Thu, Sep 19, 10:54 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:52 pm)

Subject: Trying to achieve good water

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 04 April 2009 at 1:40 PM

cspear,

You do realize you made that a glowing shader, right? Turn off all your lights and render it.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Latexluv ( ) posted Sat, 04 April 2009 at 5:27 PM

cspear, that rendered image looks like it could have come out of the video game Fallout 3! That looks great, IMO.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

cspear ( ) posted Sun, 05 April 2009 at 10:00 AM

Quote -

You do realize you made that a glowing shader, right? Turn off all your lights and render it.

BB,

I do realise that. It has to be adjusted for different light conditions - any suggestions of where else to stick it (!) are welcome.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

ice-boy ( ) posted Sun, 05 April 2009 at 1:54 PM

Quote - For lake water, change the Diffuse_Color to brown. The deeper the lake, the darker the brown should be.

time out. time out BB. this looks way to real to be from poser. he he :) 

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 06 April 2009 at 4:47 AM

Quote - If I change the airplane to use a chrome shader, now I need two bounces. There are places where the water reflects the plane which reflects the sky (two bounces in one chain) and there are places where part of the plane reflects another part of the plane which reflects the sky (two bounces). In these places, since I rendered with one bounce, the contribution from the second bounce is missing. That means the water reflects a black airplane, and the airplane reflects a black airplane.

2 bounces

1 bounce

1 bounce ( if you know that people wont notice the difference)

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 06 April 2009 at 11:14 AM

Quote - Here is the water shader I was using in these latest renders. It is for deep water, such as ocean or lake, where we cannot see anything under the water.

This is not a gamma-correcting shader, and so I would only use it in Poser Pro with PPro render GC enabled, as I've done here.

The scale of the Fractal_Sum is going to depend on the scale of your prop. I used the ground plane here at a scale of 4000%. If you use some other prop, or use the same prop at a different scale, you will need to adjust the Fractal_Sum scale parameters accordingly.

The color I chose for Diffuse_Color, and also the value of Diffuse_Value, was chosen to match a typical ocean color. It matches the photo I'm using here. If you look near the horizon, you see real water in the photograph. My ground plane 3D water shader is matching it almost perfectly.

this is you new way for calculating the fresnel effect right? 
is there any site where we can dial in the settings for different materials that ahve fresnel effect? 

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 06 April 2009 at 1:33 PM

Yes it is a new way to approximate, with good accuracy, the Fresnel equation using only 4 nodes. The full equation takes many more than that.

However, there is no intuitive way to know what values to use in this node setup. I used an interactive graphic tool to find a curve that matches the Fresnel curve for a particular IOR. (This one is not the IOR of water, but I didn't bother with detail - it's good enough.)

I meant to publish this fast Fresnel approximation in a for-pay shader, but I forgot and showed it to you guys for free. Oh well. :)

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 06 April 2009 at 2:00 PM

dont worry. if you will  realese some shaders for money then belive me we will pay for it.

can i ask what settings do we need to change? the edge-blend white and black colors? 

and could you a little explain why you used the blender node? and 0,4. and what does the POW node do? 

thank you very much.

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Mon, 06 April 2009 at 2:12 PM

watching
learning

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 10 April 2009 at 4:42 AM

Bagginsbill

can you a little explain why you used the blender node? and 0,4. and what does the POW node do? 

thank you very much.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Fri, 10 April 2009 at 5:08 AM

Also interested... I thought I saw an explanation of how you arrived at this setup somewhere, but I can't find it now.

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 11 November 2009 at 7:35 PM

This one deserves a bump

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 11 November 2009 at 9:03 PM

I never answered the questions about how I arrived at the approximation because I already answered. I have a program that graphs functions in real time. It has the ability to graph multiple functions, and use parameters that I can click on to adjust the functions.

I wrote the real Fresnel equation, and I wrote the approximation, and I adjusted the parameters until they pretty well matched. I tried many approximations before arriving at the formula that results in those 4 nodes. It is the smallest set of nodes I can find that is within 1% accuracy across the whole range of values.

Every now and then I open this program up and I work on the approximation some more. I have better parameters than before, now.

I used the Blender node because it implements an expression involving 3 arguments that happen to be a good part of the formula I came up with. Blend(a, b, f) implements:

(1-f)a + fb

The way I'm using it, b is 1, so this reduces to:

(1-f)*a + f

The value I used was .04, but that's not actually the correct number for water. It is the number for glass. I was lazy and just copied my glass shader to do the water.

You want the best numbers I currently have for water?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 11 November 2009 at 9:30 PM

file_442901.png

Here is the tool.

The graph shows three functions. Red is the real Fresnel equation. Blue is the approximation. Purple shows 10 times the difference between the approximation and the real thing.

On the right are the formulas. Formula y1 (in blue) is the approximation. It uses three parameters, b, s, and p, and another formula, y4.

y4 is actually just the cosine of the angle of incidence and is implemented by the Edge_Blend node in the shader.

Functions y4, y5, y6, y7, and finally y8 implement the true Fresnel equation for unpolarized light. The last one, y8, is what is graphed in red.

Function y9, the purple one, is calculating 10 times the difference between the approximation (y1) and the real equation (y8).

The parameters are at the bottom.

a = the desired index of refraction
b = the blend value for the approximation
s = the subtract coefficient value for the approximation
p = the power value for the approximation

The blending value, b, can also be thought of as the "base" value - i.e. it controls the lowest value produced when the angle of incidence is lined up with the surface normal, i.e. when the difference between these angles is 0.

For IOR = 1.54 (glass) I came up with the values shown. For the water, I just decreased b a little bit, but that was simple laziness on my part.

I have better values for glass, now, as well.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 11 November 2009 at 9:37 PM · edited Wed, 11 November 2009 at 9:38 PM

file_442903.png

Here is an excellent approximation for water, with IOR 1.33.

b = .0186
p = 60
s = .104

Put .0186 into the Blender blending value.

Put 60 into the Pow node Value_2.

Put .104 into the Subtract node Value_2.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 11 November 2009 at 10:01 PM

file_442906.png

Here is an excellent approximation for glass, with IOR 1.54.

b = .0424
p = 90
s = .0634

Anthanasius ( ) posted Thu, 12 November 2009 at 3:37 AM

VEry very interesting to achieve realism in render, but just a little question, how i determine b p and s if i dont have your software ?

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 12 November 2009 at 7:04 AM

Quote - VEry very interesting to achieve realism in render, but just a little question, how i determine b p and s if i dont have your software ?

Well, I don't mind coming up with parameters for other IOR values, so just ask.

Or, you could have the software. It's free. It's called GRAPES and is here:

http://www.criced.tsukuba.ac.jp/grapes/

Once you have it, I will give you the GRAPES document that has my setup in it for finding fake Fresnel settings and you can play with it yourself.

Anthanasius ( ) posted Thu, 12 November 2009 at 7:15 AM

Oh yesssssssssss !

Anthanasius ( ) posted Fri, 13 November 2009 at 5:25 AM · edited Fri, 13 November 2009 at 5:28 AM

I come back cause i'm really interested to get lot of realism on my renders and cause i have a little pb, it seem the formula ( i know it's an approximation) dont like the ior under 1 like gold who is 0,47, impossible to match the real fresnel, but for ice or beer it work very well !

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 13 November 2009 at 6:30 AM · edited Fri, 13 November 2009 at 6:39 AM

That .47 value for Gold came from the BlenderArtists forum and it's wrong.

All metals have IOR above 50!!

In Grapes, enter a=50 and see what the red (real Fresnel) curve does. It becomes highly reflective at all angles. This is why metals are metals - they have a very high IOR. Some are above 100.

[Edit] The subject of IOR for dialectrics is simple, but for metals, it gets complex, literally. Meaning, the IOR is a complex number involving a real part and an imaginary part.

In practice, the reflectivity of metals based on viewing angle is nearly constant, and does not really need a Fresnel effect to be convincing.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 13 November 2009 at 6:55 AM

Oh my - I just found this - "Schlick's Approximation of Fresnel" on Wikipedia. I swear, I never saw this before I made my approximation. It is the same form! Isn't that amazing? This Schlick fellow and I solved the same problem the same way. This is one of the arguments why math formulas cannot be patented. We do not "invent" them, they exist already - we simply reveal them.

However, mine has different coefficients and is much more accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlick%27s_approximation

Anthanasius ( ) posted Fri, 13 November 2009 at 7:00 AM

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 13 November 2009 at 7:20 AM · edited Fri, 13 November 2009 at 7:20 AM

Anth,

Yes, the same list is published in CGSociety and other places. Read the comments on many of these. Each time I find this list, underneath are people questioning the metals. They complain that typing in these quoted values for gold and silver into programs such as Maxwell, Maya, 3DSMax, all produce nonsense. And so it is because these numbers are nonsense, and represent only part of the IOR of metals.

It takes two numbers to specify the IOR of a metal, the real and the imaginary part. And these two numbers are used in a more generalized Fresnel equation that solves for reflectivity based on the frequency of the light, not just the angle of incidence.

PickledPapaya ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2012 at 4:46 PM

file_486393.jpg

Old thread, but good stuff.  Was using it for a water shader, as BB had setup, but mine is not coming out as "smooth" up closer?  Is it a new feature in P9 versus P8 or something, or am I just doing something wrong? 

Render Settings are same as in page 1, BB post "Posted Fri, Apr 3, 2009 10:15 am, Edited Fri, Apr 3, 2009 10:16 am"  (checked and double checked)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2012 at 4:57 PM

I was using a scaled up ground plane, which starts out pretty small. Since the waves scale with the prop, I had to shrink the waves.

If you're putting that same scale wave on a prop that is already large, they will come out very dense.

You need to adjust the scale on the node(s) making the waves.

PickledPapaya ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2012 at 7:56 PM

Yea, I was trying scaling, but I was scaling the bump along with the Fractal Sum node, and it was getting me just rougher seas, when I was looking for a lake.

Scaled the fractal sum up, and left the bump at 1, and now I got it, or at least good enough for me  :)  Good ol' trial and error!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.