Tue, Oct 22, 11:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 10:35 am)

Subject: OT - Do you remember life before Poser?......

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 30 May 2010 at 11:20 PM

Imackenzie,

I had forgotten Thralldom and Happyworldland. I suspect Thralldom is part of that other site that ends with 'otica as I mostly remember Posette in Chains stuff from Thralldom. Happyworldland had a texture site if I remember. There was also "MorphWorld"

KimberlyC ( ) posted Sun, 30 May 2010 at 11:56 PM

Quote - I am a latecomer to Poser. Before Poser I played The Sims (hangs head in shame).

Don't feel bad.... I had a weakness for the Sims at one time too..lol :)

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 31 May 2010 at 1:23 AM

Quote - Before Poser I had Bryce and Raydream Studio. Once I got Poser there was no looking back.

...and before that, I had Qoole (Quake Object Oriented Level Editor).

shudder!

The biggest time-eater back in the day was pounding Rational Rose and Borland into submission for Quake MOD work... good times, but damn - at least nowadays I can still pull up my old artwork and enjoy it. Can't do bupkis with a ton of old .c and .h files, let alone the .bsp's.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 31 May 2010 at 1:31 AM

Quote - Imackenzie,

I had forgotten Thralldom and Happyworldland. I suspect Thralldom is part of that other site that ends with 'otica as I mostly remember Posette in Chains stuff from Thralldom. Happyworldland had a texture site if I remember. There was also "MorphWorld"

re. Thralldom: Not quite. A lot of merchants (and most of the artists) there wandered over to R'otica, but for the most part R'otica bought up some stock off the site (e.g. Davo's inventory), but there's no trace of Thralldom in the Renderotica site, and no names were purchased, etc.

Can't remember what happened to MorphWorld, was that the site that Jim Burton and Digiport used to sell most of their goodies from, or has my brain completely degenerated?

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Mon, 31 May 2010 at 2:34 AM

After not having had a computer (Apple II C+) for several years, in autumn 2005 I stumbled across an ad for Poser 6 and was intrigued at the idea of 3D on a personal computer.  I bought a PC and Poser 6, began to learn to use both, and here I am.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

lmckenzie ( ) posted Mon, 31 May 2010 at 7:19 AM

Attached Link: Antique Software: Turbo C version 2.01

I *think* HappyWorldLand's textures are at PosetteForever , saw a thread where they had contacted Tim and he gave them permission to host them.

I just pulled up Thralldom on the Wayback Machine (http://web.archive.org) - but I don't think there's much there. I don't know what happened to Thrall Lord.

MorphWorld was Traveler's site - some of the best morphs for Posette and Vicky at the time. He's at RDNA now of course. I think that Digiport was selling through BBay if I'm not mistaken though Traveler sold there too. My first and only commissioned piece was a nun's habit for Posette that he did. I think it cost $9.00.

"Can't do bupkis with a ton of old .c and .h files, let alone the .bsp's."

Hey Peng, I hope you put lots of Windows workstations in that IT project :-)  You can still get Turbo C 2.01 from Embarcadero - great nostalgia. Borland used to make the best compilers. I haven't looked at any of their stuff since I left Delphi 3 and went to the darkside..

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

ironrodent ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2010 at 4:54 AM

@mum123!

And just how many other cute cuddly little Swedish boats will you be endeavoring to eat today!**

Ironrodent aka Djughashvili's Gerbil

JenX ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2010 at 5:52 AM

Just a spammer ;)  It's being taken care of!

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

WCSally ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2010 at 7:28 PM

OMG, I remember life before B &W TV, and the line in masking tape on the floor > you must stay behind this line if the EM box is on< .. which never happened .. .. I was only slightly father from that box than this flat screen, but the upgrade is wonderful.

I do remember old spoken programs on a big wooden box with dials ... but that was long, long ago.  It did a better job than speech software .. there must have been some reason for that.

And then I discovered making print items for the new company ... go to Kinko's and then eat beans for the next ten days!  Forget driving anywhere, buy a bus pass this month if you have to make things at Kinko's for the company ("so you want to design, eh?") ... So ... a bit later I got the hand me down PC, and a graphics program.  I believe that was the end of real life formative age, and the beginning of the IT life grasp the new stuff age; aka: Where do you find this person anymore age? (only for those sans e-mail).

The car broke, the budget broke, and the PC broke, and I went into person-hood arrest.  I would walk by the PC, and sit down, and stare ... what difficult days.  .. I got over them slowly.  But I did not forget the rush of making a beautiful image, and taking it to be seen, or discovering a new way to achieve something in the art program. .... heady days ... good days, so now ... I am back .. I hope that 3D is as rewarding as 2 D graphics were.

I think it is the heady sense of achievement one gets ... and that is a good thing, to have things you have created which you are proud of.  If you can do graphite, way cool, Me I can paint with a pan and a roller, I don't even do a good spray can application ... but give me the PC and things will begin to emerge ... and that, I believe is the draw, that I am creating, and it feels good! --- (how it looks is addressed in other places, like help areas). ... ;-)

NolosQuinn ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2010 at 7:58 PM

Life was 2D before Poser 4.

Nolos.
'I'm smart...and I want respect!'

'I'm paying for this movie. I want guns'

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 3:28 AM

Before Poser? VU-3D running on a Timex Sinclair 2068.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Latexluv ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 4:03 AM

Quote - Some truly talented people actually created some great stuff with Neochrome Above from: http://alive.atari.org/alive10/esneo.php

Before Poser, I would use overhead transparency sheets and a felt tip pen to trace pictures from educational magazines like Playboy, Gent and Dude. I taped them to my TV screen and then trace the outlines with my mouse on an Atari ST (512 KB RAM) using the paint program Neochrome. Then I'd paint and fill in the outlines in 16 colors (out of a palette of 512) in all their 320x200 glory. Later I got a primitive - in todays terms - and expensive ($75.00) 3D program called Aegis Animator. Poser is, I suppose, the culmination of those two experiences.

Now, I can no longer spend Saturday afternoons chatting with the nice folks at the long defunct newsstand wile perusing source material. Instead, I spend time looking for the perfect HDRI map. Instead of working on some Frankenstein mouse/pantograph gadget, or hanging out at the tobacco shop (that oddly, was the only place in town selling ST software!), I'm wondering if this hair is sufficiently different from all the other hair I have to justify getting it. Progress is nice, but I'm not sure that the 'good' old days weren't actually better.

Ahhh, a fellow Atarian!  I dabbled in Quantum Paint myself.  But back then, I was a writer. I wrote most of my vampire novel on my beloved Atari before porting it over into the Windows world.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

jerr3d ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 7:26 AM

Yes, i was either cleaning my clogged airbrush, or trying  to figure out how to fix the unwanted paint spatter it just spit on my painting. T.T

WCSally ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 11:56 AM

Aerosolizing liquids ...  I had this experience ... it was not painting, but treating a hedge.

The answer for me was a set of redundant filters: ... If one clogs, remove and set in the water bottle, and apply a clean one.  Worked fine until all were clogged up.  I found that freshly mixed nixed fewer replaceable filters than hours old (some bio chem going on there).

I doubt that the airbrush (I have one, but cannot use it worth peanuts) has such a nice feature, but if you are still airbrushing .. I would let the manufacturer know of the concept ... who knows how much canvas, time and angst would be saved.

Now it is a whole new ball park, I am essentially starting from scratch in Poser Pro 2010 ... Lots of stuff to learn!!

Cage ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 1:33 PM

Life before Poser?  I want to say the world was a darker place, and people were shorter back then, with odd hair.  But at this point I can barely remember life before odf's Antonia, so my memories may be significantly confabulated.  :lol:

Actually, back then I used to try to draw and paint and sculpt.  I wasn't very good, being unable to draw feet and having terrible troubles with symmetry and proportions.  Life is better now.  Mostly.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Dracoraven ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 3:33 PM

Life before poser?! .. what is this sacrilege you speak of? Sketchbooks, pens, and pencils? Dealing with models that can't sit still?  I found poser in '98 and never looked back.

Eric Peacock
dracoselene@gmail.com

Blue Dragon Creations

<a href="http://zazzle.com/brianadragon
">My Stuff at Zazzle.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.