Mon, Sep 16, 11:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 7:48 pm)

Subject: Poser 8 Preview = No Anti-aliasing

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 30 December 2009 at 4:17 PM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 11:28 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_445582.jpg

I can't seem to get the preview in Poser 8 to use anti-aliasing.  I have the "Antialias" box checked for Preview in Render Settings.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 30 December 2009 at 4:18 PM

file_445583.jpg

I have the nVidia control panel set up to force 8X antialiasing.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 30 December 2009 at 4:19 PM · edited Wed, 30 December 2009 at 4:31 PM

file_445587.jpg

That works for Poser 7, as shown by this P7 Preview screen grab.

If I don't force the settings in nVidia control panel, P7 won't anti-alias at all.

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 30 December 2009 at 4:23 PM · edited Wed, 30 December 2009 at 4:36 PM

file_445588.jpg

In Poser 8, however, the file will open with anti-aliasing but will lose it if I switch cameras, and it is never restored.  Apparently nVidia can impose the settings on P8 only when it is initially opened.

Here's a P8 screen grab.  Jaggies!

I'm only able to get any anti-aliasing at all in P8 (before switching cameras) by forcing the settings with nVidia.

Does anyone else have problems like this, or suggestions for how I can correct this?

I have recently updated my display and graphics drivers.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.  :D

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 30 December 2009 at 4:23 PM

I've never used that setting, but I'm pretty sure Window -> Antialias document still works, at least until you move the camera or some such.

My Freebies

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 30 December 2009 at 4:28 PM · edited Wed, 30 December 2009 at 4:38 PM

Ah!  I thought Antialias document had been removed.  I was looking in the Display menu.

I found it under the Render menu, and it will antialias the document, but only until the camera is moved.  In P7 I've had constant anti-aliasing and I now find the jagged edges distracting while I'm working.  I'm hoping to achieve anti-aliasing in Poser 8 under normal working conditions.  I assume the capability is supposed to be there.  Not only can P7 do it, but there is an Antialias checkbox in the Preview settings.  It just doesn't do anything at all for me.

JimTS ( ) posted Wed, 30 December 2009 at 4:40 PM

Yep that's a bug.Since the textured preview is so weak why not turn down the display and accept that previews are imperfect.
Or is your disclaimer in effect?

A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket
Charles Péguy

Heat and animosity, contest and conflict, may sharpen the wits, although they rarely do;they never strengthen the understanding, clear the perspicacity, guide the judgment, or improve the heart
Walter Savage Landor

So is that TTFN or TANSTAAFL?

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 30 December 2009 at 4:46 PM

Huh.  According to the render settings help, the "Antialias" checkbox will "Antialias scene when rendering in Preview Mode".   Which may relate to the use of the "Render Now (Preview)" button, and not the normal display of the working preview window.  So possibly Poser does not have the capability to antialias the preview window at all.

In which case, my being able to anti-alias the Poser 7 preview window may be a fluke.

So I ask: do any of you have an anti-aliased preview window in your version of Poser, under normal working conditions (that is, other than after using the "Antialias Document" menu option)?  Do all of you have jagged-edged previews?

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 30 December 2009 at 4:53 PM

Yep that's a bug.Since the textured preview is so weak why not turn down the display and accept that previews are imperfect.
Or is your disclaimer in effect?

It's a bug, then?

I'm not sure what you're suggesting by "turn down the display and accept that previews are imperfect."

My disclaimer didn't really apply to this thread up until the point I read your comment.  :)  I'm not posting without thinking, and I'm not posting in an emotionally-driven state.  I'm seeking information.  Is it wrong to ask questions when there is a perceived problem?  My apologies if I have somehow given offense.  The disclaimer is there because I'm aware that I lose my temper on the forum sometimes, and 'Rosity limits the time within which one can edit a post.  It's intended as an apology.

Back on topic, does anyone have any useful information about the matter?

ghonma ( ) posted Wed, 30 December 2009 at 4:53 PM

Try making a new profile just for the poser 8 executable and force AA in that. Sometimes the base profile doesn't apply properly to all apps.

You could also try something like the nHancer tool (it's free, try googling) which can sometimes work where the driver settings don't.

And of course try different drivers.

JimTS ( ) posted Wed, 30 December 2009 at 5:03 PM

Now that I think about it whether or not the preview anti aliases being a bug or just an anomaly, quirk or instability could be subject to interpretation
No I'm not razzing you that was my thoughtless aside. Excuse me

A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket
Charles Péguy

Heat and animosity, contest and conflict, may sharpen the wits, although they rarely do;they never strengthen the understanding, clear the perspicacity, guide the judgment, or improve the heart
Walter Savage Landor

So is that TTFN or TANSTAAFL?

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 30 December 2009 at 5:26 PM

**Try making a new profile just for the poser 8 executable and force AA in that. Sometimes the base profile doesn't apply properly to all apps.

You could also try something like the nHancer tool (it's free, try googling) which can sometimes work where the driver settings don't.

And of course try different drivers.**

Let's see.  I've tried a separate profile, but the best results I can get with that are the same as those from using the base profile.  :(  Moreover, nVidia control panel will only allow one listing for "poser.exe".  I had Poser 7 listed and replaced it with Poser 8 by deleting and browsing for the new app.  Poser 7 still anti-aliases and Poser 8 still fails to do so.

I've downloaded nHancer and so far it doesn't seem to help.  I'll keep tinkering with it, and see if anything comes of the effort.

Where can I find new drivers?  I wasn't aware that there might be alternatives.  I recently updated my nVidia drivers by going to the nVidia site.

ghonma ( ) posted Wed, 30 December 2009 at 5:52 PM

By different i mean older or beta ones, both of which can also be downloaded from nVIDIA's site or something like www.guru3d.com

Though i should mention that there are a whole bunch of these and finding one particular version that fixes your problem (and doesn't cause any new ones) is possibly more trouble then it's worth. It may be easier to just live with the lack of AA.

Believable3D ( ) posted Wed, 30 December 2009 at 6:21 PM

My preview is aliased when I hover over elements in the window, but it anti-aliases when I move the mouse away.

Are you current with your graphics driver? that would explain why it works in older versions but not P8, I think.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

R_Hatch ( ) posted Thu, 31 December 2009 at 3:15 AM

I can verify that nHancer can force the Poser 8 OpenGL preview to antialias, but it also seemed to cause sluggishness and a bit of instability, so I don't use it with Poser anymore.

Cage ( ) posted Thu, 31 December 2009 at 3:01 PM

ghonma:  Thank you for the explanation!  :D  I'm a bit uncomfortable with the idea  of  trying to use  an older or outdated driver.  I'll keep that idea in mind in case I reach the point where I simply can't stand it any longer.

Believable3D: You get the jaggies when hovering over an object?  Have you turned off the outline for the selectable object, over which you're hovering (I think it can be done by altering the figure ring settings in the Poser.ini)?  In my P8, objects are jagged, but the selection outline isn't.  Interesting.

I've updated both my graphics driver and my display driver, since installing P8 about two weeks ago.  I don't think I've noticed any changes in P8 handling because of these updates, but it's hard to say because I was having so many problems early on which were solved by SR2.1, also within the same timeframe.  I wasn't really paying attention to display issues until the crashes ceased.

R_Hatch: Do you remember what settings worked for you, with nHancer?  I haven't managed to find working settings yet, and I'd be willing to brave the sluggishness, to see if my overall Poser 8 experience actually improves.

Thank you, everyone, for your help!  :D

rjjack ( ) posted Thu, 31 December 2009 at 4:44 PM

file_445658.png

Poser Pro and Poser 8 preview are anti-aliased on my system, i have a FX2700 with the driver 185.85, for the settings i have just set the global parameter on Quality

Cage ( ) posted Thu, 31 December 2009 at 5:37 PM

Hi, rjjack.  The Quality setting was the first thing I tried.  It doesn't help with either Poser 7 or Poser 8.  My driver version is 195.62.  Perhaps if I decide to backtrack to an older driver, I should try 185.85.

R_Hatch ( ) posted Thu, 31 December 2009 at 9:06 PM

I think I just used multisampling 4x, but I'm not sure and I already deleted the preset. Just remember to restart Poser after changing settings or you won't see any effect.

Jack D. Kammerer ( ) posted Sat, 16 January 2010 at 4:02 PM · edited Sat, 16 January 2010 at 4:03 PM

Hey Cage,

I know I am a little late to the party here, but I just recently experienced the same problem that you had and after going through the same headaches that you went through trying to figure out why it wasn't working, I finally found the problem (well at least for me and hopefully for you).

Apparantly there are certain video codecs that conflict with Poser 8. I had the K-Lite codec pack installed on my system and once uninstalled and an alternate codec pack specific for Window's Vista x64 installed in it's place the anti-aliasing in Poser 8's preview worked again.

Hope that helps you and anyone else who may undergo this trouble.

~Jack

Cage ( ) posted Sun, 17 January 2010 at 1:33 PM

Whoa!  I have the K-Lite codec pack installed.  I hope that's the problem.  I'll look for an alternative, then.

Thanks, Jack!

Cage ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 2:09 PM

Well, dang.  Switching my codec installation hasn't helped at all.  Sigh.

I should note that I'm running the standard x32 Vista, not the x64.  So possibly the codec resolution is something which will help with 64.

I guess I'll try to get used to jaggies again.  I suppose there's little hope that this is the sort of thing which will be magically fixed in an upcoming service release.  Sigh.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, everyone.

Cage ( ) posted Sun, 24 January 2010 at 4:03 PM

Just for closure on the topic, in case anyone reads this thread in the future, looking for solutions: I did finally get the Poser 8 preview to antialias properly.  It looks like the key was checking the OpenGL Support box on the OpenGL tab, under Compatibility, with nHancer.  I also let Vista run all its requested updates and updated my nVidia drivers again, but neither of these seems to have been what fixed matters.

Checking the OpenGL Support 2 box breaks the effect.  Thus far, I've noted no problems from using nHancer.

So, anyone who's having trouble in the future, it may help to try nHancer.

Thanks again for the help, folks!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.