Fri, Sep 20, 12:52 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Apple iPad and Poser...

onimusha ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 3:14 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 12:44 AM

Attached Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/technology/companies/28apple.html?hp

I absolutely detest Apple as a company, their marketing schemes, their products, their computers, their hardware, Apple stores, and I think Steve Jobs is a horrible human being.

That aside, this iPad intrigues me.  Now it's not even close to the first time someone has come out with a tablet PC, but they haven't done very well and have generally not been powerful machines.

I'm wondering if this will be something that could work well with Poser, and more specifically using it to do post work on renders.  Will it have the sensitivity to make it a useful art tool or will it just be an overgrown iPhone?

Wondering what my fellow Poser artists think.

JenX ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 3:23 PM

My personal opinion is...I would still stick to a PC, Mac desktop or power laptop if I were you.  At 64 GB max storage and 1GHz processing power, I don't see it replacing more powerful computers for 3D work anytime soon.  

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Belladzines ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 3:46 PM

My personal opinion is that i've had nothing but an absolute pleasure being with Apple, i've been a Mac user for a couple of years and my husband more then me and their ads might annoy some people but we find them hiliarious ..... and their customer service is amazing .... not to mention some of their other services ....
and yeah my husband is looking into the IPad too ... it intrigues him but then so do alot of "gadgets"

lkendall ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 3:46 PM

There will be five or six companies producing Tablet/Pad computers over this year, even M$. At least some of these will have more storage, expandability, and pen functions. Some will have faster processors.

The I-Pad is NON-expandable. There are no ports for SD cards or peripherals, and the sync-port is not likely to power any gadgets that an I-Pod touch will not run. The input device is the finger-tip. This will not allow for the same precision as a mouse or a pen. Trying to type something on my I-Pad is strictly hit or miss. I could never write a novel on it or postwork a render.

The I-Pad is for reading books (magazines/newspapers), watching movies (TV), playing games, and listening to movies. Most I-Phone applications will work on it. At least it will have WiFi.

lmk

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

onimusha ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 3:52 PM

So the iPad sounds like an utter waste of time, especially if it's as difficult to type on as an iPhone.

Typical Apple smoke and mirrors garbage...

Does anyone know of any Tablet PC's or similar types of products where the pen sensitivity would be good enough for postwork or running Poser?

JenX ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 3:59 PM

I wouldn't call it a complete waste of time, just not what you're looking for.

I don't think there are any tablet PC's yet that are doing what you want.  I could be wrong (and probably am).  I know that the Wacom Cintiq is pretty good for postwork and painting, but it's not a standalone, it's a drawing tablet you hook up to your computer.  I have the HP Touchsmart, and even its' touchscreen capabilities are severely lacking.  Yes, I can paint, but I don't have the same control as I do with my Wacom tablet (FWIW, I still have a Graphire.  The original :P)

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

onimusha ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 4:04 PM

See that's what I want, a tablet PC with the same control as a Wacom.  That way I can sit in the woods or an airplane and paint with the same precision I could at home.  Since tablet PC's have been around for so long now, I figured they'd have one which had better sensitivity.  Alas...

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 4:08 PM

The Ipad is a large screen Ipod Touch.

It doesn't run regular programs, it runs Iphone apps.

the Ipad is not a computer, it is not trying to be a computer. it is a media delivery device.

think of it as a more advanced kindle.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 6:38 PM

You couldn't run Poser (or any other desktop app) in the iPad unless SM wrote code for it. Not the same Chipset or OS as their desktops and laptops. Apple also announced a special version of iWork just for the iPad today also

To answer the other question there are PC laptops you can swivel the screen around and fold down and operate like a tablet and have pin or touch screens. Saw several demo'd on a tech TV show last week and they were rather impressive.

I am an Apple freak, but in my mind when I travel (which I do a lot) this type of set-up would be the better bet with a solid state book drive. Normal keyboard for heavy report writing, etc. and tablet to draw on with customers and their designs and or watch movies or play games on a plane. iPhone and Mac Book Pro are enough. to lug around. Don't want to add another devise. 

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 8:03 PM

SM can get the necessary items as developers (somebody call them and ask them how they like it),
but they won't be doing a full version of poser for it AFAIK.  the pad is mostly for gamers, DVD
watchers, reality show enthusiasts, CNN junkies, former crackberry users, as a big PDA for
near-sighted individuals. .... hmmm, did I leave anybody out?

jobs has gone thru alotta hell since leaving berkeley.  he lost his company, had to get it back by
hook or by crook, he got pancreatic cancer, his house is falling apart and they won't let him do
anything - they keep stalling.  and his koi pond isn't even half as big as  larry's, down the street
from him.  personally I keep hoping people will think god thoughts, as there can be complications
and recurrence in certain cases, although I don't actually know any medical details, of course.

KimberlyC ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 12:34 AM

Personally, I'm interested in this. The size has me iffy. But for one I have never used an Apple. i'm unsure of all the pros and cons of the company. It could be something else in the future. I'll be keeping my eye out on it. :)

flyerx ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 2:55 AM

Attached Link: http://www.technologyreview.com/communications/24414/?ref=rss&a=f

Drawing on these types of devices as easily as it is on a pen tablet will not be feasible until pressure-sensitive screens are inexpensive and widely available. At least they are working on it (see link).

FlyerX

lkendall ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 2:13 PM

Apple can promise unending enthusiastic support for a product one day, and completely and forever abandon it the next. I bought an Apple Newton pad device because of the promise of continuing support. Apple dropped it soon thereafter.

lmk

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

Keith ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 4:00 PM

Well, the one thing iPad has clarified is that Apple apparently has few women working in its corporate headquarters in charge or product naming.  The jokes practically write themselves.

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 5:38 PM · edited Thu, 28 January 2010 at 5:39 PM

Quote - Well, the one thing iPad has clarified is that Apple apparently has few women working in its corporate headquarters in charge or product naming.  The jokes practically write themselves.

Here is a sampling of comments from Twitter:

**LizB:
**iPad. was there a woman on this naming team? will there be different sizes? Mini iPad, maxi iPad?

elahater:
Apple obviously needs some women on staff. Just so the words, "um are you sure about that, Steve?" could have been uttered.

Gelatobaby:
And you can use the giant QWERTY keyboard to get your period on the #iPad !

herbadmother:
Seriously, 'iPad?' There are too many of us for whom the phrase 'my pad just failed' evokes horror that should never be linked to technology

TimDillon:
iPad sounds like a guy with a Boston accent trying to say iPod.

TwittsMcGee:
I haven't heard this many period jokes since I was forced to watch The View last month.

kathycacace:
Okay, just one more. The iPad: protecting your data from embarrassing incidents.

lady_justice:
Did the prototype come with a belt?

Lymed:
Does the Period Tracker app come free?

fauxfruit:
If I order this, will my boyfriend and I have to worry if it comes late?

andBegorrah:
If you and your friends all buy one, will they sync up?

vlvtjones:
So will iffy Wifi coverage be called iSpotting?

babyruthless:
Mac made an iPad. It's Mac's iPad. Say it with me. Mac's iPad. Seriously? No one said the name out loud?

morninggloria:
Can I get a scented iPad for when my data feels not-so-fresh?

Mary McCarthyite:
Everyone, just try to Stay(free) calm and Poise(d). It's Always nice to see a new product on the market. I Depend on Apple to come up with great ideas. Maybe we're taking this out of Kotex.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

JenX ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 10:44 PM

OMG, those made me laugh so hard!!!  Seriously, every single one :P

Ailarchendil ( ) posted Fri, 29 January 2010 at 12:34 AM

Attached Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNQE_TzQNI

And of course there's the old MadTV skit in case anyone missed it :lol:

prixat ( ) posted Sat, 30 January 2010 at 3:23 AM

Also from twitter...

"the purpose of the iPad is to show you what the iphone would be like if you were 50% smaller"

regards
prixat

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 09 August 2010 at 2:37 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity, profanity

Ok, I'm moving this up because it's just too darn funny!  I'm addicted to "Molly" the owl and in one of their chat rooms someone asked what an iPAD was.  I can't post this video there but I will post it here!!! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs

Anthanasius ( ) posted Mon, 09 August 2010 at 3:39 AM

The better way for an ipad ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

Klebnor ( ) posted Mon, 09 August 2010 at 7:19 AM

Apple produces closed proprietary systems, both in hardware and software.

If choice is not important, then it's a great solution.

If one desires the ability to use hardware and software from all the rest of the world, then it's not so hot.

There is one special circumstance when apple products excel.  If you are purchasing technology for someone who can barely run the toaster, say your 80  year old grandmother, then it's a good choice.

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

Letterworks ( ) posted Mon, 09 August 2010 at 4:25 PM

One of the absolute greatest thing about my iPad is the ability to carry around my docs finally! I have a reader for it that reads PDF files so I've loaded on my Carrara, Poser, and Silo docs and can now carry them around and read them (reading at about the same size as a paperback novel) when I want, in bed, at the table, in a waiting room etc. I can also have them open in front of me while working in the software without flipping back and forth

Another thing I really like is that apps for my favorite magazines. 3Dcreative, 2D Artist, Digital Artist, and 3D Artist all have iPad readers. The software is low priced and includes a free sample issue and you can buy back issues and new issues for about 1/3 of the prices in the store. The only real drawback is you don;t get the attached disk, but the tutorial files are usually available on a website, even if you miss out on the freebies. But again the are all portable on a single small reader.

Barnes and Noble, Boarders, Amazon and many comicbook companies also have reader apps, and you can browse and buy thousands of books. If you have the 3G version you can do this anywhere, I have the wifi version and don;t find it much of a drawback, there is usually a wifi  available to tie into, Starbucks etc.

I'm not a big fan of Apple computers but I do find this to be a useful device.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Mon, 09 August 2010 at 4:27 PM

poser? on Ipad?

won't happen.

see they have this no nudity rule for the app store.... and you'd not believe what they've barred under that rule.

and since other than Jailbreaking and then losing your warranty there is no other way to put apps on other than the app store.....

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 09 August 2010 at 4:49 PM

I still can't see the word and not think about feminine hygiene products!!  LOL

That blenderize video was a hoot!!!

The only Apple product I own is an iPOD, and I can't say that I like it very much. It keeps losing it's iTune programming and I have to keep reformatting the darn thing.  Total waste of money.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.