Wed, Sep 25, 2:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: I could really use an animated mushroom cloud.

hobepaintball ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2010 at 7:41 AM · edited Wed, 25 September 2024 at 2:24 AM

textured or untextured either way, or a good plan on how to do that myself. vue 8.4 inf

thundering1 ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2010 at 4:10 PM

It's one of the holy grails of 3D-dom... No kidding.

CGSociety (cgtalk.com) just had an FX Wars on that very subject because it IS that hard to do well.
I wish i could be more inspiring, sorry

I would suggest trying to use MetaClouds grouped (LOTS of them), forming the cloud. Maybe you could animate them by "groups" to suggest the build and size, etc.

Good luck-

-Lew

hobepaintball ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2010 at 6:53 PM

Great idea Lew. Could actually be fun. It could also be hard. I purchased a Vue product called cloud control that I have never tried. This may be just the thing.

thundering1 ( ) posted Tue, 30 March 2010 at 7:47 PM

That actually sounds promising! Post it on youtube and send out the link when you give it a shot!
Good luck!
-Lew ;-)

eonite ( ) posted Wed, 31 March 2010 at 9:40 AM

Hobepaintball: CloudControl does not directly explain how to create towering cumulus clouds, however there is a lot of information on cloud layers generally.

In the CloudScapes Collection#1 there is an example of a towering cumulus, although it`s not explained how to build one yourself.

So, when I find some time I will try to make a brief tutorial on how to create towering cumulus clouds and will post it in the "Vue Clouds" thread. Might take some time. In the meantime, the more you know about cloud layers and functions, the easier it will be to follow.

As Lew said, it`s also possible to use Metaclouds. However, as far as I can judge, you might get better results using cloud layers instead.

http://www.eonmusic.ch http://www.artmatica.ch

Cherryman ( ) posted Thu, 01 April 2010 at 12:08 PM

I tried it a few times... And it's very hard..

I never finished this one:

It's animated metaclouds ,i don't like  the end myself.

Just take one cloud at the time, i find it is not the amount of clouds (in the above only three) but it's the lighting that makes the difference.  (Although that also depends on the scene and shot)

eonite ( ) posted Thu, 01 April 2010 at 12:27 PM

Awesome! The way you lit the smoke clouds is stunning. And the the expanding waves near the ground greatly add to the explosion`s credibility. Cool :-)

http://www.eonmusic.ch http://www.artmatica.ch

Cherryman ( ) posted Thu, 01 April 2010 at 4:55 PM

Tnx. 

I played a little more with it, can't figure out how to animate the bottom cloud to get the "roll" effect..

Did had fun adding a little three

hobepaintball ( ) posted Thu, 01 April 2010 at 6:13 PM

WOW, That is a great effect. The result may not have pleased you but I am very impressed. We are always our own harshest critic. It may not be good enough for HERO status, but as a background effect you are already golden.

hobepaintball ( ) posted Thu, 01 April 2010 at 6:15 PM

Eonite, Yes education is the key. I've not enough knowledge about clouds in general, but i have 3 Vue books and lots of Video tutorials, so Clounds are next up in the need to learn category

Cherryman ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2010 at 4:08 AM

Just remember to tab/click the little cloud on the light property screen, otherwise youre lights will not influence the clouds

Cherryman ( ) posted Sat, 03 April 2010 at 11:55 AM

file_450600.txt

Well..  it addicting ..Just fiddling around in de preview  

For those wanna play:  change .txt into .vue , an easter gift  ;-)

hobepaintball ( ) posted Sat, 03 April 2010 at 5:44 PM

Cherryman. I have put this in my basket and will eat it in the morning. Thank you from all of us

hobepaintball ( ) posted Sat, 10 April 2010 at 10:22 AM

Cherryman, that was great. Just what I was looking for for a headstart. I rendered it out and let it run. I didn't understand why it took 30 hours (I wasn't home) until i saw i forgot to change the dimensions from 22 inches x 18 inches from my last project. Needless to say media player played it a little choppy. re-rendered it at 640x480, took 15 minutes at broadcast. Now I can see what I like and what to modify. 
Thanks for giving me this headstart, I still have mnuch to learn about clouds in Vue8 inf, but this will help. 

Cherryman ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2010 at 2:08 PM

hobe, nice to be of assistance. 

I would love to see youre finished render. Please share when you have finished

Good luck.

peregrino05 ( ) posted Wed, 14 April 2010 at 4:52 PM

Quote - Tnx. 

I played a little more with it, can't figure out how to animate the bottom cloud to get the "roll" effect..

Did had fun adding a little three

can do a little tutorial for us?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.