Sun, Sep 15, 11:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 7:30 pm)

Subject: Totally OT - Twitter

basicwiz ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 11:14 AM · edited Mon, 02 September 2024 at 3:04 PM

Am I the only one in the universe who thinks Twitter is a total waste of time? Or do I just "not get it" as to what Twitter is supposed to be about.

I just get a lot more useful info here than I do there. Just wondering if I'm the only one.

JenX ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 11:18 AM

Twitter isn't really an information app...it's a social networking app.  IMHO, expecting to really learn from it is like going to a frat party for help with your Trigonometry.  
Plus, there's only so much you can say in 140 characters.  Here on the forums, you can say a WHOLE lot more than that, and actually get relevant info.  The most you'll get there is...probably advertising, random nonsense comments, news, or politics ;)

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 11:25 AM

I don't tweet or use Facebook ... not my style and there's more stuff here for me.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

raven ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 11:26 AM

The Head of my daughter's school uses Twitter for announcements about her school (ie, happenings, if it's open/shut due to weather, etc), which in the recent spate of bad weather over here was quite handy, it saved having to listen to the local radio to find out if she had to go.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 11:31 AM

no.. your not the only one that spurns twatter, myjunk, fakebook......

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 11:35 AM

Quote - The Head of my daughter's school uses Twitter for announcements about her school (ie, happenings, if it's open/shut due to weather, etc), which in the recent spate of bad weather over here was quite handy, it saved having to listen to the local radio to find out if she had to go.

I can see using Twitter for something like that.  LOL!  It would have come in handy when my kids were smaller and we still lived in Washington state.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 12:10 PM · edited Wed, 20 January 2010 at 12:11 PM

Only juveniles care that everyone in the universe knows exactly what they're doing and where they are from millisecond to millisecond...;o).

I'm way too old for that. I'd rather stay safely and secretly under my rock...lol.

Laurie

JenX ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 12:19 PM

:P  LOL Laurie, c'mon, I have to have SOMEwhere to post my random thoughts :P  if it's just a blurb, it's a waste of blog space, LOL

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 12:44 PM · edited Wed, 20 January 2010 at 12:48 PM

Quote -  :P  LOL Laurie, c'mon, I have to have SOMEwhere to post my random thoughts :P  if it's just a blurb, it's a waste of blog space, LOL

Tweeting is a condition of the younger crowd, and you fit the bill much better than I do...lmao. ;o) I'm too old to care what anyone else is doing or that anyone else knows what I'm doing ;oP. It's enough that I do the Facebook thing and even then, I'm not on it very often.

Besides, no one gives a rat's behind what I'm doing anyway - I live a boring life...lolol.

Laurie

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 1:02 PM

It's proved useful for dissidents in some countries to communicate as well. But the urge to be constantly in contact with even your posse, by any means, at every minute of the day  escapes me completely. I think it's part of the inevitable way that something like the internet is changing society in unexpected ways. Between Twitter and reality television, I'm not as eager to see the future as I used to be.  Looks like it will be everyone with neural implants merged into a giant planetary hive mind, twittering, texting and sexting into oblivion.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 1:15 PM

The local police were having fits on New Years' Eve this year because the DUI checkpoints were all being posted on Twitter.  Not such a good thing, even though I was home with friends rather than at one of the local clubs.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

basicwiz ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 1:18 PM

Now, I think THAT'S a hoot! ROFLMAO.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 1:19 PM

I can't think of much that I would need to tweet about...

"I'm doing the dishes"
"The coffee is brewing..."
"The cat just threw up."
"It's snowing"
"My butt itches"

Nope, don't get it...lolol.

Laurie

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 1:24 PM

Day 1223 : farted. got up. made coffee. checked mail. did laundry. invaded small country.

JenX ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 10:47 PM

:lol:

Although, I don't recall ever tweeting random goings on of my life, unless one of my friends would find it humorous, or it would be a FML situation ("eff" my life).  I try to be useful and/or entertaining ;)

I read more than I post, though.  ;)  and I've been able to talk to a lot of people that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to otherwise, which I find awesome.  

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 20 January 2010 at 11:06 PM · edited Wed, 20 January 2010 at 11:07 PM

Twitter and Facebook etc. are tools for vanity and flattery, mostly.  Everyone can be a little bit famous (or maybe a lot famous and get your trivia talked about on CNN).

edit: it's not exactly the "post your diary online" thing, it's the fact that EVERYONE EVERYWHERE NEEDS TO BE NOTIFIED INSTANTLY when you post a line in your online diary that gets into deeply narcissistic territory.

My Freebies

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Thu, 21 January 2010 at 3:05 AM

Are people who use Twitter called twitterers or twits?

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Gini ( ) posted Thu, 21 January 2010 at 4:49 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Quote - Looks like it will be everyone with neural implants merged into a giant planetary hive mind, twittering, texting and sexting into oblivion.

Lol, my thoughts exactly.

It's hard enough to find somewhere where you can't hear distant cars or airplanes never mind willfully exposing oneself to the mental diarrhoea of ones friends and friends of friends.

By way of answering  Lucifer_the_dark:
to quote David Cameron, conservative party leader, UK (and I never thought I'd be doing that !! )
"The trouble with Twitter, the instantness of it – too many twits might make a twat."

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Thu, 21 January 2010 at 5:06 AM

lol :D

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

JenX ( ) posted Thu, 21 January 2010 at 7:44 AM

Here's where I step in with an obligatory "Let's not go into political territory" post

Please, and thanks :)

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 21 January 2010 at 7:46 AM

snow. snow. more bloody snow. SNOW.. I hate fecking snow! oh. some yellow snow just to break up the monotony...

Scott of the Antarctic on Twitter

Gini ( ) posted Thu, 21 January 2010 at 8:28 AM

Quote -  Here's where I step in with an obligatory "Let's not go into political territory" post

Please, and thanks :)

My intentions were simply to identify the originator of the quote who just happens to be a politician and that realm is not a usual source of quotes for me hence my comment in brackets.

Knuckle rapping accepted and please accept my apologies for using bad words... though I did use a language flag ; ))

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

JenX ( ) posted Thu, 21 January 2010 at 8:35 AM

No worries, it was just a general "Hey, folks, let's not head in that direction" post.  There's a missing post up there that reminded me to post it, but it kind of seems irrelevant now.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 21 January 2010 at 11:54 AM

Indulgence and self-importance.  Ah, for the simpler days.

bantha ( ) posted Thu, 21 January 2010 at 2:52 PM

I tired Twitter and Facebook, but I still haven't decided if I like it or if I think it's not for me. Well, time will tell me.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

Belladzines ( ) posted Thu, 21 January 2010 at 3:10 PM

I use facebook to keep with family and friends overseas ....

as for twitter ... i signed up but i dont use it - havent used it at all ...i dont know how it works and the funny thing is .. i have all these people following me LOL .... i have no idea who they are!! ....

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 21 January 2010 at 3:45 PM

Quote - ... i signed up but i dont use it - havent used it at all ...i dont know how it works and the funny thing is .. i have all these people following me LOL .... i have no idea who they are!! ....

That's what I find really, really creepy about Twitter...lolol.

Laurie

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 21 January 2010 at 8:30 PM

LOL.

cyberscape ( ) posted Thu, 21 January 2010 at 11:33 PM

Well, on the flipside to all the "look at me!!!" crap that goes on with Facebook, myspace and whatever else.... I will say that facebook recently helped me get back in touch with an old friend that I haven't seen since 1989!!  So, there are some good points to all those 'jabber-jaw' applications after all :0)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

AMD FX-9590 4.7ghz 8-core, 32gb of RAM, Win7 64bit, nVidia GeForce GTX 760

PoserPro2012, Photoshop CS4 and Magix Music Maker

--------------------------------------------------------------

...and when the day is dawning...I have to say goodbye...a last look back into...your broken eyes.

MaterialForge ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 8:45 AM

It has its uses.

I've connected with some cool folks through Twitter and have been introduced to a lot of cool new music, design resources, software, artwork, etc. It takes a while to get the hang of it, and once the novelty wears off you can find useful info. The key is to filter through the crap and follow people that actually write worthwhile posts.

As a vendor, I use it for posting promos - I make sales whenever I post there. :)

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 12:57 PM

My apologies to Gini. It was I who ("There's a missing post up there that reminded me to post it,") was the real repremandee. When I realized that my reply to your amusing anecdote had run afoul of the rules I deleted it - not meaning to leave you as the kid holding the slingshot.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.