Fri, Sep 20, 12:55 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: LuxRender - looks interesting

cspear ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2010 at 11:35 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 12:55 AM

LuxRender*  - is a physically based and unbiased rendering engine. Based on state of the art algorithms, LuxRender simulates the flow of light according to physical equations, thus producing realistic images of photographic quality.**LuxRender is free software - both for personal and commercial use - and is licensed under the GPL. The program runs on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Fully functional exporters are available for Blender and Maya, while exporters for a growing number of 3d applications are under development.

I wonder if a Poser exporter could be built for this in Python? Way beyond my abilities - I've no idea what would be involved.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2010 at 11:37 AM

should be possible.... the trick is getting someone to do it :(

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2010 at 12:26 PM

A 'green' incentive might motivate someone.

jartz ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2010 at 12:39 PM

Quote - A 'green' incentive might motivate someone.

I agree

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus N50-600 - Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz · Windows 10 Home/11 upgrade 64-bit · 16GB DDR4 RAM · 1TB SSD and 1TB HDD; Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 - 6GB GDDR5 VRAM; Software: Poser Pro 11x

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2010 at 12:46 PM

wonder if the chap who's making poseray could add it.. (he's added Kerkythea in the last beta....)

FrankT ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2010 at 1:50 PM

I've used Lux with Blender.  If you want to use it, be prepared for extremely long render times.  Each version gets a bit faster but all render engines of that type are slow.  60 or 70 hr renders are not unusual but the result will be beautiful

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2010 at 1:52 PM · edited Wed, 24 February 2010 at 1:54 PM

Attached Link: http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/index.php?title=Luxrender_and_OpenCL

there's hope on improving the render speeds tho... they're working on a OpenCL version that will use the GPU for rendering.... having tried out Octane Render and seeing how fast a GPU render engine can be, I'm looking forward to it :)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2010 at 1:57 PM

Very interesting. I loaded the included test scene and rendered on my craptop for an hour. It looked very good.

I now doubled the dimensions to 1600x1000 and am rendering it again.

Anybody want to help me skip reading the docs and tell me how to save the render? 

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

FrankT ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2010 at 2:08 PM · edited Wed, 24 February 2010 at 2:12 PM

from memory, you have to copy the render to the clipboard.  I'll just fire up blender a second and have a look.  There's a button just to the right of the thread + and - buttons which copies the active render to the clipboard.

If you look under the LOG tab, it also writes out a tone mapped image every few seconds and it should tell you where that is written - you can pull the image from there as well

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2010 at 2:57 PM

file_448594.jpg

Thanks - copy and paste - no postwork.

This is 1600x1000, cooked for exactly one hour, 50 samples per pixel. Still a little grainy in places, but cooking it for another 3 hours should fix it.

Very impressive.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

jartz ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2010 at 3:53 PM

Wow, BB, very impressive and you used the LuxRender?

I like to try that out and see for myself, it'd be nice if there were plug-ins for Poser, and also SketchUp.

I'm impressed.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus N50-600 - Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz · Windows 10 Home/11 upgrade 64-bit · 16GB DDR4 RAM · 1TB SSD and 1TB HDD; Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 - 6GB GDDR5 VRAM; Software: Poser Pro 11x

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2010 at 4:22 PM

Attached Link: http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=35

there is one for SU... still very rough tho...

jartz ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2010 at 5:08 PM

Thanks Kaibach for the info.

flyerx ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2010 at 12:49 AM

This is one of the many physically based ray tracing programs that are available. I will take a look at the developer documents and see if an exporter for PoseRay is feasible.  The one for Kerkythea was very easy but it was the geometry and materials only. LuxRender may require the camera and lights too.

FlyerX

lmckenzie ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2010 at 3:09 AM

FlyerX, is the PoseRay 2 Kerkythea pipeline done or will you be adding any new features? 

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

flyerx ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2010 at 5:03 AM

The Kerkythea exporter is done in the current version I am working on. This version is not yet available at the my site.

It takes me a long time to update PoseRay so I will soon upload the version I have as a beta to keep the latest changes available to everyone.

FlyerX

FrankT ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2010 at 3:53 PM

Materials in Lux are nothing like Poser ones.  If you think the Poser material room is scary, you should see the Lux exporter in Blender.  I seem to remember reading on their website that the materials are physically accurate but I could be wrong
(Yay for BRDFs >.<)

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 26 February 2010 at 3:23 AM

*"I will soon upload the version I have as a beta to keep the latest changes available to everyone." *

That's great news! I love PoseRay and try to spread the word of its goodness whenever possible.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Medzinatar ( ) posted Sun, 28 February 2010 at 5:53 PM

I hear about Luxrender here and like to try it out.
Is not being a day at beach let me tell you!
First gotcha is vertices in different order, I was think to cut/paste obj and add some of Lex specific lines, but no.

Transparency mapping is unique.  Depending on what layer of shader using, you can have either white or black for see through.

To make camera position from Poser is difficult, because poser don't have target point, just angles and XYZ.  Maybe they have such a point because some cameras have different axis to rotate, but I can't find it.  So have to fabricate a "point of interest" for their "LookAt" statement.

Maybe there is way to translate poser shader to Lux, but I have not such talent. Actually would be waste of time because Lux has much power to tap and should not limit yourself to only what poser can do.

For own purpose, best way is making into scene file with barebones reference to textures and build own shaders in Lux.

Hopefully, this picture link work and I show sample for two hours render on ancient PC.

img638.imageshack.us/img638/479/luxpushpa.jpg

fls13 ( ) posted Sun, 28 February 2010 at 6:25 PM

Quote - This is one of the many physically based ray tracing programs that are available. I will take a look at the developer documents and see if an exporter for PoseRay is feasible.  The one for Kerkythea was very easy but it was the geometry and materials only. LuxRender may require the camera and lights too.

FlyerX

I certainly prefer Povray to Kerkythea. Getting Poser scenes fairly quick and easy into Vray is the path to look at if you're a Python script geek. I'm able to do it through Blender and Vray is top drawer, but there are still some limits.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 3:21 PM

Attached Link: Sunflow

So many renderers, so little time. Sunflow looks interesting and like Kerkythea has instancing which is a cool feature. Since the latter already supports MLT, I'm not that excited about another glacial "accurate" engine. Targeting 3Delight would  seem rather superfluous with Daz Studio around. Ah well, whatever works though I would personally vote for free renderers.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 12:09 AM

the more the merrier!

each render engine has it's own 'fingerprint' which makes it fun to run the same scene through each...

dorkmcgork ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 1:57 PM

neat scene baggins, love the surrealism of the objs

go that way really fast.
if something gets in your way
turn

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 2:52 PM

Quote -  neat scene baggins, love the surrealism of the objs

Just to be clear, it isn't my scene. It came with LuxRender. I just loaded it and pushed render.

ima70 ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 3:26 PM

You can export from Poser or Daz Studio (this last one easyer because it export Transmaps as well) then import it into Blender 3D then use it's great integration with Luxrender by LuxBlend plugin or use Faster yafray.

wespose ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2010 at 6:30 PM

Ive found that Lux Is awesome for Architectural scenes as of right now..version 0.7 should have SSS which will expand its use to organic realism and character work....pose and export from poser - imort into blender , light, shade, apply Lux materials and render with Luxblend. I cant wait to see some of your renders , this is a subject Ive been excited about for quite some time now!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.