAZ Studio became available.

You will find that the majority (if not all) of newish DAZ products... including those that you specifally mentioned... have a DAZ Studio and Poser version of the product files.

I have bought hundreds of products from DAZ3D and use them all in Poser... I don't use DAZ Studio.

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

Grimmley ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 4:15 AM

Hi,

There's no reason why they shouldn't, I use Daz figures and props, scenes etc every day and I can't remember any issues personally. I use V4 and M4 all the time and I also have the master bathroom scene and have used it ok in Poser.

I think there's a newer issue arising regarding the Freak figure scaling, there's another thread about that specific issue.

Cheers,

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 5:33 AM

Quote - Since the initial impressions of SR1 have proven relatively favorable among Poser experts so far, and DAZ Studio still hasn't managed to get third-party developers to update all of their plug-ins for D|S 3, I'm about ready to dump DAZ for Poser.

Hi Im curious but unless your project uses critical DS3 specific features, why not just complete your current project in DS 2.3x and keep all of your plugin compatibility??

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 8:11 AM

well that used to be true that everything that was compatible from DAZ for poser worked beautifully.  that was until FREAK 4 who came out a few weeks ago.  Very sad, but he isn't completely compatible - enough to be very very disappointing to me.
Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Nyghtfall ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 9:36 AM · edited Wed, 23 September 2009 at 9:44 AM

Quote - Hi Im curious but unless your project uses critical DS3 specific features, why not just complete your current project in DS 2.3x and keep all of your plugin compatibility??

Shortly after DS 3 came out, I loaded my project into it, to test some of the new features.  I then saved my work under the mistaken impression that I would be able to re-load it into DS 2.3.  My intent was to continue using DS 2.3 while DAZ worked on getting all of their third-party plug-ins updated for use with DS 3.  Unfortunately, I got an error message telling me that the file was no longer compatible with DS 2.3 since it contained coding that only DS 3 could read.

My project has been on hold ever since, as it's impossible for me to be sure which plug-ins I may or may not need to continue building the scene.

Suffice it to say, my experience has taught me a very important lesson about the inherent disadvantage of modular program design.  If third-party developers can't or won't update their plug-ins, then the core program becomes relatively useless.  Hence, the reason why I'm switching to Poser.

Everything Poser can do is already built into the program.  For example, I don't see myself ever using its animation tool, or motion-capture features, but it'll be nice to know it's there, should the interest arise.  Compared to DAZ, that's very appealing to me.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 9:55 AM

Be aware though that Poser can't import the ..what are they? DS? DSB? files. But the individual components that your scene consists of can be read.

So you will have to recreate the scene in Poser, you won't be able to open a Daz Studio scene inside Poser.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 9:59 AM

What plugins are you missing? A few things in DS are not available in Poser, or require Python scripts in much the same way that DS uses plugins or scripts.

Nyghtfall ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 9:59 AM · edited Wed, 23 September 2009 at 10:07 AM

Quote - So you will have to recreate the scene in Poser, you won't be able to open a Daz Studio scene inside Poser.

So, I'll be able to load the figures, props, and setting (the bathroom) I'm using into Poser, I just won't be able to load the project itself, and will have to re-build it.

Quote - What plugins are you missing? A few things in DS are not available in Poser, or require Python scripts in much the same way that DS uses plugins or scripts.

Dreamlight offers several plug-ins that I'd like to experiment with - chief among them being Studio Light Pro (DS's built-in lights are terrible) - but they haven't been updated to work with DS 3 yet.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 10:02 AM

Poser Format Exporter will let you export poses (literal poses and morph settings) and there's a newish script (Create Poser Materials) which will export a fair stab at material settings if you used the basic shader in DS - PFE is free in the DAZ store, CPM is linked from the forums but if you check my index thread in the DAZ Studio Freepozitory forum you should find it easily.

Nyghtfall ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 10:50 AM · edited Wed, 23 September 2009 at 10:51 AM

Quote - Poser Format Exporter will let you export poses (literal poses and morph settings)...

Excellent.

What's in DS that's not in Poser?

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 11:07 AM

Quote -

Shortly after DS 3 came out, I loaded my project into it, to test some of the new features.  I then saved my work under the mistaken impression that I would be able to re-load it into DS 2.3.  My intent was to continue using DS 2.3 while DAZ worked on getting all of their third-party plug-ins updated for use with DS 3.  Unfortunately, I got an error message telling me that the file was no longer compatible with DS 2.3 since it contained coding that only DS 3 could read."

Ok I see... tough break!!
If you had save it out under a different name
("projectx DS3 Version")
then your problem would have been solved.
lesson learned I hope.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

Nyghtfall ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 11:31 AM

Quote - If you had save it out under a different name ("projectx DS3 Version") then your problem would have been solved.  lesson learned I hope.

Indeed.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 2:19 PM

Studio Light pro doesn't need updating, does it? It's just lights and ERC as I recall, rather than a plugin or script.

Poser as is doesn't have handgrip (though it does have built in hand controls that DS lacks), Puppeteer or the PowerPose palette for posing. Most shaders can be matched with Material Room setups, but you will need to set them up yourself for the most part (there are some skin shaders with Python setup scripts, I know, not sure if there are other setups available).

Nyghtfall ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 2:57 PM · edited Wed, 23 September 2009 at 2:59 PM

Quote - Studio Light pro doesn't need updating, does it? It's just lights and ERC as I recall, rather than a plugin or script.

Someone on the DAZ forum recently posted that SL Pro DOES work with DS 3, but DAZ hasn't bothered updating the index to reflect that, yet, so I may be in luck on that point.

Quote - Poser as is doesn't have handgrip (though it does have built in hand controls that DS lacks), Puppeteer or the PowerPose palette for posing.

Not a problem.  I pose everything manually, anyway, so that my poses look as naturally dynamic as possible.

stepson ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 3:24 PM

RHaseltine:  I dont mean to hijack this thread, one quick question. Is there a plugin or something to go the other way and transfer Poser materials to D/S  ?

Life is hard, but what a ride.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 8:50 AM

Yes, the same author is working on a script to do that - I think there's a tleast a beta version available, though I haven't tried it out myself.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.