Fri, Sep 20, 4:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Why am I not getting a shadow under the brim of a hat?

Michaelab ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2010 at 12:29 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 4:37 AM

file_453769.jpg

I have a hat on a character and yes, the hat has shadows turned on, however when I render the image I get a brightness under the brim as attached. Is there a way of getting rid of the brightness under the brim of the hat?

Winterclaw ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2010 at 1:06 AM · edited Tue, 01 June 2010 at 1:06 AM

First of all, what is your lighting set up and shadow settings?  If the only light is coming head on, then you aren't going to get any shadows down there.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

Winterclaw ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2010 at 1:11 AM

file_453771.jpg

This is with full raytraced shadows and an infinite light pointing mostly down.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

Michaelab ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2010 at 1:18 AM

Thanks Winterclaw, do you have a screen shot of your lighting setup and shadow settings you could show me? Looks like you've got what I'm looking for.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2010 at 1:43 AM

You say the hat has shadows turned on, but did you remember to turn them on in the Render Settings and on the Lights? That's three places to look at when turning on shadows. Prop + Lights + Render Settings.

Michaelab ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2010 at 10:42 AM

Thanks, I think it was the turning on of the RayTracing that did the trick and making sure all the lights had their shadows turned on. Thanks Lost and Winter!

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2010 at 12:38 PM

Yeah if you have Ray Traced Shadows set on the lights you must have Ray Tracing turned on as well. Glad we could help.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2010 at 12:48 PM

Depending on your scene, you do not need all your lights with shadow on.  For example, if you are setting a scene with a daytime sun, 1 infinite with shadows is enough.  If there is a fill light available, no shadows is needed.  An interior scene with multiple lights may require all the lights to have shadows active.  Again, fill lighting would require this.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2010 at 1:29 PM

And don't forget, gang...

Depth mapped shadows are useless. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2010 at 1:49 PM

Quote - And don't forget, gang...

Depth mapped shadows are useless. 

Ruh Roh! Don't go making people feel bad for using them or we'll have another GC meltdown. LOL!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.