Sun, Sep 22, 4:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 4:30 pm)

Subject: Newbie Help - Installing Vic 4.2 into Poser 8

Tempest2007 ( ) posted Wed, 23 December 2009 at 3:40 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 4:32 PM

Simply, I have downloaded the 28 files from Daz for Vic 4.2 and I now need to know how to get her into Poser 8.  I have a MacBook Pro and would love to have someone talk me through the steps.

I can be on MSN or YIM if needs be.

Thanks. 

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 23 December 2009 at 11:19 PM

28 files? o.O 

My Freebies

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 23 December 2009 at 11:40 PM

Sounds like the V4 pro bundle.
I would start with the V4 base , then morphs, then maps
then the clothing and character installers.

many of the installers are not dependant on each other for installation.

Tempest2007 ( ) posted Thu, 24 December 2009 at 6:50 AM

Sorry yes it was the pro bundle and sorry it was not 28 files; I had also grabbed some freebies on the Daz3D site as well. Apologies for the confusion.  Ok off to work I go!

Tempest2007 ( ) posted Tue, 29 December 2009 at 12:55 PM

Please help, it is asking where to send the files to and I am not sure.

MarkyP ( ) posted Fri, 08 January 2010 at 9:48 PM

You need to direct the files to wherever Poser is installed. This is usually something like:
C/(or whichever drive Poser is installed on) program files/curious labs/poser 8.
Not sure if it's called Curious Labs anymore. After you've installed the V4.2 Base - the installers usually find the right directory themselves.

Hope this helps

cyberscape ( ) posted Fri, 08 January 2010 at 10:54 PM

Actually the correct path would be

for XP   -     C:Program Files/Smith Micro/Poser 8

for Vista -   C:Program Files (x86)/Smith Micro/Poser 8

If poser is not on the C drive, then put whatever drive letter poser is on in place of C.

Where ever you put her, be sure that V4.2 resides in the main runtime of Poser, as she tends to act really weird if not installed there.

@MarkyP: don't mean to step on toes here but, I corrected you because this folder structure is a must if V4 is going to work right.  :O)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

AMD FX-9590 4.7ghz 8-core, 32gb of RAM, Win7 64bit, nVidia GeForce GTX 760

PoserPro2012, Photoshop CS4 and Magix Music Maker

--------------------------------------------------------------

...and when the day is dawning...I have to say goodbye...a last look back into...your broken eyes.

KimberlyC ( ) posted Fri, 08 January 2010 at 10:56 PM · edited Fri, 08 January 2010 at 11:00 PM

When you download from daz3d most or all the files I have seen come in a .exe file.  When the installer starts you may need to find your  Smith Micro/Poser 8 (for example) folder so that the files go to the right places

bantha ( ) posted Sat, 09 January 2010 at 8:02 AM

The user has a Macbook pro, so probably not Vista or XP, and no Drive C.
Since I don't have a Mac I cannot really help with this, but on Windows, V4 prefers to sit in the main runtime. Does that help?

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sat, 09 January 2010 at 10:34 AM

I'd run the find feature and the subject would be Poser...send them to where ever this tells you poser lives....don't run mac myself but that seems a logical thing to do.. ...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Tempest2007 ( ) posted Sat, 09 January 2010 at 12:45 PM

Ok I have worked on this and come up with a solution, based somewhat on your ideas.

As this is on a Mac, I have decided to install Poser 8 with the standard install and then place the Vic 4.2 models within the Runtime Folder in the Downloads section.  That way I know which are the basic models and those which are the new files that I may have purchased.  I like to think that it keeps it a little more simpler.

Thanks, now to see what I can do.

Believable3D ( ) posted Sat, 09 January 2010 at 3:21 PM

At least on Windows, V4 works just fine outside of the main runtime in the last several versions of Poser (since P6, IIRC). I have never used V4 in my main Poser application runtime.

If you don't want to create a dummy Poser.exe file, though, you'll need to choose DAZ Studio as the intended program when installing (don't worry, that's the only difference if you do, and no, you don't need DS installed).

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.