Wed, Oct 9, 2:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 09 12:13 pm)

Subject: making realistic eyes...

doug_ ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2001 at 10:57 PM · edited Wed, 09 October 2024 at 2:32 PM

file_194446.jpg

hi, im trying to make realistic eyes, to give them that wet, filmy look, but i can't seem to work it out... the images i have posted have highlights on them, but im still missing something, also, i don't want to have to use a reflection map, because i would rather that the effect was dynamic rather than static. Sugestions, ???... anyone??...

douglas1 ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2001 at 11:06 PM

the highlight angle is wrong, how often is a light souce near the floor

Gawain ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2001 at 11:27 PM

You're off to a good start but I think your eyes are a little too "electric blue". Usually blue eyes are a little darker. Pupils vary in size depending on how bright lights are. Larger pupils will make the character look younger - smaller pupils tend to make them look older. Check out photos in magazines to see how highlights photograph. You might also check out texture maps from Freestuff and see how other artists have done their highlights. Hope this helps.

Gawain ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2001 at 11:39 PM

Check out the posting on first texture...bleeding lips about two down from this one for a good example of highlights on eyes.

atthisstage ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 12:13 AM

And your whites are too white. Look at your own eyes n the mirror and you'll see that the whites are actually beige.

doug_ ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 12:14 AM

this isn't a highlight on the eyes, i put another sphere between the eyeball and the eyelids, too try too simulate depth of a cornea, the highlight is coming off that secondary sphere and not the eyeball, because i wanted a depth that was not texture dependant but instead would change as figure/lightsources were moved.

doug_ ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 12:18 AM

im not worried about the texture in the slightest, this was just one that i had on hand, i just want them to have that wet , glossy, yeah glossy is a better word, feel to them, or can i only create that on a texture level with poser?...

AprilYSH ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 12:53 AM

feme01c.jpg (url in pic does not work, my new homepage is http://aprilsvanity.com) the transparent sphere thing for the highlight is the way to go as you have found... bushi3d.com has eye props for this already if you wanna see how different he did it. i have found texture level is the only reliable way, but only if you know your light source before hand... i keep my textures as psd layers so i can move highlights as i please...

[ Store | Freebies | Profile ]

a sweet disorder in the dress kindles in clothes a wantoness,
do more bewitch me than when art is too precise in every part

bloodsong ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 6:34 AM

heyas; what model are you using for eyes? this looks like one of the kozaburo (and his partner, blast, i forgot his name) p4 figures. does it have the plain eyes? you should try the high-res replacement eyes made by nerd, or those by bushi, which are built with corneas and all that to make them 'work' properly.

gsalas ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 11:46 AM

file_194447.jpg

It's all in the lighting. I always spend a large amount of time working the eyes and use spotlights up real close to get the elution. although I will defenatly say that the standard poser eye is a bit infirior if you want the realism. I have some eyes for sale on the online store you may want to consider. They have a three Layer recest iris that I find makes all of the diferance. But no matter what eyes you use, the secrate is in the reflection parameters and the lighting. This image has 2 lights specificaly for each eye, and those lights made all of the diferance.

momodot ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 2:34 PM

file_194448.jpg

Sorry to shill here, but I have cornea props up at the Market Place that reflect the lighting of a scene and give a good effect I think.

Questor ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 3:09 PM

file_194449.jpg

Well, there's Bushi's free eyes, Nerds free eyes, my free eyes or a set in the store. Hrrm... tough choice. :)

Redleaf ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 8:25 PM

Another option that I have used regularly is just to draw in suitably-placed highlights on the eyes in your images.

doug_ ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2001 at 9:39 PM

thanks for all the tips, i'll give some of the replacement eyes a try and see what happens :)... yes it is the Lin Lin model, i don't know why but i like working on it the best.. Redleaf, thanks for the advice, but i don't do post work on images... that just defeats the purpose of doing something in 3D for me.. to each their own...

ronstuff ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2001 at 12:33 PM

All good suggestions above, and here is what I do when I want something quick and cheap. Turn down the brightness of the eyes material "white" color to match you scene ambience - this reduces the "glowing eye" syndrome. Set the highlight size to much smaller than the default, and play with highlight luminosity and hue a bit to capture your ambience - granted its not nearly as good a solution as the cornea prop, but if not too close-up it works. I rarely use the default Poser settings on eyes - they all look bad, but can be improved with a little experimentation.

ronstuff ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2001 at 12:37 PM

P.S. - and yes, lighting is a key no matter what method you use, expecially in close-ups, the eyes need their own special lighting for that "perfect" touch.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.