Fri, Sep 20, 12:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Obj importing into Poser 6/7

Shoshone ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 8:24 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 12:35 PM

Hi All,

I have decided to dip my toe into the creating my  own morphs for poser figures and have come up against a brick wall.

My problem is that although I can create the morphed obj with no problem at all, everytime I import it into Poser to check that it is in the correct position on the figure it imports at a position that is bisected by the ground plane (This is also true for any other obj file I try to import.) and so if I use the obj as a morph target the body part is dragged down to the ground plane. The actual morph seems to work but only when the body part is at this position.

Now as you can imagine this is rather frustrating, especially as I see the wonderful morphs that are produced by members of this community and I'd rather not start the New Year with a large lump on my forehead due to constantly banging it against the wall.

I am using C4D R10 to create the morphs and following Shanna's tutorial

http://artzone.daz3d.com/wiki/doku.php/pub/tutorials/models/models-gen34

and Poser 6 (although I can get access to Poser 7 on a friends computer) to try out the morph.

If anyone can help you will be saving an poor soul from permanent disfigurement (or would that be morphing?) by a large and rather solid brick wall.

geep ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 8:41 AM · edited Sat, 02 January 2010 at 8:48 AM

Attached Link: Morph Tutorial compliments of Dr Geep Stodios

file_445727.gif

*(click the image to view full size) (click the link above the image and scroll down to view the complete tut)*

Dear Brick Wall, :lol:

You may find some help in the tutorial about morphs.
In the meantime, make sure you UNcheck "Centered" when you import .
Centering places the center of the imported object in the center of the Poser studio and will bury it halfway in the GROUND. ... ;=[

cheers,
dr (bob) geep
;=]

P.S. Please SEE PAGE 10 in the tut !

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 8:44 AM

Attached Link: http://www.drgeep.com/p4/mt/mt.htm

file_445728.gif

... one more time ... ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 8:48 AM

You need to create a base line in your modeling program to guage scale and position against. The easiest way to do this is uncompress the obj files in Poser, then make a copy of a figure obj from the Runtime:Geometries and import that into your modeling program as your base line.
Say "PrestoChango!" :lol:

Comitted to excellence through art.

Shoshone ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 9:15 AM

Hi Geep.

Synchronicity rears it's extremely strange head!!

I was just reading your Wings3D tutorial and just checked back to see if there was a reply.

SPOOKY!!!

I have tried to import without the centred setting but............hang on!

I just thought I'd try it again and it it has actually imported above the ground plane this time, only problem is it is tiny!

Me and Poser are going to have a serious falling out soon.

How weird, I thought that I'd done that before. I wonder if............no, still doesn't work.

Tried to use it as a target again and it still pulls the body part down.

Could my scale be wrong? The tutorial said to scale up by 1000 to work on it and then 'scale the group back down by .001'.

This seems a bit ambiguous, is it scale back to 0.001 or scale it down by 0.001 which will be 0.999 because it is importing so small?

geep ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 9:24 AM · edited Sat, 02 January 2010 at 9:25 AM

Or ... don't change the scale at all ... :blink: ___ HUH?

Let me get my (you know what) together and I'll asplain ... please stand by.

cheers, etc.
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Shoshone ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 9:26 AM

Hi Dark Edge,

I did try that option but according to the tutorial apparently the Obj import on C4D messes with the geometry somehow and you end up with a mess. I tried it and ended up with something akin to a hedgehog having a bad hair day when I injected the MT to the figure.

Looks like you have to open the figure in Poser and export as 3DS to preserve the geometry.

I think I'll get a copy of Wings3D and try that, it may be that C4D just too finniky for greating morphs. I only want to try some simple morphs anyway so I dont need to have a mega program to do that.

Thanks for your reply, I'll post any success (or hospital bills!).

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 9:34 AM

If you are using C4D, look into Riptide, it has a lot more functions than C4D's base OBJ converter.  I use it daily, great utility.
http://skinprops.com/riptide.php

My Freebies

Shoshone ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 9:37 AM

Thanks for the headsup pjz99.

Downloading now.

Will let you know how it goes.

geep ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 9:41 AM

Ok. 😄 ... I shall standby. :biggrin:

P.S. Da NaySayGuy said he'd pay your (mental) hospital bills cuz he knows how to do that. :lol:
(He said It's a "been there- done that" sort of thing.)

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Shoshone ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 10:05 AM

Ok, sucess!!!!!!!

It is obviously C4D's obj export module that is the problem.

Just tried Riptide and everything worked hunkydory (hey thats Bowie isn't it!).

Thanks to everyone for their time and advice, you guys ROCK!

I'm going to try Wings3D as well just to add another string to my rendering bow.

I really must start posting my renders here so you guys can see the results.

Once again thanks for taking time out of your day to help a befuddled and irate morphing newbie.

I'm off to morph everything and anything (watchout Tibbles, your next!) and dab my forehead with copious amounts of TCP.

Cheers guys.

geep ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 10:12 AM

👍

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 11:07 AM

Just wait until you try to get the morph back into Poser, don't say thanks yet ;)

My Freebies

geep ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 11:46 AM

Ok, it's time ............ for another tut, ha ha. :lol:

Makin' morphs with Wings3D is easy ........................... when you know the "magic!" ... :biggrin:

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Shoshone ( ) posted Sun, 03 January 2010 at 5:52 AM

Ah, that was the 'success' bit pjz99.

Already morphed my figure, worked beautifully.

Ready to take on the world now and morph anything that moves........or doesn't move.........or only moves slightly every now and again...........

R_Hatch ( ) posted Sun, 03 January 2010 at 7:05 AM

Quote -
Ready to take on the world now and morph anything that .........only moves slightly every now and again...........

Hey! Leave me out of this :tongue2:

Shoshone ( ) posted Sun, 03 January 2010 at 7:14 AM · edited Sun, 03 January 2010 at 7:15 AM

Noooone can escape from MORPHING MAGIC!!!!!!!!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.