Mon, Sep 16, 11:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 7:48 pm)

Subject: Greenish Blue Veins - How to Achieve?

flibbits ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 6:35 PM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 3:31 PM

I asked this in a thread about displacement maps for H3. 

So we can use displacement maps to make veins on skin, but how can they be colored to look like the greenish blue veins beneath human skin?

JimTS ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 6:39 PM

A blue /green diffuse -blender node using the displacement map as a mask?

A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket
Charles Péguy

Heat and animosity, contest and conflict, may sharpen the wits, although they rarely do;they never strengthen the understanding, clear the perspicacity, guide the judgment, or improve the heart
Walter Savage Landor

So is that TTFN or TANSTAAFL?

flibbits ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 6:47 PM · edited Fri, 22 January 2010 at 6:49 PM

Someone suggested that.  Here's the screenshot of their suggesting.  When I tried it, it turned the skin blue.

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 7:02 PM

It would have helped if you had the displacement expanded so that we could see it.

I'll guess that the veins are light grey on a darker grey background.  You need a black background.  Try running the displacement map to a math function node (subtract) and subtract 0.5 or whatever it takes to just reach a black background.  Run this output to another math node to take the square root to restore some dynamic range.  Run that output to the root shader node's displacement input.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

flibbits ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 7:33 PM

It wasn't my image, it was from the person who suggested it.

"You need a black background.  Try running the displacement map to a math function node (subtract) and subtract 0.5 or whatever it takes to just reach a black background.  Run this output to another math node to take the square root to restore some dynamic range.  Run that output to the root shader node's displacement input."

I think that's what the M4 displacement maps do, so I will try copying their nodes.

ima70 ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 7:40 PM

Quote - It would have helped if you had the displacement expanded so that we could see it.

I'll guess that the veins are light grey on a darker grey background.  You need a black background.  Try running the displacement map to a math function node (subtract) and subtract 0.5 or whatever it takes to just reach a black background.  Run this output to another math node to take the square root to restore some dynamic range.  Run that output to the root shader node's displacement input.

That's right, I posted that Screen Capture, and my displacement  is black Background with veins in white and shades of gray, that's how the displacement map must be to work this way, and the veins map must be plugged to the displacement channel not the bump

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 9:26 PM

file_446915.JPG

Ah, so flibbits is using a different dsplc map, the one offered by TrekkieGrrrl?

Ok, here is a node function which will get you the de-oxegenated looking veins with displacement, using TrekkieGrrrl's map.

Poser 12, in feet.  

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 9:34 PM

file_446916.jpg

sample render on H3:

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 10:10 PM · edited Fri, 22 January 2010 at 10:10 PM

file_446917.jpg

Oh, flibbits -  if you intend to use the M4 maps on H3, you'll find that they won't line up.  Gen3 millennium dolls can share maps with each other, but the gen4 mil dolls are mapped differently.

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 10:11 PM

file_446918.jpg

Poser 12, in feet.  

flibbits ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 10:40 PM

To what is image map 4, the top right, attached? 

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 11:15 PM · edited Fri, 22 January 2010 at 11:29 PM

Image map 4 is TrekkieGrrrl's vein bump/dsplc map.  Its output -the purple "cable"-  plugs into the upper socket of the math node in the bottom right corner.

The math nodes process it and hand it off from right to left, ending with an image that has grey veins on a black background.  The last math node (bottom left) then plugs into the displacement socket and also controls the amount of blending.

• "math functions"     darkens the entire image until the background is black, with only the veins, etc remaining.
  •   "mat functions 3"     is a clamp;  any pixels which are less than zero (i.e., negative) are set to zero.  I don't want any negative pixels when I take the square root.
  •   "math functions 2" brightens the veins by taking the square root.  The square root of a positive number less than 1 is always greater, though still less than 1.  For example, the square root of one half is 0.7071...

Poser 12, in feet.  

flibbits ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 11:36 PM

That does a nice job.  To get the veins to pop out, connect that top right image map (the displ map) to bump.

Thanks for all the help.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 23 January 2010 at 7:29 AM

seachnasigh,

I confer the title of Node Elf upon you.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sat, 23 January 2010 at 12:18 PM

Quote - seachnasigh,

I confer the title of Node Elf upon you.

Gratefully received, BB!  :biggrin:

Poser 12, in feet.  

cfpage ( ) posted Sat, 23 January 2010 at 3:24 PM

Mr bagginsbill reg. veins in your first vss prop you had a "spots node", you could could change the spots to a veins map, change the color and use the proper dispacement, I think it would produce a
good effect. Ive been trying to get a veins node, but I'am not very good with material room.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.