Fri, Aug 2, 11:54 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 25 7:29 pm)

Subject: OT: Dragon Age Origins

silverblade33 ( ) posted Mon, 09 November 2009 at 8:54 PM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 11:19 PM

currently lost in this other world...DAMN this game is amazing!! :) full of humour too, those who played the Baldur's gate games will adore the party banter, haha!

"When in doubt: GO FOR THE EYES!" (Boo) :p

This is actual gameplay footage/trialer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKFWuyP4cHc
And this one a cinematic one of one of the main quests
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqVAjmqgmcY
**Both, very very violent! ~ NTSFW ~
the first major battle, with the vast spawn armyy charging the valley before the castle, pure bloody Lord of the RIngs mad, wow!!!
...hm, what would that look like in Vue, or the town of Redcliffe?..ah ideas...
;)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

agiel ( ) posted Mon, 09 November 2009 at 9:21 PM

I started it this weekend and i agree, it is really in the lineage of Baldur's Gate. I love how hard the game is at times, and how witty some of the dialogues are. 

If you haven't done so yet, try out the downloadable content (Shale) - that Golem is hysterical :)

Mazak ( ) posted Tue, 10 November 2009 at 7:57 AM

file_442815.jpg

Here my actual Dragon Age character:

Great Game!! :biggrin:

Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

silverblade33 ( ) posted Tue, 10 November 2009 at 10:33 AM · edited Tue, 10 November 2009 at 10:34 AM

Agiel
the lines between Alastair and Morrigan are a riot :p

Love other lines, like a courtesan's "*Fell me like the darkspawn and make inroads in the south!" 
*haha omg! :D

Mazak
ah another mage player!! :) I should have went all the way with one branch of magic to get the big Area of Effect spells, grr, dabbled in various ones, oh well! :/
I like using earthquake spell on an area covered in traps, lure the enemy into it with an arrow, muhaha! ;)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

CobraEye ( ) posted Tue, 10 November 2009 at 11:45 AM

This game is done so well...  It is a perfect 10!!!   The party is so easy to control, fighting is fun,  the characters have depth, great graphics, frame rate, and story. 

The area effects are great.  I cast a fire storm and then a blizzard some way down and watch the enemies run into each effect one after the other, while the rest of my party hides behind a corner.  It's the best.

I play on hard and hear the nightmare level is for geniuses.   Hard is really hard.  I can't see how nightmare could even be done.  Can't wait to try though.

thefixer ( ) posted Tue, 10 November 2009 at 1:30 PM

Is this a new one out, haven't seen this one?

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

CobraEye ( ) posted Tue, 10 November 2009 at 1:51 PM

Yeah, brand new and awesome.  I didn't think it was possible to make games anymore of this quality and love.  I have to force myself not to play or no work or eating would be done.
It's a Classic full party RPG, so far its the best I've played. 

thefixer ( ) posted Tue, 10 November 2009 at 1:57 PM

Better than Oblivion or are they different in some way?

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

CobraEye ( ) posted Tue, 10 November 2009 at 2:08 PM

Oblivion is different because it is a true open sand box game.  This game is more like Never Winter Night but streamlined to be even better.   The character development and world lore is equal if not better than Oblivion.  There is lots of reading.  Plus, it is the party system, so you get choose what 4 characters to take out on each the adventure.

CobraEye ( ) posted Tue, 10 November 2009 at 2:08 PM

Oblivion is different because it is a true open sand box game.  This game is more like Never Winter Night but streamlined to be even better.   The character development and world lore is equal if not better than Oblivion.  There is lots of reading.  Plus, it is the party system, so you get choose what 4 characters to take out on each the adventure.

thefixer ( ) posted Tue, 10 November 2009 at 2:11 PM

ok cool, thanks for the info, I'll check it out!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

agiel ( ) posted Tue, 10 November 2009 at 3:58 PM

Dragon Age is the direct descendant of Baldur's Gate. 

Try it only if you want an epic story, fantastic characters, tough moral choices, (sometimes) difficult fighting and guided storytelling. It is not an open world, but with this level of quality, you hardly notice the lack of freedom.

thefixer ( ) posted Tue, 10 November 2009 at 4:01 PM

I never played Baldurs Gate, Morrowind and some other one I can't remember the name of!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Tue, 10 November 2009 at 7:14 PM

what, you never played Baldur';s Gate?! omg, you poor sod, go buy it, they are re-releasing them on DVD as collections :)
also make sure ot get PLANESCAPE TORMENT  which is probably the best RPG on the PC, ever
all old, but amazing games.
I got mentioned in Baldurs gate 2, by the way. 'cause I used ot be an (in)famous poster on the old Interplay forums, so note the name of the smith ;)

FrankT ( ) posted Wed, 11 November 2009 at 1:19 PM

I played Baldurs gate on the Playstation yonks ago, was a blast :biggrin:
Interestingly, one of the trailers for Dragon Age was done by Blur Studios - you can see it on their website

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Arraxxon ( ) posted Wed, 11 November 2009 at 6:49 PM · edited Wed, 11 November 2009 at 6:50 PM

At ZBrushCentral there is a guy (Ryan Lim), who actually worked on this game, creating some of the creatures with ZBrush with high poly mesh (later decimated to low poly mesh for game speed optimization) ... here is the link (i'm not sure, if you will be able to view the added images, maybe needs registration):

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=077034

silverblade33 ( ) posted Wed, 11 November 2009 at 7:33 PM

One of the few times I agree with CobraEye :p May well be the best CRPG ever made
but I find the game hard on Normal, hm, that'll teach me not to go for Area effect spells...sigh
Too used ot single target "crowd control" techniques, grrr
got 2 "hate reducing" items on my mage, really work well!

Traps are awesome:
grease+ caltrops + lure +cold traps = turn 'em into pincushions from range as they stand/slide and die ;)

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 11 November 2009 at 7:43 PM

Silverblade - I found out on the official videos that spells can be combined.

In your example, throw flame on your grease and you will have flaming area on top of everything else :)

CobraEye ( ) posted Wed, 11 November 2009 at 10:29 PM

Now, that will be helpful.  Thanks.  Snow and fire cancel each other out when cast too soon or near.  This is much better.

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 11 November 2009 at 11:18 PM

file_442907.jpg

Here is the result of that kind of combo :)

I wish I had Blizzard at the time.

CobraEye ( ) posted Thu, 12 November 2009 at 1:13 PM

Truly awesome!  I think this game has set a new bar for all other games.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Thu, 12 November 2009 at 6:29 PM

the hex that lowers resists, #2 one, can't recall name, use that with Life Drain and...doubles Life Drain's effect ;)

CobraEye ( ) posted Fri, 13 November 2009 at 2:19 PM

Nice one Silver...   This game is just awesome. 

My biggest complaint is I often find or steal items from NPCs but never know what the item is.  The game just says item received.   I have so many items I can never tell what it is I just picked up.

Seems like a strange oversight for such a polished game.

Sambucus ( ) posted Sat, 14 November 2009 at 4:59 AM

This is a great game but Oblivion still rules. Should be due another Elder Files game soon. Fingers crossed.
The script is certainly funny, as silverblade says but another game that makes me laugh is Fable 2.  Hacking your way through a bunch of bandits gets comments like "You B'*%^&&, he was retiring next week."  *Oh no, he owed me money"  and the like.
My only gripes with Dragon age are the lack of exploring possibilities, although the areas you visit are quite large, and the fact that most characters you talk to are cross eyed!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.