Wed, Oct 23, 12:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 4:45 pm)

Subject: grrrrr....cloth room broken!

stimuli ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 3:52 PM · edited Wed, 23 October 2024 at 12:35 AM

In the last few years I've converted many many props and figures in Poser's cloth room to dynamic cloth for use in animation and while it has a few strange "quirks" now and then (like not selecting any vertices if you drag the box too large) its usually pretty reliable.

Now Ive run into a new problem that makes the cloth room completely unusable for me.

For some reason after I clothify an object, when I attempt to edit the dynamic groups by drag-boxing over vertices....nothing happens. No vertices get selected no matter how large the box is....even if I zoom in and only try to select ONE vertex. This happens when trying to add OR subtract vertices from any of the groups (dynamic, constrained, choreographed etc.)
Clicking the "add all" or "remove all" buttons works just fine.....ALL the vertices get added or subtracted but obviously its rare that you will want ALL of your dynamic object to belong to a single group.

Ive tried clothifying several props and figures in both Poser 6 and 7 but its the same thing in both versions....I cant select vertices.
Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening? Im hoping its something stupid I've just forgotten since I last used the cloth room.

I swear I've had so many problems with Poser since I switched to an ATI graphics card but I dont see how my gfx card would have any effect on the cloth room.

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 3:55 PM

Sometimes I get this when the camera is zoomed in too close - just to rule it out you might try zooming the camera way back and see if you can get anything selected.

My Freebies

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 4:04 PM

It's not just you. It happens to me as well, and I have an Nvidia card ;o).

Laurie

stimuli ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 4:05 PM

gave that a try. still cant select anything =(
actually im glad that wasnt the issue cuz editing dynamic groups from waaaaay back would be horribly dificult lol

stimuli ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 4:07 PM

Quote - It's not just you. It happens to me as well, and I have an Nvidia card ;o).

Laurie

the exact same issue happens to you? does it go away?

its nice to know its not the card but then....whats causing it? I cant see animating in poser without the use of dynamic cloth.

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 4:08 PM

Huh, that's weird.  Might try power off/on unless Laurie has a more specific answer.

My Freebies

markschum ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 4:10 PM · edited Sat, 26 June 2010 at 4:11 PM

try switching to sreed rather than opengl and see if that makes a difference. 

check that the group editor is set to +

stimuli ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 4:18 PM · edited Sat, 26 June 2010 at 4:19 PM

Quote - try switching to sreed rather than opengl and see if that makes a difference. 

check that the group editor is set to +

woah nice call mark! I switched to sreed and it worked! I can select verts now =)

....which brings us back to the ATI card. with my old geforce card I could keep openGL on all the time (for faster posing ) and never had any issues. apparently the ATI card doesnt work well with poser in openGL mode because it wont let me select vertices AND it wont let me compile a preview animation without massive memory usage and eventually crashing (as posted in another thread).

I dont think Ill be buyng ATI anymore =/

but thank you mark for figuring this out! you da man!

markschum ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 6:26 PM

was worth a try, I know I had problems getting an ati card to even install. Its worth a report to smith-micro though. 

How up-to-date are your card drivers ?

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 8:48 PM

I've had nothing but trouble with Poser and ATI cards (except that I just got a nice, slightly used-and-therefore-very-cheap laptop .. with an ATI card. I'd sworn never to get close to one of those again, but to my surprise, Poser has so far behaved nicely with it.

I've occasionally had somewhat the problem you have, and that's with my nVidia card - I've found that making sure the bounding box starts INSIDE the object helps. It's inconvenient but at least that way I can select SOMETHING...

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 9:05 PM

Whoa...thanks a bunch markschum ;o). That did the trick. It didn't occur to me that I started having that problem after I switched from Sreed to OpenGL...lol.

Laurie

markschum ( ) posted Sat, 26 June 2010 at 10:56 PM

markschum , master of the fairly obvious ;)

It should be reported to smith-micro, they should be able to do better in detecting a non-working opengl.

there are a couple of opengl diagnostics available but its hard to work out what exactly Poser is looking for.

Marque ( ) posted Sun, 27 June 2010 at 8:22 AM

Not to slam any company but I stopped buying ATI years ago when I paid over $400 for a card that had major problems and not only did they not give us a fix for it but blatenly ignored us. Just put out a new card. Ended up chucking that card and have gone Nvidia ever since. The only ATI cards i use are if the laptop I'm buying has so many other perks that I'm willing to put up with the ATI in it.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 27 June 2010 at 12:50 PM · edited Sun, 27 June 2010 at 12:51 PM
Site Admin

Switching to a nvidia card doesn't help in this matter. I tried that and still have to watch if i have to set to opengl and screed.

edited: actually I think my problem started when i upgraded to p8, but I have the problem in p7 too, so unless they share some file that p8 over wrote who knows.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.