Sat, Sep 21, 2:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: FE is going into fits - any help welcome..

DreamersWish ( ) posted Tue, 16 March 2010 at 10:19 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 2:34 PM

I have been using FE for almost eight years and I have never had this much difficulty out of it.  I am just wondering if anyone else is having these problems.  Lately when I am using FE, it blinks out comes back on and then will not allow me to save any image currently showing.  It keeps giving me these messages that show up and then multiply.  If I am wanting to change the color, it gives me a message and will not go away until I close the color palette.  These are just a few problems I have had lately.  I am wondering if it has to with how many images I have on screen, any software running, or if maybe there is a FE bug out there.  Any suggestions?  Thank you before hand and have a good day!

Beth

peedy ( ) posted Wed, 17 March 2010 at 1:18 AM

I had the multiple error just yesterday.
I thought it was because I had too many images open, yes.
It only went away after I closed FE.

Corrie

Rerewhakaaitu ( ) posted Mon, 29 March 2010 at 11:23 PM

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier.

There are quite a few bugs in FE, and one can be what you describe, But a lot depends on the FE version, and which Windows version you are running. The multiple open windows problem isn't uncommon. It seems to be related to the amount of RAM you have. It uses a lot of memory. This is more pronounced in the later Windows versions: XP and later, and could also be exacerbated by RAM load from virus checkers and other apps. Increasing the pagefile allocation can help a bit, but hardware RAM increase helps more. (to increase pagefile allocation: Start; System; Advanced). Processor speed may or may not to be a factor.

One fix that I know about and have used, is something that doesn't seem to make sense. If FE stops working properly, n any of a number of ways,  including freezing up, you can fix it by deleting the FE folder altogether and then reinstalling everything. Simply make a new folder and unzip everything into it, including the landcape libraries and compiler. I'm a beta tester from way back, and nobody was able to work out just why this happened. But I do know it works.

As far as I know there will be no new versions of FE. The Ukranian authors of the programme have disappeared. The source file is around. I know at least one person who has it.

Well, I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

merren

peedy ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2010 at 12:12 AM

Thanks for that!
In my case it will probably be the RAM issue.
I am more caredful with multiple windows now.
Iopeno, let's say 10 windows; check those and work from there.
Works great for me.
No more frezing up.

Corrie

Jennyfnf ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2010 at 1:31 AM

I too have only just seen your query.  I know FE is sometimes unstable. It has to be nursed along.  I only ever have one window open - the one I am working on.  If I see anything that looks good I simply save it in a folder in my current month's images.  Quite often if you ctrl alt delete and open the task manager you may find you are running a couple of FE's as one has not shut down properly.  Simply delete one. It works for me. A brilliant thing about FE is that if it does go haywire, it will save the last image you were working on. Just be gentle and all should be well.
If you are working with ten windows open FE is performing fine:-)

kallikru ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2010 at 4:14 AM

I think merren covered it quite well. The only thing I will add is that version 2.03b2 seems to me to be the most stable and fastest version.

Kalli

Rerewhakaaitu ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2010 at 4:56 AM

Yay Kal darlin' That's what I also find. Agreement after all these years lol. It's great.

mer

dochtersions ( ) posted Sun, 04 April 2010 at 3:17 PM

Hello Kalli and other friends,

I have the same problems with FE. (multiple error-windows)
Can somebody tell me were I can find that version 2.03b2  ?
Thank you, and greetz,
Mies.

Rerewhakaaitu ( ) posted Sun, 04 April 2010 at 5:02 PM

Send me your email address and I can send you any version you want. I think I have them all.

love
merren

ps The multiple window problem is, as far as I know,  common to all workable versions. Save anything you think you might need.

Rerewhakaaitu ( ) posted Sun, 04 April 2010 at 5:36 PM

Beth. Hi

I just read your post thoroughly. You are having a problem that is totally different from the ones we have been takling about. The multiple ERROR messages (as opposed to the multiple windows opening),  is easy to fix.

It's version dependent. The earlier versions were very prone to this for me. Not everybody seemed to get it but I certainly did. The darned thing would just keep on opening more and more errors, drowning everything.

Again, try changing the version to FE 203.b3, or 200b3, which is the one I use most, and there's a palette compatipility issue between 200 and 203. Neither has thrown up this error problem to me.

merren

peedy ( ) posted Mon, 05 April 2010 at 12:10 AM

I have version 202 and I did get that error message.
I haven't had it since I use less open windows. :-)

Corrie

Rerewhakaaitu ( ) posted Mon, 05 April 2010 at 9:21 PM

You're right, Corrie I did get them on 2.02, but I'e installed more RAM since then, and have also found the later versions more stable. I've also installed a RAM optimiser, so I can keep an eye on what's happening. It's a great help.

merren

peedy ( ) posted Tue, 06 April 2010 at 12:00 AM

I bet it is.
I am hoping to get a new computer, next month.
With a lot more RAM.
Hopefully that will help for me, too. :-)

Corrie

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.