Mon, Oct 21, 11:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Imports triangulate, problem texturing

Xpleet ( ) posted Wed, 30 June 2010 at 10:50 AM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 11:18 PM

Dear folks,

I've tried obj import that i can import and export freely within c4d and it won't triangulate but as soon as I import it into vue 8 it'll triangulate and that causes my textures to create ugly diagonals so makes it quite impossible to texture them decently. It'll even triangulate imported cubes.

How can I fix this?

Thank you very much

kind regards,

Paul

Rich_Potter ( ) posted Wed, 30 June 2010 at 11:07 AM

the best way i found, from lightwave exports, is to triangulate in c4d first then map the texture to that.

vue will ALWAYS triangulate objects imported in.

Another solution is to open the "edit object" menu (double click on the object, right click on the object and select from menu) and then turn off and on smoothing, this sometimes helps, but not always.

Hope this helps.

Rich

http://blog.richard-potter.co.uk

Xpleet ( ) posted Wed, 30 June 2010 at 11:45 AM

Nope doesnt help.
This is pretty devastating for what I'm trying to do here.

Here is a comparison:

On the left is a sphere created inside Vue. On the right you see a .3ds sphere imported and triangulated upon import. Both textures are the same and applied over the whole sphere (a procedural created inside vue) and applied inside Vue 8. The problem persists if smoothing the object is turned off.
I can even send you this scene if you wish.

Now I can't do what I looked so forward to doing - importing simple models and texturing them in Vue using Vue's own textures :(

kind regards,

Paul

R.P.Studios ( ) posted Wed, 30 June 2010 at 1:40 PM

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.

Xpleet ( ) posted Wed, 30 June 2010 at 1:42 PM

UPDATE:

Using DYNAMIC SUBDIVISION on foreign objects in Vue seems to get rid of the problem!

This is solved for the time being!!

Xpleet ( ) posted Wed, 30 June 2010 at 1:57 PM

Nope, nothing is solved.

This is +4 quality subdivision, smoothed mesh and this is the endresult of texturing a foreign spherical object. I really think a program as advanced as Vue should do better. There must be a way.

Just look at what Vue does to my basic sphere exported from C4D. See those diagonal lines and shadows? Those are artifacts from the artificial triangles vue imposes over imported objects.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Thu, 01 July 2010 at 3:37 AM
  1. Smooth the mesh first before you export to Vue.

2. what kind of mapping are you using for the imported object (world, parametric, automatic, etc)?  For some Vue materials it is much easier if the object is UV mapped first before exporting, which means using OBJ format instead of 3DS.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.