Mon, Oct 7, 6:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:30 am)

Subject: Car windshields: anyone know of shaders for them?

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Sat, 12 June 2010 at 3:05 AM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 6:28 AM

file_454354.jpg

I've tried several glass shaders but can't seem to get a realistic look. Most of the time they come out filmy and not very reflective. Included a quick image showing how the render turned out. I'm using Poser 7.

templargfx ( ) posted Sat, 12 June 2010 at 4:20 AM

just add a reflection node into the reflection color and an edge blend into the reflection value. set the attenuation to 1.2.
set transperancy to 1 and transperancy edge to 0.

with some car models I find that poly smoothing screws up reflections, to fix it I seperate the windshield with the group editor

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

167 Car Materials for Poser

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 12 June 2010 at 5:43 AM

There's also BB's thread on Fresnel effects. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

IsaoShi ( ) posted Sat, 12 June 2010 at 6:07 AM

file_454356.jpg

Yes, try to find bagginsbill's reflection threads for full information.

For starters, you could use simple transparency and reflection, like this.
You can give the glass a coloured tint by adjusting the diffuse colour (but keep it dark).
Make sure you turn off Reflection_Lite_Mult and Reflection_Kd_Mult.
I'm using bb's EnvSphere for background & something to reflect.

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 12 June 2010 at 6:22 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2803896

The link to BB's Fresnel info can be found in the linked thread shown here. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

cspear ( ) posted Sat, 12 June 2010 at 7:18 AM

If you download BB's 'BazzeMatts#2' from here, the zip file contains a Canopy Glass shader... I use this, or adapted versions of it, with great success. It's not a render hog.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Sat, 12 June 2010 at 12:03 PM

Thanks for all of your help. I think the main problem with this is that the reflections would come from far away (I'm only using Willys MB Jeep and Terradome). I don't know much about how distance would affect the reflection strength. I'm going to keep at it. Thanks again for your responses.  

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Sat, 12 June 2010 at 7:28 PM

file_454375.jpg

Almost, but still not there.

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 1:29 AM

file_454413.jpg

Basic reflection settings but different jeep model. Strange?

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 4:12 AM

file_454414.jpg

I think I've got it. I replaced the glass area with the Poser square prop and it seems better.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 9:30 AM

Hmm... the windscreen in the first of those last three renders appears to be reflecting the terrain, in spite of the angle. Sounds like weird geometry, perhaps related to polygon smoothing. 

I've seen this sort of thing before. I once had a perfectly flat table top (a freebie) producing angled and contorted reflections, even with smoothing turned off for the table. The only way I could fix my render was by laying a square prop immediately above the table surface with the same material.

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Mon, 14 June 2010 at 6:22 PM

IsaoShi, Thanks for the reply. I think you're right about the geometry. I like the jeep model and wanted to give it a little more impact when I render. Also to the creator of the Willys MB Jeep, just wanted to let you know I'm in no way criticizing your jeep (I like your work very much) and that the changes made are for my personal use.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.