Fri, Sep 20, 5:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Poser 6 and 7 on Windows Vista, any probs?

Faery_Light ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 6:20 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 3:43 AM

Are there any problems using Poser 6 and 7 on a Windows vista platform?

I am getting a Compaq laptop Duel-core cpu with Windows Vista and would like to know what to expect in performance with Vista.

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

drewradley ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 6:23 PM · edited Thu, 24 September 2009 at 6:24 PM

I run P7 on Vista on my desktop with no issues. I do recall needing to do a few things to get it to run properly (like running it compatibilty mode. I tried to run it on a different system with Vista and it worked fine, except for importing audio. It wouldn't recognize any audio I tried to use. Even audio I know worked.

Now Playing
My Insomnia Presents
Blue Defender

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 7:04 PM

I did things like turning off Aero, indexing and other things just to free the computer up for more important tasks, but not necessary (although Aero is a memory hog). As for running Poser 7, it does run much, much better for me if when I render, I render as a separate process. Poser 6 will bog down for me if I try to cancel a render in progress at which point I normally need to just close the program. Other than that, it runs fine.

Laurie

Faery_Light ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 10:03 PM

My laptop will have 3gb of RAM and runs with 2.5 ghz speed.
Better than my desktop for that but I'll be learning hands on with vista.
Which I'm not worried about, I learned each Windows platform by hands on with no help, but just wondered how well Poser works with it.
Thanks for feedback.

drewradley ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 10:12 PM

If your laptop has an integrated video card, it will slow down somewhat.

Now Playing
My Insomnia Presents
Blue Defender

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 1:18 AM

Helen, Vista works fine for me with Poser 6, 7 and 8 plus Vue 6 and 7 Infinite and a host of other apps.
One thought, Windows 7 is just round the corner, why not wait if you can and go for that instead.

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 1:23 AM

I had Poser 6, 7 & Pro running on Vista until Vista committed suicide.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 5:39 AM

I've run all Poser versions (except 7Pro since I don't have that)  on Vista with no problems. Vista is fine for running Poser.

You MAY like to turn off the UAC (User Access Control) - Vista is overly paranoid and I know it can cause problems at least with Poser 8.

Also, do not install Poser into C:Program Files - Vista is silly and is again overly paranoid with that area - so some programs may not be able to run from that location.

Most places, if you buy a new computer with Vista at the moment, it will include a free upgrade to Windows 7. But I've never had problems with my Vista. Then again I LIKED WindowsME and Poser 5, too....

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 8:26 AM · edited Fri, 25 September 2009 at 8:26 AM

The new comp comes with Vista, don't know if it will have a free upgrade though.
Wish I could wait but need it too bad now so I've already ordered it.
From Newegg.com.

cspear ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 8:44 AM

I've been running Poser 6, 7, and Pro on Vista, then all those plus Poser 8 on Vista64 with no trouble. I'm testing Windows 7 x64 now with Poser Pro and Poser 8, again no problems at all.

For any flavour of Vista I'd recommend:

1. don't install Poser to the default directory, or even the default drive. If you have to, partition your drive so you have enough room on C: for the OS and other stuff and  enough on the other partition for Programs and data.

2. turn off UAC (Google it!)

3. turn off all the flashy GUI 'enhancements'

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

MikeJ ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 8:50 AM · edited Fri, 25 September 2009 at 8:51 AM

No problems with P7 or P7 Pro on Vista, and Poser Pro at least works great on Windows 7 (x64) too.
I haven't tried P7 on Windows 7, and haven't bought P8 yet. In spite of what you may have read elsewhere here recently.  ;-)

Blue Echo, if you can get that laptop with Windows 7, or at least with a discount to upgrade to Windows 7, I'd recommend that over Vista. I used to be a die-hard Vista fanboy, but not since I installed Windows 7, which is soooooo much better in so many ways.

markschum ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 9:30 AM

I too have no problems with Vista and Poser 7. It came with a new laptop, and no choice without spending lots more money that I dont have  :)  UAC did get turned off somehow, still not sure how that happened but since I am the only user it doesnt seem to make a difference except get rid of some annoying messages.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 11:30 AM

My new comp will be here today, now I need to find out how much a multiple use license costs.
I want P7 on both computers but I can't find where to get this information.
I searched the site but no luck so far...sigh.

FalseBogus ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 12:05 PM

Maybe it's just me but I don't get those "turn UAC off" comments you get every time with vista.
Every little security feature is just fine with me. But I'm sort of paranoid anyways, comes with my job description sorta.

I'm running P7 and P7pro on vista with uac on (obviously) without problems on desktop.
Haven't tried Pro but my P7 gave unexpected crashes on my Vista laptop. Most likely related to the nvidia 8600M-GT graphics chip. Never liked the small(er) resolution display much so I didn't put much effort in solving the problems.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 12:21 PM

How well does Poser function with an Intel GMA 4500M card?

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 6:25 PM

Not sure that I have the same integrated graphics chip, but my graphics are integrated as well and I don't have too many problems, mostly just openGL preview which is fixed by using sreed ;o).

Laurie

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sat, 26 September 2009 at 3:29 AM

BluEcho you can install Poser on both machines with the same license you have now as long as you don't use both copies at the same time, if you want an extra license, say for network rendering then you'll need to buy another copy of Poser.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Faery_Light ( ) posted Sat, 26 September 2009 at 9:22 AM

Lucifer-The-Dark, thank you for the reply about Poser.
I also found that since my Poser program is on an external drive, it will still work when I connect it to the laptop, :)

And I tried a render with it on the laptop...works great and fast. BG

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sat, 26 September 2009 at 11:38 AM

Cool, I'll have to remember that for when I get another external drive. :biggrin:

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Faery_Light ( ) posted Sat, 26 September 2009 at 1:31 PM

As long as the install doesn't have to put files in the system folder of Windows, you can run the programs from external drives.

Cage ( ) posted Sat, 26 September 2009 at 2:26 PM

I've been running Poser 7 on Vista for two years and have had no problems which relate to the OS.  The only trouble P7 has given me has been some complications with a few Python scripts which were developed for earlier versions.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.