Thu, Sep 19, 9:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Question on Bryce 6.3

GreenHawke ( ) posted Fri, 25 December 2009 at 7:08 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 9:28 PM

Good Morning and Merry Christmas!

Well, I got 6.3 finally!  I'm having some fun just looking around for changes...

Have a question - actually, 2.  First:  In the presets there's a section called "Special Trees".  What are these?  Near as I can tel, it's just 2 trees (Bryce trees) grouped together.  What's the deal?

Second:  Is there a manual for this version of Bryce (6.3)?  I have a manual in PDF format for 5.5.  Couldn't find one for 6.3, though...  

Thanks!  And MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!

Kevin

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny ...'
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

SndCastie ( ) posted Fri, 25 December 2009 at 9:16 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2790573

The only other manual I see is the one for 6.1.13.1 at the attached link

As for the trees they are special because there are two of them LOL

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

GreenHawke ( ) posted Fri, 25 December 2009 at 9:34 AM

Appreciate the quick response, but the link is to this post....

Hmm, "special trees" are special because there's two of them?  LOL!  One good thing is that they don't appear to be missing sections any more when placed close by each other...

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny ...'

bobbystahr ( ) posted Fri, 25 December 2009 at 10:07 AM

Ooops Sandy...that just led back to this thread>>>LOL...Merry Christmas enny hough.. ...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

SndCastie ( ) posted Fri, 25 December 2009 at 10:39 AM · edited Fri, 25 December 2009 at 10:40 AM

Attached Link: http://artzone.daz3d.com/wiki/doku.php/pub/software/bryce/start

oops LOL Here is the correct link

Sandy

SndCastie's Little Haven

bobbystahr ( ) posted Fri, 25 December 2009 at 10:45 AM

LOL...good on ya Sandy

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

GreenHawke ( ) posted Fri, 25 December 2009 at 11:40 AM

Thanks!

foleypro ( ) posted Fri, 25 December 2009 at 8:30 PM · edited Fri, 25 December 2009 at 8:33 PM

Quote - Appreciate the quick response, but the link is to this post....

Hmm, "special trees" are special because there's two of them?  LOL!  One good thing is that they don't appear to be missing sections any more when placed close by each other...

Thats what I named the Library when I gave to DAZ for inclusion of 5.5/6.0...

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 5:52 AM
Forum Moderator

Unless I am mistaken the idea of these trees was to be able to create huge forested areas without oveloading Bryce.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

GreenHawke ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 6:47 AM

Well, in any case, I don't think I'll be keeping it- or USING it.  It's crashed on me over and over.  It crashes every time I try to import a DAZ figure.  It crashes here and there while in in the DTE...  Too many crashes.

I'll be looking forward to version 7...

Kevin

foleypro ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 10:29 AM

Did you ley it install to the default location...?

DAZ 3D/Bryce...?
And the content went where...?
You didnt let it overwrite 6.1 did you...?

If this happened then you need to save your stuff in 6.1 and re-install 6.3...

GreenHawke ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 10:35 AM · edited Sat, 26 December 2009 at 10:36 AM

I don't have 6.1.  I had 5.5 and did the upgrade to 6.3.  I did the install all by default, I didn't change any directories it wanted to use.

Why?  Does it sound like I screwed it up?

I LOVE Bryce and am VERY disappointed with my 6.3 install, in fact, I have asked for a refund.

Kevin

foleypro ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 10:42 AM

Didnt say you goofed up was just asking...

Did the content all install...
Could it have been a Corrupted download...?

GreenHawke ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 10:47 AM

My screw-up was in buying a bug-fix.  :-)  Should've researched more, at least here in the forums.  I would have seen the trouble ahead.

I "think" my install was fine.  All the new content appears to be in it's proper places.  I really LOVE the new one, but I can't import anything I've tried (Was trying to do a figure I put together in DAZ3, but every time I tried to import the figure, it crashed).  I even did some older, plain figures I had left from past scenes I made that I know were not a problem and it still crashed 6.3...  And the render times are horrendous!  I would guess that they are nearly twice as long as 5.5...

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 11:12 AM

Slightly OT GreenHawke,   I have an item of yours in Freestuff Pending for which I sent you both a site mail and an e mail about...could you read either and take the appropriate action...thanks..bobbystahr

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

GreenHawke ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 11:40 AM

Sorry, Bobby...  Can you just go ahead and delete it?  I'll do another later...  Don't know WHAT I did to screw that one up....

Read them both, BTW.  Sorry for the lack of response...

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 12:44 PM

Thanks man and it's deleted now...I understand, what with the hassles 6.3 seems to be causing...glad I held off on installing from lack of time myself now...hope this gets sorted out....this thread may be of value in the long run to others in your position upping from 5.0/5 so maybe thebryster could sticky it.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 1:28 PM
Forum Moderator

Stickied.

Am I the only one who is not having a prob with 6.3?

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

SndCastie ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 1:36 PM

So far no problems but haven't tried to import something yet

Sandy

SndCastie's Little Haven

GreenHawke ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 1:37 PM

Quote - Stickied.

Am I the only one who is not having a prob with 6.3?

I sincerely hope so!  I'm not kidding when I say I love Bryce!  Really bumms me out that I am having ANY trouble with it!  In my case, it may be partially due to the fact I have an older system:  AMD Sempron (1.6gHz), 750mb RAM, 40gb HD...  

But, I'm coming out of "retirement" and going back to the ER (ER nurse)...  Wanted to avoid it, but I gotta pay for my toys!  😉

Too many cool things I want...  Guess I can handle a few more years for that!

foleypro ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 1:42 PM · edited Sat, 26 December 2009 at 1:43 PM

So sorry that you had problems...
6.3 runs great on my machine...
The renders are slower because of a bug fix from 6.0 fix from 5.5...doh...!

Here's to getting everythang fixed in Bryce7...

GreenHawke ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 1:49 PM

Quote - So sorry that you had problems...
6.3 runs great on my machine...
The renders are slower because of a bug fix from 6.0 fix from 5.5...doh...!

Here's to getting everythang fixed in Bryce7...

HERE! HERE!  I am even more excited for Bryce 7!!!

Can't wait!!!

ThunderStone ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 4:58 PM

No problem here... I imported a taxi car, 3DS and it went fine. Having no problems with 6.3 tho, I'm still confused about that lil 1 thingy that pops up with the ctrl/alt drag combo... :lol:

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

erosiaart ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 3:12 AM

I'll wait for 7, thank you. When that happens.....

Nukeboy ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 3:37 PM

My only beef so far is that conformed items imported from DAZ Studio no longer are grouped with the main object (i.e. clothes that are conformed to, say, V4 are not grouped with V4 and are not uniquely named - two objects named V4).

Anyone else have this problem?

foleypro ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 7:25 PM

Its an issue thats been reported ...

GreenHawke ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 8:55 PM

Quote - ...

I LOVE Bryce and am VERY disappointed with my 6.3 install, in fact, I have asked for a refund.

Kevin

Just wanted to say that when I got a return email from DAZ they were VERY nice  Gave me a refund no questions asked...  I kinda felt like a heel wanting a refund and all, but they were as nice as can be.  I have no qualms whatsoever over doing any other biz with DAZ any time in the future.

Kevin

foleypro ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 9:03 PM

Its cool...

Listen version 6.3 wasnt for you..maybe 7 will be....

GreenHawke ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2010 at 9:37 PM

Well, after all the hullabaloo (for em, any way) it's probably just the fact that I need to build another computer.  Seems like only yesterday I put it together, and now it's looking like retiring time for it.  :crying:

There IS a LOT of cool stuff in 6.3, I must say.  I'm looking forward to 7 (AND a new computer)...

Kevin

clay ( ) posted Sun, 03 January 2010 at 7:38 AM

I'll say 7 will be heaven:-P Well a nice pat on the butt maybe, but hold your shorts itsa comin!

Do atleast one thing a day that scares the hell outta ya!!

unnyFies ( ) posted Tue, 05 January 2010 at 1:36 AM

As far as I can remember, Bryce 5.x was a lot stabler than 6. I've been using 6.3 for some days and it looks stabler than 6.1.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Tue, 05 January 2010 at 9:42 AM

Well that's nice to hear...thanks for posting of your experience with 6.3.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

InfernalDarkness ( ) posted Thu, 07 January 2010 at 2:39 PM

"I'll say 7 will be heaven:-P Well a nice pat on the butt maybe, but hold your shorts itsa comin!"

Been saying that since version 3...  And Bryce 7 has been "coming" for years!  I still feel like Bryce 5 was the most solid of all their releases.

GreenHawke ( ) posted Thu, 07 January 2010 at 5:09 PM · edited Thu, 07 January 2010 at 5:11 PM

Quote -
"I'll say 7 will be heaven:-P Well a nice pat on the butt maybe, but hold your shorts itsa comin!"

Been saying that since version 3...  And Bryce 7 has been "coming" for years!  I still feel like Bryce 5 was the most solid of all their releases.

Well, I went back to it (v5.5).  But, I'm REALLY looking forward to 7...

I liked Bryce 6.3 as far as the other improvements.  It's just really slow rendering and (for me) crashed on importing.  But, it has some really cool features!  Hence, can't wait for 7!!!

Angel_Natavi ( ) posted Sat, 09 January 2010 at 11:58 PM · edited Sun, 10 January 2010 at 12:03 AM

To tell the honest truth, I just downloaded 6.3 today.  I wanted to get back to work making some of my custom armor models, and I can't export my meshes.  Why is this the way it is, if anyone can answer me, and how can I make it so that I can actually export?

I actually want to go back to 6.1.  This one takes too long to render, it's preview screen is a little darker, and the overall feel just seems too... loose.  Rushed.

In order to go forward, one must often times look to the past.

unnyFies ( ) posted Sun, 10 January 2010 at 12:22 AM

Ok, got the first quirk from 6.3 as well. In 6.1, I have a plane, preset material "Maple wood", texture woodbase4 scaled in Object space at  X 138%  Y 138 % Z 138%. I save it to a file and load it up in 6.3 and it became mapped in World space at X, Y, Z = 100. How come? I'm reporting this via Mantis... let's hope that glitches won't be popping up like mushrooms in the next days...

unnyFies ( ) posted Sun, 10 January 2010 at 1:03 AM

I've reported both my quirk and the mesh export issue. Hope there won't be any new surprises, but I'm afraid that's ony the beginning. Pity, the did fix the raster texture issues, and I was happy of that. It was a short happiness.

Angel_Natavi ( ) posted Sun, 10 January 2010 at 1:09 AM

I know...  I was hoping the issue with the artifacts made when converting booleaned models into a mesh was fixed with Bryce 6.3.  But, it wasn't.

skiwillgee ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 4:59 PM

I downloaded 6.3 but haven't installed it yet.  For those who have installed it I've got a couple questions:

1 *  Longer render times*  How much is "longer"?   Any test been run?

2   The new download of "content  Is the same content as 6.1 or is it enhanced?

I've got another question but I'll reserve it for if-and-when I install 6.3.

Thanks

unnyFies ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 5:09 PM · edited Mon, 11 January 2010 at 5:13 PM

I hate to sound distrustful, but I suspect they release new versions and then rely on public testing to straighten things out. The fact that boolean mesh export simply doesn't work any longer (that's not a "detail" one should miss before releasing something!) seems to somehow substantiate my suspicions.

I installed 6.3, but kept 6.1 installed. I'd advice to do the same, but I don't know if there is any drawback in doing so.

EDIT: I don't think they added anything significant (or anything at all?) to "content" (but I may have missed it) and I didn't do any "render speed test".

InfernalDarkness ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 5:18 PM

Indeed, Bryce hasn't had a decent beta test system since it's dawn, as far as I know.

The tech is so far behind now, Bryce 7 would have to be almost a completely different application to keep up with Vue and Terragen.

Angel_Natavi ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 6:10 PM

Speed test.  A simple mirrored ball takes a half a minute almost in 6.1 with a flat surface and default sky above.  In 6.3, two minutes.  It varies with computers.

InfernalDarkness ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 6:15 PM

That's simply brutal... 

If one version of Maya had such a bug, the entire userbase would boycott it outright.  Wait, Maya 2010 was identical to Maya 2009!  We DID boycott it outright!  (well, everyone who wasn't on subscription, anyway...)

Sounds to me like not only has the Bryce development team dwindled, they aren't even testing their updates anymore.

unnyFies ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 7:11 PM

Speed test: two spheres, one glass, the other mirror, two planes, one checkered, one mirror (above).

2'34" in 6.3
1'31" in 6.1

Second test, same file, less reliable because I had the browser running:

2'51" in 6.3
1'39" in 6.1

Aw, come on! They must be joking! I mean, just don't release it!

GreenHawke ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 7:22 PM

Has anyone played with the new Lightning Lab?  I didn't have a chance before I returned it...

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 12 January 2010 at 6:35 AM · edited Tue, 12 January 2010 at 6:37 AM
Forum Moderator

and then rely on public testing to straighten things out.

I happen to know that they use a dedicated team of very experienced Brycers who work extremely hard to find and report bugs and test Bryce in as many ways as possible.

unnyFies ( ) posted Tue, 12 January 2010 at 6:48 AM

Quote - I happen to know that they use a dedicated team of very experienced Brycers who work extremely hard to find and report bugs and test Bryce in as many ways as possible.

I don't want to disparage people's work, but whoever tested 6.3 missed out that one of the highlighted features of version 6, boolean mesh export, stopped to work altogether, and that render times were noticeably longer. Either it was intended or not, but the result is that these conspicuous flaws have been discovered after DAZ told its users to download and install 6.3, falling, so to speak, on the users' shoulders.

I didn't pay anything for the upgrade from 6.1 to 6.3. I only wonder why it was released with such outrageous bugs. If it wasn't for my innate mistrust, I'd have 6.1uninstalled before installing 6.3, and I would be very pissed by now.

skiwillgee ( ) posted Tue, 12 January 2010 at 6:54 AM

Well, I'm still at a quandary as to installing or not. 

A wishful hopeis  that the slower render times will be a mote question if it is prelude to B7 capable of addressing 64bit machines - render times would drop and be bug free.  Fingers crossed.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Tue, 12 January 2010 at 11:00 AM

Quote - and then rely on public testing to straighten things out.

I happen to know that they use a dedicated team of very experienced Brycers who work extremely hard to find and report bugs and test Bryce in as many ways as possible.

Seems they missed a bit here by all accounts...I haven't done the update but will likely keep 6.1 active even if I do based on other peeps results.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

foleypro ( ) posted Tue, 12 January 2010 at 11:24 AM

Quote - > Quote - I happen to know that they use a dedicated team of very experienced Brycers who work extremely hard to find and report bugs and test Bryce in as many ways as possible.

I don't want to disparage people's work, but whoever tested 6.3 missed out that one of the highlighted features of version 6, boolean mesh export, stopped to work altogether, and that render times were noticeably longer. Either it was intended or not, but the result is that these conspicuous flaws have been discovered after DAZ told its users to download and install 6.3, falling, so to speak, on the users' shoulders.

I didn't pay anything for the upgrade from 6.1 to 6.3. I only wonder why it was released with such outrageous bugs. If it wasn't for my innate mistrust, I'd have 6.1uninstalled before installing 6.3, and I would be very pissed by now.

6 posts....?
Is any software BUG free...?Vue,Poser,DS...?
In every testing cycle you have either limited resources or you are on a time limit...I am totally sure that both were met in the 6.3 testing cycle and had to be shipped,Unfortunately some things didnt get fixed...
Your lucky to have gotten Bryce 5.5 let alone 6.0+...
Bryce was Dead its now alive...
Some things get Broken to fix other things...
It was also said that it will be fixed in 7 testing cycle...

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 12 January 2010 at 2:06 PM · edited Tue, 12 January 2010 at 2:10 PM
Forum Moderator

Well said, Foleypro!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.