Sat, Oct 5, 8:18 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:12 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: What are you working on thread

MidnightCarnival ( ) posted Fri, 18 June 2010 at 7:24 PM

That's cool, Shawn. Maybe a futuristic zepplin?

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 18 June 2010 at 10:27 PM · edited Fri, 18 June 2010 at 10:29 PM

file_454625.jpg

Thanks.

Yep.  I still want to added smoke stacks though for some reason.  Maybe whale spout kind of holes on the top.  I want it to have the appearance of having futuristic sleakness, yet involve some danger with climbing onboard the thing.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

MidnightCarnival ( ) posted Fri, 18 June 2010 at 11:08 PM

Sorta Steam-Punkish. That's cool. I'm having a hard time coming with ideas of things to create. I keep practicing arms, torsos and cartoon faces over and over again. Think I might attempt a cartoony baby dragon next. =D

ZIKEO ( ) posted Sat, 19 June 2010 at 5:20 AM

file_454633.jpg

Nice work Guys.

Finished the Lancia on Tuesday and managed to get a reasonable render on Thursday.
It's only now that I've had time to sit down and get on the Net.
Check my Gallery for full version.

*http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=ZIKEO

Z*

ANGER. IS THE BEAST WITHIN.

MidnightCarnival ( ) posted Sat, 19 June 2010 at 6:38 AM

Zikeo, checked your portfolio, you really kick butt with this stuff.

Do you do this for a living?

ZIKEO ( ) posted Sat, 19 June 2010 at 12:18 PM

file_454646.jpg

Hi Midnight. Just a Hobby Guy Man. Can't help myself, must keep doing something.

I don't know whether it was you or I heard about Sculptris elsewere, but I thought I would give it a go.
I had a go with a Zbrush Demo a while ago and got knowere.
4 hours on Carrara, Sculptrise, Carrara. Bingo.
Modelled a base Guy in Carrara, subdivided him, imported into Sculptris, had a play and exported as OBJ back to Carrara.
The Results.
A reasonable start to sculping?

ZIKEO ( ) posted Sat, 19 June 2010 at 12:19 PM

file_454647.jpg

And painted.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Sat, 19 June 2010 at 12:19 PM

file_454648.jpg

And Carrara render.

MidnightCarnival ( ) posted Sat, 19 June 2010 at 2:49 PM

Crap, man! That is fantastic!

Sculptris is good stuff - I make cool looking things on accident with it but feel I'm getting a better education doing most of it the hard way in Mod Tools. LOL.

Idealistically, though, since I'm not doing this stuff proffesionally, Sculptris is all I really ever need when it comes right down to it. 

I'm using the other modelers for the challenge of learning something new and also the notion that it could pay off if I were ever employed by a Pre-Press shop or Web Studio.

I'm still faaar away from doing something THAT good yet though. He reminds me a little bit of Ultraman. =D

Here's something I just started on. It was originally going to be the base body for a baby dragon but I'm wondering if just simply leaving it mostly as it is and turning it into a white blobby angel with a Smoo face.

Going to have to Sculptris the wings. Not quite sure how to get a realistic organic detail with a poly modeler just yet. 

ZIKEO ( ) posted Sat, 19 June 2010 at 3:45 PM

file_454655.jpg

Hi There Man. I'm of the opinion. Stick with one application and get the tools available to you sorted in your mind. Spend time on your modelling and don't rush. The speed of your modelling skill will increase with practice. I generally only use Extrude, Scale, Distort and Move when I'm poly modelling. This Sculpting thing is a very New concept to me. I found Zbrush a nightmare and Carrara displacement painting a Pain. Sculptris has brought a whole new user friendly feel to the subject. :) I'm now thinking of how some other guys use Zbrush for hard suface modeling and wondering whether I can do something similar with Sculptris? Good luck with your latest. ;) Z

Becco_UK ( ) posted Sat, 19 June 2010 at 4:16 PM

file_454658.jpg

**ShawnDriscoll**: Your 'airship' sort of reminds me of the airship from the old Thunderbird 6 film.

My liquid oxygen truck project is more or less finished at the 3d stage. I have enough enough info' for a real one to now be made.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 19 June 2010 at 4:44 PM

I have that T6 DVD.  I should take a look again.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 9:03 PM

I'm watching the movie now.  So far, they hate my idea.  :)

Becco_UK ( ) posted Mon, 21 June 2010 at 4:28 AM

ShawnDriscoll: The TB6 anti-gravity engined airship looks nice when it's travelling over the ocean.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 21 June 2010 at 2:56 PM

Quote - ShawnDriscoll: The TB6 anti-gravity engined airship looks nice when it's travelling over the ocean.

Yes, the 21st Century people did great water scenes in their shows.  But did you see the damage that airship caused to the missile base?  Man, that was insane.  And I thought Journey to the Far Side of the Sun had an epic disaster scene.

Dann-O ( ) posted Mon, 21 June 2010 at 4:05 PM

file_454762.JPG

Zikeonice sculptress work i am not sure of how to fit it into my pipeline. (the results are not rigging friendly. )

I started another car got a new technique or two to use on it trying some new things.

The wit of a misplaced ex-patriot.
I cheated on my metaphysics exam by looking into the soul of the person next to me.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Mon, 21 June 2010 at 5:31 PM · edited Mon, 21 June 2010 at 5:32 PM

Thanks Dann-O.
Sculptris is more of a static modeller I think.
I too had a little play at rigging and my system slowed considerably.
Might be quite good to sculpt something and then take profiles to use as plans to make a Poly model?
Your car is coming on a treat.
Are you modelling it as one piece?

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 22 June 2010 at 12:12 AM
airflamesred ( ) posted Tue, 22 June 2010 at 5:30 AM

Women's boot - and potential death trap Iwould have thought!

Nice car Dan

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 28 June 2010 at 11:22 PM

file_455137.jpg

I am so far behind in modeling clothes.  Been looking at youtube videos of how flight attendants dress these days in countries I've never heard of to get ideas for my blimp crew to wear.

Here is a huge building I started for my City of Yesterday (but in the future) that will compete for CG space in my blimp renders.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Sat, 03 July 2010 at 2:28 PM

file_455401.jpg

Nice Heels!! I seem to be stuck on cars this year. So I thought, this being the case. Have a go at modelling your own DreamCar. The premise is. Take a Ford GT40 and a Ford Focus. Put them in a room together over night and see what transpires in 9 months time. So far I've been working on this about 8 hours. Z

ZIKEO ( ) posted Sat, 03 July 2010 at 2:29 PM

file_455402.jpg

And with some colour.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 03 July 2010 at 3:37 PM · edited Sat, 03 July 2010 at 3:38 PM

file_455405.jpg

An update.  Maybe a blimp hanger below?  Or multi-level freeway traffic?

50parsecs ( ) posted Sat, 03 July 2010 at 4:37 PM

Great looking set of wheels Zikeo! I like your building Shawn. A little bit of Art Deco influence perhaps? I like retro-future stuff a lot. It'll be interesting to see where you go with it.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 03 July 2010 at 6:06 PM

Quote - A little bit of Art Deco influence perhaps? I like retro-future stuff a lot. It'll be interesting to see where you go with it.

Yes, my scene for Vue is starting to take on an Art Deco direction.  I just bought some Dover books on the subject so I can look at some building designs for the top.

50parsecs ( ) posted Sat, 03 July 2010 at 7:06 PM

I'll look forward to seeing the completed project. I've been collecting some of the Dover line as well. Great references. I've recently found a used book store nearby that has a lot of Victorian design books for cheap; just the thing for inspiring steam-punk architecture, vehicles, and devices.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 03 July 2010 at 11:53 PM · edited Sat, 03 July 2010 at 11:57 PM

file_455424.jpg

I deciding on a Hugh Ferriss design.  I wan't to add fountains and gardens on the terraces though.  Originally I was going to go for the Nazi concrete look with no plants (just huge red Nazi banners hanging down the length of the building).  But I decided on a more present day alternate Earth that is more green concious.

So there are freeways going through the building.  The bridges are sidewalks.

I'm using symmetry (cloning on) to model this.  It will be 1000ft high when finished.

MidnightCarnival ( ) posted Sun, 04 July 2010 at 3:23 AM

That' buildling looks like it could used some winged gargoyles on either pillar out front. =D

Here's some recents:

Still trying to figure out textures and texture painting in Blender - notice I couldn't get the eyes a different color:

I can kick ass in Sculptris but I ain't ever learnin' nothing unless I'm doing it the hard way.

And a more flattering imitation of my parnter...but it doesn't look too much like her so she wants another one with more detail. =D

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 04 July 2010 at 5:14 AM · edited Sun, 04 July 2010 at 5:15 AM

file_455429.jpg

I like the fish.

I don't know if I can keep this building lo-res or not.  Still have to do all the windows for it.

Hexagon 1.21 scared me when it choked while saving.  But it didn't lose any data.

I think I'll make water ways under the freeway.

50parsecs ( ) posted Sun, 04 July 2010 at 4:20 PM

Very impressive building massing going on there. Quite monumental.

50parsecs ( ) posted Sun, 04 July 2010 at 4:31 PM

BTW Shawn, since you mentioned Hugh Ferriss I thought you might like to see this pic of 30Rock in 1933. I've never seen another photo that came this close to matching the moody atmosphere of Mr. Ferriss's architectural renderings. I recommend that you click on the large version. http://www.shorpy.com/30-Rock

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 04 July 2010 at 5:29 PM

Impressive photo.  That's how all photos should be done still, with plates.

My building will be one of many for my mega-opolis (well that's my plan at least using Vue).

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2010 at 3:24 PM · edited Mon, 05 July 2010 at 3:26 PM

file_455523.jpg

Reduced the poly count as much as I could.  This is a test of the lighting (and waters) so far.  Still have lots of windows to add.  Lots.  As in there are no windows on this building yet.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2010 at 8:51 AM

file_455667.jpg

Hi Guys. Nice Fish!! Nice Building!! BIG!!! I've finished the Paradox One GT25 car. Full size image on my Gallery. :)

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=ZIKEO

ZIKEO ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2010 at 1:02 PM

file_455678.jpg

Thanks for the comment **50parsecs** Started a new smaller project, The progress thus far after about two hours.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2010 at 4:40 AM

Uh Guys?
Scary input from mum123?

ZIKEO ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2010 at 5:15 AM

file_455732.jpeg

Hi Guys. Update on the BIG Teeth Big Head.

JenX ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2010 at 5:24 AM

Spammer.  No worries, I'm deleting the posts!

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2010 at 8:19 AM

file_455741.jpg

Basically finished. Just tweeking to do once I've decided on a scene. No points for guessing who it is. ;) Z

airflamesred ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2010 at 8:38 AM

Esther Rantsen?

ZIKEO ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2010 at 10:21 AM

Now you mention it, the resemblance is uncanny!

50parsecs ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2010 at 2:06 AM

S-s-s-s-smokin!! Very true to the graphic novel!

ZIKEO ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2010 at 1:59 PM

file_455920.jpg

Hi Guys. Thanks 50parsecs. Finished a scene with the BIG TEETH head.

*http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=ZIKEO

Z*

MidnightCarnival ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2010 at 6:16 AM

Quote - Basically finished.
Just tweeking to do once I've decided on a scene.
No points for guessing who it is. ;)
Z

The Mask! Awesome! =D

MidnightCarnival ( ) posted Fri, 16 July 2010 at 6:21 AM

Quote - Reduced the poly count as much as I could.  This is a test of the lighting (and waters) so far.  Still have lots of windows to add.  Lots.  As in there are no windows on this building yet.

This looks cool enough already without the widows. =D

MidnightCarnival ( ) posted Sat, 17 July 2010 at 1:21 AM

Curvy Stuffs.....

ZIKEO ( ) posted Sun, 18 July 2010 at 9:04 AM

file_456262.jpg

Nice Curvies!! Hubba Hubba!! Hi Guys. Started a new project. This time a character from 2000AD's ABC Warriors, Hammerstien based loosely on the Fire Step version. Bigger image on my gallery. z

ZIKEO ( ) posted Mon, 26 July 2010 at 4:31 PM

file_456606.jpg

Hi Guys. Struggled a bit with the HammerStein model and went in a different direction. Check my gallery for more and my reasoning. Z

50parsecs ( ) posted Mon, 26 July 2010 at 6:03 PM

Very cool! I love the result.

MidnightCarnival ( ) posted Mon, 26 July 2010 at 11:22 PM

You guys kick butt wtih the poly modelers. Still trying to cough up something decent from Blender myself. 

This here is a few more hours spent in Curvy.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.