Thu, Sep 19, 12:48 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: Vue 7 and 8 very instable

3DNeo ( ) posted Sun, 21 February 2010 at 12:18 PM

Quote - As Rutra says :)

also, Nvdia cards seem stabler than ATI, PC is much more solid than MAC.
See my tutorial in signature on import optimization as they can take an assload of resources.

Totally disagree that PC is much more solid than a Mac.

I have been using Vue on a 2008 Mac Pro since Vue 7 and although I duel-boot into Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit for heavy scenes, most of my work is done fully inside the Mac OS. I can tell you that I have had very little problems at all with any major crashes with Vue 7 or 8 on the Mac and it has been stable in that regard. Right now, there are some things different between the Mac and PC version, but once the 64 bit Vue 8 is released which they are working on it will be a moot point.

I would advise looking at the threads here as suggested and seeing if anything helps. Also, while nVidia seems to be more common, I know at least two people using ATI 2890 graphic cards with no issues.

Jeff

Development on: Mac Pro 2008, Duel-Boot OS - Snow Leopard 10.6.6 & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon , 10GB 800 MHz DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT.

3DNeo ( ) posted Sun, 21 February 2010 at 12:23 PM

Quote -
No one who has succeeded with ATI card?

?

Sure they have, as I noted in my prior post I know two people using ATI 2890 cards and no major issues. Except of course for the software bugs which they keep working on during the year.

Jeff

Development on: Mac Pro 2008, Duel-Boot OS - Snow Leopard 10.6.6 & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon , 10GB 800 MHz DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 21 February 2010 at 3:42 PM

Quote - I just compared the 1st 10 pages of Vue and Bryce galleries. The oldest image in Vue gallery was from February 9, 2010 4:00, the oldest image in Bryce gallery was from February 9, 2010 5:20. So, the difference in posted images is very, very small.

Also, I think a lot of Vue users don't necessarily lable their gallery uploads as being from Vue.  Whereas Bryce users (in general) always labels their uploads as coming from Bryce.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 21 February 2010 at 3:46 PM

Quote - No one who has succeeded with ATI card?

ATI AGP Radeon X1650 512MB.  Works just fine in Vue 8 Infinite 47776 with WinXP32.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 21 February 2010 at 3:57 PM

Quote - The configuration file is environment.xml

"C:Users-username-AppDataRoaminge-on softwareVue 8 xStreamConfigenvironment.xml"

Thank you very much for that, gillbrooks and vintorix!  OpenGL redraws are much faster now.  The clouds come right up in my main camera view of the sky.  I used to have to sit and wait for them to generate.  How was this setting discovered?

silverblade33 ( ) posted Sun, 21 February 2010 at 3:59 PM

wasn't me, learned it from someone else. Wabe?? :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

vintorix ( ) posted Sun, 21 February 2010 at 4:14 PM · edited Sun, 21 February 2010 at 4:14 PM

"How was this setting discovered?"

Neither Google nor Cornucopia3D yelded any results but in a Renderosity forum search someone mentioned Vue.run. Via Vue.run I found the config folder then I did a search of the value I knew I had for my videocard setting. Just ordinary vulcan logic, ;)

FalseBogus ( ) posted Mon, 22 February 2010 at 6:36 AM

Radeon 5850 here. Opengl 2.1 shader4 in use with no extraordinary problems ;)

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 22 February 2010 at 5:45 PM

Vue 8.4 allows editing the video memory limit from the options menu now.  At least in WinXP32.

cyberknight1133 ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2010 at 9:12 AM

As far as ATI cards go, I started years ago with a free version of Vue 3.5, got 5 inf,, 6 inf. and just upgraded to Vue 8 Inf. During that time I've used:
9700 pro
9800xt
850xt PE
1950xt
So far, up to Vue 6 I've had one graphics related issue that involved one specific driver. Vue 8 is giving me a bit of a slow response (at least with the one render I've worked on so far). However considering that -a) It's originally a Vue 6 file, so it could be simply an import issue.
b) I'm still using XP pro 32 bit. Not only am I limited by the 2G address limitation, but also by older software.
c) it's a relatively new card and I haven't gotten around to updating drivers yet.- I really can't complain.
As far as Vue issues go, I agree with Rutra. You have to spend some time optimizing your computer. While I don't have a computer dedicated to CG, I placed a shortcut on my quicklaunch bar to disable my internet connection and I have anitvirus software that can be disabled. When I'm working in any graphics program, my internet and my antivirus are turned off. My system visual effects are set up as"adjust windows for maximum performance." I'm also pretty fanatical about crap that runs in the background unnecessarily. My systems tray has nothing outside of my time/ date icons except my antivirus - and that's off when I'm working on CG. If you take a quick peek at my gallery, you'll see I use a whole heck of a lot of poser imports in my renders and I rarely, if ever have major issues. And anybody whose uses the Vue/Poser combination can tell you that poser imports are resource pigs. And with one exception, I've used whatever gianormous texture maps that Poser used, rather than reducing the file size as is usually done.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.