Thu, Sep 19, 10:47 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:52 pm)

Subject: new mac user problems loading bryce and poser.

drawgeoff ( ) posted Fri, 30 October 2009 at 10:50 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 10:34 PM

just purchased my first mac yesterday it has snow leopard 10.6 on it. no trouble loading 

up vue 6,.Have failed miseably at trying to load the mac version of bryce 5.5 and with poser 7.
with bryce and poser when i click on the file to unpack and install them i just get a scrolling window with a load of gobbly gook, i suspect it might be a stuffit?? file which this machine does not have.
I see from the daz website that daz 3.1 does not run on snow leopard yet.

I really would appreciate some advice as i cant afford to purchase a copy of windows xp in order to use these programs via boot camp, i would also like to keep this machine as " mac as possible ".

thanks 

Geoff

replicand ( ) posted Fri, 30 October 2009 at 11:10 AM

Normally upon double clicking, the unzip utility will expose the .dmg and mount it. I assume you downloaded the .dmg and not the .exe? Double clicking exe's  looks like gobble di gook.

Snow Leopard is not without some difficulties. Maya will not install for me (but it does for others) so I needed to pull the installation over from Leopard, but otherwise works fine.

RCT ( ) posted Fri, 30 October 2009 at 7:28 PM

Hi,
I'm a longtime Mac user, since the early 90's. I've also been using Bryce & Poser since versions 4 (currently on Poser 7 and Bryce 6). Congratulations: once you get to grips with it, you'll have a (mostly) trouble-free life. No more security worries, and simplicity itself to run:)

I just got a new Mac Pro a month ago. It too came with Snow Leopard. But I heard about some issues, particularly concerning the creation of PDF's from Adobe software. As I use this function a LOT in my work, I decided not to risk it, and did a complete system reinstall back to 10.5.7 (which is what I was using before) before transferring my stuff across. 

However, I'm not aware of any issues with Poser or Bryce, and suspect that the reason might be as suggested above: that you're trying to install the files with the wrong expander.

Try the free 'stuffit expander' or 'MacZip': they work fine for me. I sometimes have issues with .rar files that are created on a PC: they give me the scrolling window with lots of code instead of what I expect to see. I usually avoid downloading .rar files.

good luck

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 31 October 2009 at 1:03 AM

Hi there,
I run the latest bought version of daz studio on my mac with snow leopard.  there are a few funny oddities but it works.
I have stuffit expander on my mac which is free.
My .rar files seem to expand just fine.  Dunno what thing I have that is doing this - they just work.
I bought bryce and it opened on my previous macs but I use vue all the time now so I never feel the need to try bryce.
Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

drawgeoff ( ) posted Sat, 31 October 2009 at 6:02 AM

still having problems. Have installed stuffit which nicely unpacks the files to the applications folder.
The only setup type files i can see are auto run. apm , autorun .exe and auto run inf. When i click on these i get a rapidly scrolling screen again with loads of gobble di gook which says" this program will not run in dos mode" I always thought that dos was a windows os , what is it doing here on my new imac. im sure they must be a solution somewhere but being only a mac user for 2 days i will have to learn new ways of doing things.

geoff

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 31 October 2009 at 6:23 AM

yep I think you are right - you ave the windows file version. You need to download the mac versions.

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 31 October 2009 at 7:09 AM

file_442189.jpg

> Quote -  yep I think you are right - you ave the windows file version. You need to download the mac versions.

Yes you clearly have a windows version there
your Bryce installer on OSX should look something like this

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.