Thu, Sep 19, 3:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 2:39 pm)

Subject: Must have Poser adds

Dave-So ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 10:57 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 3:35 PM

what do you consider to be the must have additions to Poser?
List the application and why we need it. What it does, what it simplifies..is it possible to do the same thing within Poser itself ?

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 11:27 AM
  1. A simple modeler like Wings 3D for making props if needed

2. VSS for skin textures

3. BagginsBill's Envirosphere for lighting

Those are all I can think of offhand ;o)

Laurie

markschum ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 11:38 AM

To begin with a simple paint program like GIMP is very useful. Transparency maps , new textures etc are then posssible.

A simple modeller for props.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 11:39 AM

a good notepad replacement
Freecommander or similar for file organising
Irfanview for fast texture viewing / conversion
Paint-Net for texturing
PhiBuilder for Rigging
Winamp for Sanity
Winrar for archiving Files
Sketchup (plus Ruby's) for model creation
Roadkill for UVmapping
UVmapper for UVmapping

and various hardware addons I use like a N52te Gamepad, M$ Ergo Keyboard with a programmable bank of buttons etc...

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 11:41 AM

oh - Evernote for collecting Research materials and tutorials into one place.

dlfurman ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 12:01 PM

Shader Spider is helpful for shaders and partial MATS and quick application there of.

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

Believable3D ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 12:43 PM · edited Sat, 26 December 2009 at 12:43 PM

Environment Sphere

VSS

Morphing Clothes

A clothing conversion program is nice, but in truth, I find I've not converted all that much. (Now that I've got P8, I've got two conversion apps, but I haven't added any licenses to Wardrobe Wizard, so I still use CrossDresser, which I think is a bit faster anyway, though can't really compare the quality... I did convert an item to Alyson when I first got P8.) If I had got in the game earlier and had a ton of V3 stuff, I suppose it would get more use.

A modelling app of some sort for sculpting, especially if you're not all that good with the morphing tool in Poser (I am not). I've used Argile a fair bit, and I plan on incorporating Blacksmith3D-Morph now, too. I'm also hoping to start into simple modelling (again, I've got several apps, but I'm planning on using 3dCoat primarily), but not everyone wants to do that. If you go this route, you need UVMapper (or something of that sort).

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

mackis3D ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 2:21 PM
  1. CRPro for checking new files, so you will never be asked again to locate paths to image files.
  2. Environment Sphere and VSS by Bagginsbill, because I've integrated them anyway on every scene start up.
  3. A python script that deletes all unused morphs. There should be no need to buy it, this has to be a Poser feature.
  4. A library without the need to wait for refresh, not dependent on other apps (since they created the new one with the small community of Mac users in mind, they seemed to ignore the Linux users, the old library worked for all without problems).
  5. A stable colour picker that accepts the colour with a double click and does not change it, when the mouse moves to another part in the interface (this is unnvering in the MAT room and with the lights).
  6. A modeler. I never use the Face Room. Does anyone? They should get rid of it and give us a modeler instead.

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 2:22 PM

I agree with those who say a modeling app of some sort and a 2D graphics editor (PS,PS,gimp elements,PSP etc)

My website

YouTube Channel

basicwiz ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 4:49 PM

BagginsBill's Envirosphere
PzDB
PhilC's Poser Toolbox

samhal ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 5:54 PM

If no one has mentioned it yet, I vote for plugin support!

i7 6800 (6 core/12 thread), 24 GB RAM, 1 gtx 1080 ti (8GB Vram) + 1 Titan X (12GB Vram), PP11, Octane/Poser plugin, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Oh, and a wiener dog!

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 8:34 PM

I don't believe anyone mentioned Matmatic for material scripts. Mind you, it helps to have a rudimentary working knowledge of Python... rudimentary is the operative term, here. I see it as an essential, but then, I'm a tech-weenie so it's not right up there with VSS, maybe. Mind you, Matmatic and VSS work brilliantly together!

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 27 December 2009 at 12:00 AM

either a database to keep track of what's loaded (one in freebies, I think), or P3do (also free) to get a visual representation of the hundreds (nay, thousands) of things you'll eventually load into Poser.
not only can you load everything into Poser, but you can also have a place for it...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 27 December 2009 at 1:48 AM

If you're making models for use in Poser, a UV mapping app is a must.  I use UVMapper Pro.   

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

ima70 ( ) posted Sun, 27 December 2009 at 10:05 AM

Blender 3D, with it you can model, UV map and Sculpt (create morphs) all in one for free.
A Paint program like GIMP.
VSS for easy materials manipulation not only skin.
A lot of useful Python scripts I've found for free all over the web.
CR2 Editor or CR2 creator for editing your poser files without lossing your mind in a text editor
Morph Manager
Apollo Maximus: you can get almost whatever creature you can imagine from him whith a lot
 of clothes, and nobody knows for how long he will be available.
Imagination :-) (most of the fun part is to create not to buy, whatever the result you get)

jefsview ( ) posted Sun, 27 December 2009 at 10:51 AM

Most have been mentioned, but, hey, I'll mention them again since they are ones I use also, but not in any particular order.

A clothing Convertor, such as Xdresser or Wardrobe Wizard for character fits.
Morphing Clothes by Dimension3D.
VSS and Environsphere and everything else by Bagginsbill. I wish all vendors used parmatic to help adjust they're characters skin, but that's why we have VSS.

ShaderSpider. I don't use it as much as I used to, but it always saves me time when I do use it.

Poser File Organizer by Dimension 3D to fix broken files and paths, plus it comes with a handy .rsr to .png convertor

There are a bunch of handy new python scripts inside Poser 8, which I haven't had time to fully explore. Semideu's Light Control python is handy, so is D3D's new Render control.

Renderosity's Poser Forum Material Room stickied Thread -- A MUST READ and very handy.

Ockham's Delete all morphs  python is one I use regularly; just wish I didn't have to it set up in advance to use it (I have all my characters listed, but to do it for each clothing item is a PITA).

The newer Python Scripts pull down menu is fantastic.

I also like the morph brush tool. Haven't had a chance to try out it's improvements in P8 yet, though.

Well... mostly python scripts :)

-- Jeff

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 27 December 2009 at 11:32 AM

If you take advantage of normal mapping feature in P8, Nvidia, ATI and GIMP have free plugins to generate such files.  Interested in generating specular, displacement, AO, and normal maps, consider ShadowMap Pro.

motchan ( ) posted Sun, 03 January 2010 at 9:40 PM

No one mentioned my most important two utilities.

Shaper/Masa: For Melting body parts to one unified part, and restore original body parts from unified obj. Must have when you create multi part body morph. You must send e-mail to creator for getting key-code, but it's free.

http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/%7Emasasi/DOWNLOAD/shaper/index.htm

Poser File Editor/Dimension 3d: Mainly used for loading morph target from modified multi-part obj. Also very handy to remove un-used body parts from pose file. Have many other features to edit most of poser files.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 03 January 2010 at 11:13 PM

Quote -

Shaper/Masa: For Melting body parts to one unified part, and restore original body parts from unified obj. Must have when you create multi part body morph. You must send e-mail to creator for getting key-code, but it's free.

Poser File Editor/Dimension 3d: Mainly used for loading morph target from modified multi-part obj. Also very handy to remove un-used body parts from pose file. Have many other features to edit most of poser files.

I do use PFE for cleaning up unwanted materials from a figure or modifying some value, but I haven't actually been able to do the morph target thing. Much as I'd really like to: I keep getting that number of vertices error (think that's the one)... even though I only do it for one body part, like the head. Very frustrating.

Metaphor of Chooks

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 05 January 2010 at 7:53 AM

Attached Link: http://www.morphography.uk.vu/utilities.html

Here's my big list of Undoubtedly Useful Utilities.

My personal must-have utility would be either Dimension3D's Poser eXplorer, PRPC or P3dO. My library no longer conforms to the Poser standard folder layout, so it would literally be unworkable without one of those.

Plutom ( ) posted Tue, 05 January 2010 at 8:41 AM · edited Tue, 05 January 2010 at 8:46 AM

What I like to see is a combination face and body shade room.  For example if I shade the face and export it back to the pose room, the rest of the figure is not shaded and one has to go through heck to balance the rest of the body with the head.  If they could find an automatic way to match the body, that would be great (if there is a way now, please let me know).

and I do use the face room for face modifications (a little goes a long way) along with the massive stuff in the pose room.  For example, the random face generations, some look pretty darn awful on Alyson and her sisters or one can click and hold the mouse on the image, move the mouse and that portion of the face (both sides) will move along-good for twiking the snoz up down out in or twisted, same for eyes in out, side to side, up and down, chin etc without flipping dials.  Jan 

Dave-So ( ) posted Tue, 05 January 2010 at 5:13 PM

i like this thread ... great stuff

Believable3D ( ) posted Tue, 05 January 2010 at 5:29 PM

Quote -

Thanks a lot for the heads-up on this. I often have a problem with headmorphs because I tend to affect the neck join (particularly since I usually create more mature characters and want to give a bit more jowl). This looks like it should solve that issue.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

cyberscape ( ) posted Tue, 05 January 2010 at 7:15 PM · edited Tue, 05 January 2010 at 7:22 PM

file_445929.jpg

My recommended add-ons for poser would be the Universal Texture Converter from DAZ3d and the most incredible 2nd Skin Creator by Dimension3D. The UTC is real handy for swapping favorite textures between V3 and V4. As for the 2nd Skin Creator.... OMG!!! Sliced bread doesn't even fart in the general direction of being this awesome! The included pic should give you a good example of what one can do with this app. What you see are bodysuits that I painted onto V3's uv template, then applied to a conforming suit made with the 2SC. Add a little displacement and there ya go! A bodysuit that (for the most part) looks like a pre-modeled conforming figure. The best part is this technique can be done on any poser human (haven't tried animals). Erm... I guess M3 or Apollo would look kinda creepy in the above suits though :P

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

AMD FX-9590 4.7ghz 8-core, 32gb of RAM, Win7 64bit, nVidia GeForce GTX 760

PoserPro2012, Photoshop CS4 and Magix Music Maker

--------------------------------------------------------------

...and when the day is dawning...I have to say goodbye...a last look back into...your broken eyes.

Photopium ( ) posted Tue, 05 January 2010 at 8:46 PM

I know I'm the creator, but for me I seriously could not continue using Poser without PoseMagic.  Even with other people's pose packs, I find I always need to tweak and there's no quicker way to do this than PM.  Every pz3 I build has PM built into it...if it weren't my baby I'd still be raving about it.

And "Morphing Clothes" by Dimension3d.  This program is a miracle.  Too bad it isn't built right into Poser's conforming routine, since it's so fast.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Tue, 05 January 2010 at 8:55 PM

Quote - I know I'm the creator, but for me I seriously could not continue using Poser without PoseMagic.  Even with other people's pose packs, I find I always need to tweak and there's no quicker way to do this than PM.  Every pz3 I build has PM built into it...if it weren't my baby I'd still be raving about it.

And "Morphing Clothes" by Dimension3d.  This program is a miracle.  Too bad it isn't built right into Poser's conforming routine, since it's so fast.

I bought PoseMagic, then discovered it was for V3? Or was I missing something? I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, mind you...

Metaphor of Chooks

motchan ( ) posted Tue, 05 January 2010 at 9:15 PM

About Shaper program and multi-part morph,

I'm out, and can't access my 3D programs now. So It may not precise, but my workflow is:

.Export figure geometry from Poser.
 Check 'Include Body Part Name' only, uncheck all other.
 DO NOT check 'weld' and 'As morph target' options.

.Load obj file to Shaper
 Special Function -> Fusion
 This unified all body part as one part, and weld vertices.
  Save.

.In any modelar program, modify figure object.
 DO NOT add/remove vertices/edges/polygons.
 Vertices order is not important.
  Save obj.

.Load Modified obj to Shaper
 Special Function -> To Original
  This restore original body parts.
  Save obj.

.Load original figure cr2 file to PFE.
 Tools -> Create Morph.
 Specify modified obj file from Shaper.
 If you want to make ValueParm in body, check Full Body Morph option.
 Save new Cr2 file as modified figure.

Done.

Photopium ( ) posted Wed, 06 January 2010 at 8:24 AM

Original Pose Magic was for any biped figure.  PoseMagic V4 was designed specifically for V4.  -WTB

Silke ( ) posted Thu, 07 January 2010 at 2:21 PM

Okay, chiming in.

XA by Dimension3D is a must for me now. Oh gosh, soooo handy. (Little toolbar where you can put stuff you use often, Content Paradise)

Shaderworks Library (available at RDNA) is also totally awesome and I wouldn't be without it now (Sorry D3D, I really didn't get on with XL)

I've also just bought the GI Light Studio over at RDNA (there's a sale on it atm) and I'm trying that out as we speak. Will report back on that one.
Another on my wishlist is the Light and Camera guide one from there, but it's a bit too expensive for me atm, so I have to wait for a sale. :)

Silke

Silke ( ) posted Thu, 07 January 2010 at 2:39 PM

file_446014.jpg

Okay, color me pretty darn impressed. This was rendered using GI Studio, with only one specular light and BB's EnvDome. The texture is by Mec3D.

Highly recommended little tool -- and it's on sale until the 24th... I'd suggest grabbing it. :)

Silke

bantha ( ) posted Thu, 07 January 2010 at 4:31 PM

Shaper seems to be very usefull - I like to do my morphs with Silo, and Shaper seems to work better then Kawecki's morpher.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Sat, 09 January 2010 at 3:45 PM

Attached Link: Snarlygribbly's Snow Machine

My Snow Machine script, which lets you selectively add Anthanasius' great snow texture to a Poser scene.

And it's free :-)

Free stuff @ https://poser.cobrablade.net/

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sat, 09 January 2010 at 10:13 PM

Quote - My Snow Machine script, which lets you selectively add Anthanasius' great snow texture to a Poser scene.

And it's free :-)

Might want to have a look at the link... http://ssm? My browser doesn't seem to like it, for some reason. www isn't working either.

Metaphor of Chooks

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 10 January 2010 at 12:26 AM

Works for me. ssm is a subdomain; can't be used with www.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 10 January 2010 at 12:28 AM

Hmmm a new wrinkle for me. Yep, works for me now too...

Metaphor of Chooks

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sun, 10 January 2010 at 12:35 AM

"Might want to have a look at the link..." 

According to OpenDNS, the nameservers are down. The Google cached entry works so it seems to be a plumbing issue.

My vote is for PoseRay. Though designed to get Poser content into the POVRay (or Kerkythea) render engines, the built in Lightwave import/export to .obj is wonderful for using all the  great free Lightwave models available like the great vehicles from http://dmi.chez-alice.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Dave-So ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2010 at 12:54 PM

more more :)

kobaltkween ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2010 at 1:56 PM

most of mine have already been mentioned, but i'll add my 2 cents anyway.

Matmatic - no better tool for creating materials.  i can create multiple colors of one type of material in a very short time, and create materials for a whole scene.

because of the above, i no longer need ShaderSpider (i create my own material collections), but i used it all the time when i didn't use Matmatic.

Blender is by far my most useful tool.  the sculpting, modeling, cloth sim and fluid sim tools are really useful to me.  i highly recommend it.  other 3d tools might be as useful, but even if i've heard of them shipping with sculpting and cloth tools, i'm not as sure about built in fluid sims.  it also does UV mapping, but not as powerfully as some UV mapping tools, and you can do projection painting and such, but again, not as powerfully as some other  tools.

the online scientific calculator at http://web2.0calc.com/.  there's some crazy stuff i do with materials that have needed it, but it's just as important to work out scale issues when modeling.  even if you're just eyeballing one part of something, you might want to calculate the rest of a model based on that original size.

Wacom pen & tablet.  absolutely indispensible.

mechanical pencil, eraser, sketchbook, and notebook. the sketchbook is useful for sketching out ideas, thinking about how something looks at different angles, and occasionally jotting down settings or other numbers.  the notebook is good for recording what i'm doing and why, so i don't keep forgetting solutions to problems.

Cr2 Editor.  really, really useful for fixing stuff like references to textures.  works on everything from character files to props to materials.  iirc, it's necessary to get the version EnglishBob links to because there's a newer one that messes up your files.

since i'm still on P6 (hopefully not for too much longer), bagginsbill's GenIBL tool.  

Photoshop & Fireworks. Photoshop is great for photo editing and painting.  since Fireworks is vector based, and has lots of patterns (which you can add to), textures (which you can also add to), variable strokes, and other features, it can do pretty much everything i've seen listed as a StitchWitch feature.

tools i would like to acquire so i can do things i can't now are Zbrush and Vue.  Zbrush for certain types of folds and such in clothes, and Vue for outdoor scenes.

cfpage ( ) posted Tue, 16 March 2010 at 10:21 AM

Quote - About Shaper program and multi-part morph,

I'm out, and can't access my 3D programs now. So It may not precise, but my workflow is:

.Export figure geometry from Poser.
 Check 'Include Body Part Name' only, uncheck all other.
 DO NOT check 'weld' and 'As morph target' options.

.Load obj file to Shaper
 Special Function -> Fusion
 This unified all body part as one part, and weld vertices.
  Save.

.In any modelar program, modify figure object.
 DO NOT add/remove vertices/edges/polygons.
 Vertices order is not important.
  Save obj.

.Load Modified obj to Shaper
 Special Function -> To Original
  This restore original body parts.
  Save obj.

.Load original figure cr2 file to PFE.
 Tools -> Create Morph.
 Specify modified obj file from Shaper.
 If you want to make ValueParm in body, check Full Body Morph option.
 Save new Cr2 file as modified figure.

Done.

shaper sounds like something I would like to try, I followed your instuctions  but  I am doing some thing wrong
I loaded poser export, hit fusion and saved loaded fig to modeler made changes now do I save
as new obj or over write this one,
Iam lost any help ?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.