Tue, Oct 22, 10:42 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 10:35 am)

Subject: where can I find a Poser 4 update for mac?

lakota ( ) posted Mon, 23 November 2009 at 7:10 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 10:34 AM

Hi,

I reloaded my old poser 4 from the cd into my os 9 classic apps, but it needs the update to 4.03 or something to work, I guess. I want to test clothing to see I can create more universal products ie p4-7, but without it, I can only test back to the old poser pro. I can't find this update and the updated version on my old mac will not transfer via moving it to my newer osx machine.
Smith-Miro doen't have it on their web updates, but efrontier didn't as well.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

wolf359 ( ) posted Mon, 23 November 2009 at 7:41 PM · edited Mon, 23 November 2009 at 7:46 PM

Quote - Hi,

I reloaded my old poser 4 from the cd into my os 9 classic apps, but it needs the update to 4.03 or something to work, I guess. I want to test clothing to see I can create more universal products ie p4-7, but without it, I can only test back to the old poser pro. I can't find this update and the updated version on my old mac will not transfer via moving it to my newer osx machine.
Smith-Miro doen't have it on their web updates, but efrontier didn't as well.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

Hi you will not likely find it from any "official source" but I must ask.. WHY???
there is one guy I personally know still using Poser4 under mac OS9.and other than "supporting" him you are completely wasting your time trying to build in Mac OS 9 /poser compatibility in a poser content product today.
we are about to complete the first Decade
of the 21st century
Mac OS9/poser4  are vestigial relics from the 20th century .... truly Dead.

But if you insist on clinging to the crumbling caves of the past
this Hack will supposedly let you install  OS9 on your newer Mac and perhaps your current poser 4.03 will run under it
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

markschum ( ) posted Mon, 23 November 2009 at 7:51 PM

You could try contacting SmithMicro support and explain why you need it and see if they have it for you.

wolf359 ( ) posted Mon, 23 November 2009 at 8:00 PM · edited Mon, 23 November 2009 at 8:03 PM

file_443659.jpg

> Quote - You could try contacting SmithMicro support and explain why you need it and see if they have it for you.

Not to be Discouraging but  my original poser6 DMG became corrupted and I tried to get a new download from SM
and got nowhere. I would be shocked to find they were miraculously still archiving
a "Curious labs" update from the previous century

but it wont hurt to ask.

P.s. found a picture of the box online though

My website

YouTube Channel

lakota ( ) posted Mon, 23 November 2009 at 8:34 PM

I'm not trying to cling to the 20th century.

Unlike newer versions, p4.0 won't load the newer cr2 files even if you change the version number. A friend was asking about using low res figure in background work and I thought to test some clothing in p4. If you're not rendering or using the clothing, or hair room, it's still a relatively good basic figure poser application. It made be think back to the old Poser Forum with pant-girl and trench-coat man and other nifty innovations like the morph down hip skirt.

I doubt I'll find the update I was thinking of.

Nance ( ) posted Mon, 23 November 2009 at 8:55 PM

We went through this a few months back, (I think it was a thread at 3DCommune) and I had contacted SM at that time.

Their reply stated something to the effect that their purchase agreement for Poser did not allow them to distribute the Poser-4.03 update, and they had no real suggestions on where it might be obtained. 

As mentioned above, there seems to be no authorized distribution outlet for that update  - but, look around - it has been periodically re-posted by other individual users.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2009 at 6:47 AM · edited Tue, 24 November 2009 at 6:53 AM

Classic screed Wolf! - thanks for the calendar update as well and here I was partying like it was 1999. :-)

Finding the patch for Mac is probably going to be tough. Maybe eFrontier still has the rights to P4 but getting it from them would be a long shot. Someone created an "unofficial" patch for older Metacreations products but it was for windows (http://dev.depeuter.org/metacreations_fix.php). The last of many comments on that page was two weeks ago so apparently the medieval clingers do have internet access.

I still use Poser 4 because it's quick and easy for what I want to do. If I want a better render, I can use Vue, DS, or POVRay.

" p4.0 won't load the newer cr2 files"

You mean P4 without the .03 update or P4 in general?  

I think I read that the new P8  figures won't work in earlier versions due to the rigging. I've never had any major problems loading V4.2 or other new content (save Wolmol's animals) , so if you're doing conforming clothing, you're probably good. The main issue would be not using PMD morphs. There is a utility that will convert some of them into the .cr2, but best to avoid them. I can probably test some items for you if you want, just send me a pm - files will have to be sent on paper tape format of course. 

*"It made be think back to the old Poser Forum with pant-girl and trench-coat man and other nifty innovations like the morph down hip skirt."

Daz' "Loretta Lorez"  figure has morphs to simulate clothing - what was old is new :-)

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2009 at 7:31 AM

Quote -
  If I want a better render, I can use Vue, DS, or POVRay.

Yes as do many users
When the OP mentioned the Need to***" test some products"***
I natural thought they meant for the  poser content marketplace
I advised them not to waste their development  time because  there is ZERO demand in the general Content marketplace for Poser4 compatibility at this point.
and in fact Marketplace product that is P4 Specific would not pass testing here and certainly not at DAZ.

My website

YouTube Channel

lakota ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2009 at 8:20 AM

I believe it is the P4.0 directly off the CD that's the problem, the P4.03 works fine on my old grey tower 9600. Maybe it's the relative path thing that causes the problem. Of course I had the update a century ago, but lost it or trashed it in a save disk space move. I just wanted to finally consolidate everything on one computer and not dump it. I wish I could just drag it over to the newer (still old in wolf years) Quicksilver, but it won't take.

A friend is doing the same as you lmckenzie, not using poser for anything other then posing figures and exporting over to Vue for rendering. I don't find Poser the one stop shopping center for all your rendering needs. He wanted me to convert my 1812 uniforms to fit old Dork, the p4 guy, which to me is still the p3 guy. I was asking WHY and he was explaining this is to reduce polygon count and save RAM in rendering.

Personally, I like the old concept of just using the head, neck, hands, and fingers of a figure  and replacing the rest of the body with clothing, like Zygote's knight and other p3 like things.

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2009 at 8:28 AM

Quote - I just wanted to finally consolidate everything on one computer and not dump it. I wish I could just drag it over to the newer (still old in wolf years) Quicksilver, but it won't take.

Hi Define "it wont take"
A mac Quicksilver is not even Intel based and should still support OS9.
Are you saying a copied over poser 4.03 wont launch under classic on your
Quicksilver  in OS9???

My website

YouTube Channel

lakota ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2009 at 8:49 AM

Wolf,

What I'm saying is that I can't just transfer Poser 4.03 from my 9600 over to my Quicksilver's system9 application folder and have it function. It doesn't like to be transferred from one computer to another like many other applications. It requires a clean install and I can only install Poser 4.0 from the CD and don't have the update to convert it to 4.03. Thus I was looking for one.

Don't have no fancy intel based snow leopard
I'm running 10.4.11 on a ppc

Don't really use System 9 stuff that much, but it's not taking up much space
so mostly out of sight out of mind.
I think I use a very old app called listfiles
Again just wanted to consolidate
and finally get rid of the true relic

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2009 at 10:30 AM · edited Tue, 24 November 2009 at 10:31 AM

Hi  the reason I asked is becauseI successfully did what you apparently Can not

Yes im on intel Mac  now

but way back then When i finally got a Used G4  to replace my aging 266mhz beige G3 tower
I simply packed my Poser4 installation folder into  mac stuffit archive burned it to CD and unstuffed it on the  newer G4
and it worked no problem older Mac programs always worked for me by just moving the entire
folder to a new Drive /computer etc.
sorry to hear its not working for you.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

lakota ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2009 at 10:58 AM

Yeah Wolf,
I wish it was that easy. Most things transfer ok with little problem. Poser4 and the old RayDream Design 5 did not. I don't have a CD burner on the old relic, but I didn't try to stuffit first, I just went with an ethernet connection and tried to transfer the whole poser4 folder. That didn't work, it tranferred, but Poser4 didn't want to work just saying to reinstall or something to that effect. Maybe there's a hidden registration file I overlooked, but I don't think so.

Maybe try stuffing it first and then transferring it, but don't know how that would change things. But maybe I'll try that,

Thanks

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2009 at 3:41 PM

whilst the consensus is to use poser 8 sr2 or later, if one desires said poser 4 OS 9 patch
(4.02.118), call SM on the phone, ask for Colin, and see if he can ask Larry W. if it's o.k.
for somebody to post the patch (9.2 MB) either here or at sharecg.

p.s. they'll probly wanna nail me to the tree of woe for all this name-dropping :lol:

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 25 November 2009 at 1:32 AM

Heck, I've got Poser 5, and half the 'characters' for V4 and M4 won't work on it because instead of MC5 (kick out the Jams), it uses MC6 materials (well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

lakota ( ) posted Wed, 25 November 2009 at 9:36 AM

Well, If Poser gave you the simple option of saving a file in older version formats, life would be better in the Motor City. PhotoShop, Illustrator, and I think even MS Word gives you that tool to make the file more accessible to all the common folk.

Not everyone can afford to rush out and buy the latest and greatest version of every application. But my wishes for Poser improvements have never dealt with its rendering engine or materials, my wishes deal with accurate scaling of imported props (is the poser2 guy still the standard height of a figure?), and an easier to navigate library system, and opening up two pz3 files at once. 

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 25 November 2009 at 10:05 AM · edited Wed, 25 November 2009 at 10:06 AM

Quote - **Well, If Poser gave you the simple option of saving a file in older version formats, life would be better in the Motor City. PhotoShop, Illustrator, and I think even MS Word gives you that tool to make the file more accessible to all the common folk.

Not everyone can afford to rush out and buy the latest and greatest version of every application. But my wishes for Poser improvements have never dealt with its rendering engine or materials, my wishes deal with accurate scaling of imported props (is the poser2 guy still the standard height of a figure?), and an easier to navigate library system, and opening up two pz3 files at once. **

Well to be fair here there is a big difference
in the file structures of 3D rendering applications and 2D bitmap,vector & text editing applications like those from Adobe& MS so comparing backward compatibility
options of the two is not useful.

As far as not "running out and buying" the latest iteration of every program yes I agree ..to a point.
I still run Poser-6,Adobe CS3 and I am two versions behind on my Mac OS (10.4.11 "tiger").

But lets be realistic here we can only "get away" with not upgrading for so long before we find ourselves trapped in an anachronistic wasteland with very limited options.

it is not the Fault of the Developers at Autodesk  that "Mudbox" requires Mac OS 10.5 or higher and Wont run on my "old" OS
They ,Like everyone else, Build their Commercial Software to take advantage of the latest features of the target OS and hardware such as,multi processing 64bit etc etc.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

lakota ( ) posted Wed, 25 November 2009 at 11:35 AM

Wolf,

I know I have to get an intel mac one of these day. Yet it took a long time for me to go from system 9 to osx. Since system 7, I've upgraded myself out of many applications,  but osx was an big jump to replace everything.

I'd like to play with Mudbox and Zbrush3 and other fancy things, but I'm not complaining about that. Those apps need me to upgrade.

However, in Poser there have been needed improvements it should have addressed since version 1 that the developers simple skip and concentrate more on additions then basic improvements. Scale is one, there are no architectural standards in Poser, no two colt 38 pistols in your prop library are the same size, there is no 24 inch standard counter tops, it's all relative to the eye of the creator. I don't see why that simple think can't be fixed without running a prop first into DAZStudio and exporting it for Poser. 

Since MetaCreations put the "Bryce" interface on Poser to make it pretty, has anyone liked the fact that the tools are behind the scene window?

And as to make it possible to "save as" a p4, p5, or p6 pz3 file or pp2, or what ever, that's just a text editing function. These are not complicated files.

As to opening two windows, or two files at a time, most 3d applications allow you to do that. Grab one thing from one file and place it into the other. That's your basic cut, copy, paste function available in 95% of applications since day one when Jobs and Gates were buddies.

I wanted a find a poser4 update to be able to know if a save library file would work in that older version of poser, if Poser could write these files as an option, I would need to worry.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.