Mon, Sep 9, 6:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Isn't it about time for Poser 9, and did you find P8 upgrade useful?

josterD ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 9:42 AM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 9:04 PM

I've started wondering about this.

Some people thought the move from P7 to P8 was not much of a move.

But anyways, is Poser 9 coming soon?

what features you want and expect?

ShaaraMuse3D ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 9:49 AM

It would sure be nice with an upgrade to the dynamic functions. Nicer dynamic hair, like in Carrara, and a beefed up clothroom would be great. The one in poser is great, but it would be nice to take it up a generation.

Vestmann ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 9:53 AM

I don't think we need any new big features but like Grappo said it would be good to see upgrades for the existing ones.  True SSS shading would be nice for the material room and more options for IDL and raytrace rendering.

Vestmann's Gallery

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 9:54 AM

I thought Poser 8 was a very nice upgrade. Am I the only one? lol.

Laurie

Vestmann ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 10:02 AM

Quote - I thought Poser 8 was a very nice upgrade. Am I the only one? lol.

Laurie

No, I love P8 and Pro 2010 as well and I'd rather SM would take time with the next upgrade instead of rushing out something useless...

Vestmann's Gallery

geep ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 10:16 AM · edited Sat, 10 July 2010 at 10:17 AM

file_455778.jpg

> Quote - > Quote - I thought Poser 8 was a very nice upgrade. Am I the only one? lol. > > > > Laurie > > > > No, I love P8 and Pro 2010 as well and I'd rather SM would take time with the next upgrade instead of rushing out something useless...

I agree with LaurieA and Vestmann however, I really like the Library in Poser 7 (see above)  much better than Poser 8.

JMVHO ... 😄

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

infinity10 ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 10:17 AM

I am beginning to experience upgrade fatique....

Eternal Hobbyist

geep ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 10:19 AM · edited Sat, 10 July 2010 at 10:20 AM

Agree with infinity10, however ...

T'would be nice to have as many as possible "bug fixes" in place B4 the next, i.e., P9, is released.

OR .......... maybe a redo of the Library palette in P8 (re: my previous post) hint, hint, 😉

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

ShaaraMuse3D ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 10:27 AM

The library in Poser 8 is still very buggy and sometimes hard to come to terms with for sure.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 12:15 PM · edited Sat, 10 July 2010 at 12:16 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - I thought Poser 8 was a very nice upgrade. Am I the only one? lol.

Laurie

No, I love P8 and Pro 2010 as well and I'd rather SM would take time with the next upgrade instead of rushing out something useless...

I agree with LaurieA and Vestmann however, I really like the Library in Poser 7 (see above)  much better than Poser 8.

JMVHO ... 😄

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Please clarify what you mean. Do you have SR3? Have you turned on the options that make it look like the old library? If so, then what are you talking about? Since you didn't specify anything but showed a picture of lots of icons, I'd point out that I can get 2000 icons in one screen in the new library.

You have seen the tile list, right?

And the breadcrumbs.

And the fact that you can turn off the tree? Familiar with any of that?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 12:19 PM · edited Sat, 10 July 2010 at 12:19 PM

Quote -  The library in Poser 8 is still very buggy and sometimes hard to come to terms with for sure.

Please, people, stop talking about Poser 8 like it's one program. I'm tired of asking "Do you have SR3"

If you're going to talk about a program that has a significant service release enhancement to the feature you're addressing, please say which version you're talking about.

There are TWO P8 libraries. As of SR3, it is very different.

So - are you talking about the P8 SR2 library - is that what you're referring to? If so, then I'm not really too interested, since the SR3 library should have addressed anything one might call "buggy".

If you're talking about the SR3 library, then please be more specific.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Santel ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 12:32 PM

the library in P8 is great imo and adjustable in many ways... the button is at the bottom below the status textline

geep ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 12:40 PM · edited Sat, 10 July 2010 at 12:42 PM

file_455787.jpg

Oops, sorry 'bout that bb, my bad. :sad:

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Maybe it's time for me to retire ... Hmmm. ... ;=?

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 1:14 PM

Is there an option to look like the P7 library in Poser Pro 2010?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 1:22 PM · edited Sat, 10 July 2010 at 1:24 PM

Quote -
Oops, sorry 'bout that bb, my bad. :sad:

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Maybe it's time for me to retire ... Hmmm. ... ;=?

Please don't retire. Hehe. Glad you got that sorted.

Remember not too long ago you were working on a very detailed tutorial thread about using the new Poser 8 UI? And I mentioned in there that you were wasting time tutorializing the library GUI because changes were coming? Well now you see some of them.

There are a lot of options on how you display things.

I say you see some of them. Understand? Kapisch? Nudge nudge, wink wink. However, what you see now is probably it for P8 upgrades. More to come in P9.

basicwiz ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 1:24 PM

No, Laurie, your are not alone. I love Poser Pro 2010! 

geep ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 1:30 PM · edited Sat, 10 July 2010 at 1:31 PM

P9 ????????????????????????????????????????????

You're a tease, no?

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 1:40 PM

Quote - P9 ????????????????????????????????????????????

You're a tease, no?

My thoughts exactly ;o).

Laurie

geep ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 1:42 PM

:lol: @ LaurieA <<<<<<<<<<<<  (you're beautiful)

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 1:54 PM

Quote - :lol: @ LaurieA <<<<<<<<<<<<  (you're beautiful)

geep ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 2:08 PM

Quote - > Quote - :lol: @ LaurieA <<<<<<<<<<<<  (you're beautiful)

Well .................................................... you ARE ! (in several different ways)  😄

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

momodot ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 2:16 PM · edited Sat, 10 July 2010 at 2:24 PM

file_455792.jpg

I am ready for a new Poser Artist type thing :)

Poser with just the Pose Room and Materials Room (and Face Room) only maybe. A stripped down Poser LE. Something for noobs and or people wanting to par down for the sake of productivity. IRC Poser Artist was too stripped down in that the expression dials were hidden but aside from that... would love a lean mean Poser that ran fast and light.

I am seriously gonna go back to Poser 6 with just my Reduced Resolution figures to see if I can start getting more done and spending less time tweaking shaders and lights and render settings.

An awesome thing would be a Realtime Poser for noobs and animators... a maxed out Preview render even if it meant say a restriction to three lights. I guess you would need a render for shadows and AO unless that can be faked some how. On my iTouch I have a couple cool little figure posing apps based on something between Second Life and a video game. Proof of concept mainly... but you can just pose up in real time and capture from the preview... they have basic physics and motion too. Have even composited multiple figures by importing as background. I have seen some new Video games that I would use as an alternative to Poser if I had a game console. Some new thing like GTA. It was called ITC or something... saw a youtube promo... allows great figure customization.

Be nice to get back to Poser as a composition tool for digital or real drawing/painting as opposed to a wannabe MAX high end render engine. I used to do a lot of well paid work c. 1999 painting over Poser Previews in Photoshop for commercial gigs... man, it was a fast way to get things done... now a scene takes so very long :)

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 2:19 PM

I don't expect Poser 9 for at least another year.

I think the upgrade from P7 was very worthwhile, for IDL if nothing else.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

geep ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 2:34 PM

IDL ???

Yeah, da NaySayGuy likes P8 'cuz he's be idle for years. :lol:

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

NaySayGuy ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 2:35 PM

HAY ah resembles dat remark

ShaaraMuse3D ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 4:12 PM

Quote -

Please, people, stop talking about Poser 8 like it's one program. I'm tired of asking "Do you have SR3"

If you're going to talk about a program that has a significant service release enhancement to the feature you're addressing, please say which version you're talking about.

There are TWO P8 libraries. As of SR3, it is very different.

So - are you talking about the P8 SR2 library - is that what you're referring to? If so, then I'm not really too interested, since the SR3 library should have addressed anything one might call "buggy".

If you're talking about the SR3 library, then please be more specific.

I have SR3. One of the things that still persists is that it can still get stuck on refreshing. Sometimes one folder, sometimes numerous folders. It can also get stuck on loading sometimes, meaning the "loading" text appears, but nothing happens until I restart Poser. The other issue that still persists is that it sometimes shows duplicates of the thumbnails.  Many issues that were in SR2 seem to be gone (like the problems with adding materials from the material room etc), but there are still some stuff there. 

Maybe it's not in the library, but due to some drivers on my computer, who knows. But the issues still manifest in the library.

ShaaraMuse3D ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 4:31 PM

Also I have to admit I have not played around much at all with the settings of the library (shame on me), which I should probably do before throwing around more random complaints. :)

geep ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 4:43 PM

Quote -  Also I have to admit I have not played around much at all with the settings of the library (shame on me), which I should probably do before throwing around more random complaints. :)

Um ..................... you mean ............. like me ? (snicker) ... :laugh:

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 5:12 PM

Quote - I have SR3. One of the things that still persists is that it can still get stuck on refreshing. Sometimes one folder, sometimes numerous folders. It can also get stuck on loading sometimes, meaning the "loading" text appears, but nothing happens until I restart Poser. The other issue that still persists is that it sometimes shows duplicates of the thumbnails.  

I put a lot of troubleshooting information in this thread:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2805208&page=1

My config is pretty specific and unusual so maybe it won't be helpful to you, but I did find (apparently) two pretty consistent problems, neither of which is specific to Poser 8 but manifest there: 1) older versions of Flash*.ocx seem to sometimes conflict with newer ones, and b) it looks like the Firefox/Non-IE version of the Flash plugin fights with the IE version, which Poser seems to use (at least on my config).

My Freebies

ShaaraMuse3D ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 5:17 PM

Thanks, very good thread. Got it bookmarked now!

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 5:36 PM

You might want to check any folders where you're seeing double icons to make sure there's not two copies of the item. One compressed and one noncompressed. IE: PP2 & PPZ or CR2 and CRZ. These will cause double usage of the PNG file and show up as two items.

papillon68 ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 5:49 PM

I'd like to see some improvements to joint editing and figure setup capabilities, and also a GPU-based rendering engine :tongue1:

visit my blog:  www.alessandromastronardi.com

My Rendo Store

NolosQuinn ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 6:17 PM

Momodot - You may have been thinking about APB. Its for the PC only at this moment.

Nolos.
'I'm smart...and I want respect!'

'I'm paying for this movie. I want guns'

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 6:22 PM · edited Sat, 10 July 2010 at 6:23 PM

Quote - IDL ???

Yeah, da NaySayGuy likes P8 'cuz he's be idle for years. :lol:

I have to admit that sometimes I'm idle whilst the computer is rendering trasmapped hair with IDL.. :lol:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 6:54 PM

All I ask is that the next version come with THIRTY hours in the day instead of 24.

j/k

I kinda like what I have...and I'm sure the next version will have features that blow me away, and others that don't blow my skirt up.  And I'll get it because I'll want it :)

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 7:00 PM

Well seeing as how I've found I can't live without Poser Pro 2010, I'll probably skip any future non-Pro upgrades. (Famous Last Words!) :tt2:

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 7:00 PM

Poser 9?! Oh God no. Not yet. I only just bought Poser Pro 2010, I can't afford Poser 9 right now!

Besides.. Poser 8 and Poser Pro 2010 does 98% of what I want and need. Sure it would be cool with genuine SSS, but other than that.. I'm fine, thanks L

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

rty ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2010 at 9:02 PM

I don't think P9 is near. Shouldn't there be a SP for Pro 2010? Or has it been already released?

What I would wish?
Well, more GUI speed improvements (working with P6 is much faster, and I don't see why the GUI should get any slower and bulkier: A good GUI is supposed to help you work faster...!  And I'm not talking about the library here; I'm talking about what takes 90% of the time spent on Poser, the posing...)

And most of all, I wish a GI feature like DAZ Studio Advanced has... They are all taunting me with their renders, I'm jealous!... :-D

mathman ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2010 at 4:06 PM

Regards the P8 libraries palette functionality, I have a wish for the next release....
It would be nice if you could continue to browse the library while the figure (or the pose, or whatever) is loading. Currently, and AFAIK there is no workaround, it locks up the entire session while loading up the figure (...or the pose, etc)

Unless someone is going to pipe up and tell me that this is possible already ?! ,,, :)

rty ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2010 at 6:29 PM

Well, I think this will be partly solved when the rest of Poser is rewritten to be capable of using more than one core (most people nowadays have at least 2 cores).
So I think (hope) it's kind of scheduled to be done, eventually (P9?).

A complete rework (to meet 21th century programming standards) of the Poser app is urgently needed, I reckon. Ideally, the posing part (including loading stuff) should be as fast and painless as working with any high-end 3D modeling package, since Poser is no you-get-what-you-pay-for freebie.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2010 at 6:59 PM

I would like the Poser 9 library to have the option to use the Poser 7 library, not going to happen but it is a wish ;) I just hate wasting time clicking so I still use Poser 7.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2010 at 9:04 PM · edited Sun, 11 July 2010 at 9:05 PM

Quote - I would like the Poser 9 library to have the option to use the Poser 7 library, not going to happen but it is a wish ;) I just hate wasting time clicking so I still use Poser 7.

Earlier in the thread from bagginsbill:
"Please clarify what you mean. Do you have SR3? Have you turned on the options that make it look like the old library? If so, then what are you talking about? Since you didn't specify anything but showed a picture of lots of icons, I'd point out that I can get 2000 icons in one screen in the new library.

You have seen the tile list, right?

And the breadcrumbs.

And the fact that you can turn off the tree? Familiar with any of that?"

Apparently Ghost, you can make the new Poser 8 library look like the Poser 7 library IF you have SR3 installed :o).

Laurie

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2010 at 9:08 PM

Yes, I was wondering if you could do that with the Poser Pro one and asked that but I didn't get an answer :(

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2010 at 9:23 PM

The Poser Pro 2010 library and the Poser 8 library after SR3 are the same Glen :o).

Laurie

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2010 at 9:40 PM

That is why I asked. I guess I need to update the SR then.

josterD ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2010 at 9:44 PM

If Blender is free and it's a modeling program.....Then why not make Poser 9 an integrated program with both modeling and posing capabilities?

I would pay 200 for Poser 9 if it had

-Modeling of all types including metaballs
-Superb rendering engine
-Posing and animation tools just like it does now but improved tools
-Included(free as opposed to the one the physics package that exists but you have to pay for it) Physics engine

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2010 at 9:50 PM

Quote - If Blender is free and it's a modeling program.....Then why not make Poser 9 an integrated program with both modeling and posing capabilities?

I would pay 200 for Poser 9 if it had

-Modeling of all types including metaballs
-Superb rendering engine
-Posing and animation tools just like it does now but improved tools
-Included(free as opposed to the one the physics package that exists but you have to pay for it) Physics engine

There are packages like that and they cost hundreds, if not thousands of dollars ;o). Max, Maya, etc. We are mostly hobbyists, after all.

Laurie

ssgbryan ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2010 at 9:55 PM

Right now the main thing I am looking for is 64-bit for more than the renderer.  It irritates me to no end that I have 22 gigs of ram & Poser can only see 2gigs of it while I am setting up a scene.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2010 at 10:16 PM

I am not seeing the Poser 7 view in the updates ... Maybe I am missing something.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2010 at 11:05 PM · edited Sun, 11 July 2010 at 11:07 PM

Ghost,
There is not literally the old Poser 7 interface. That would suck actually. Every time I have to go back to P7 to test something I go out of my mind with all the clicking necessary to navigate multiple runtimes.

You want to go into Display Options and enable the Tile List, disable the Tree.

Then go into List options and adjust the icon size and spacing to suit whatever you define as goodness.

There is a manual, by the way. snicker

It strikes me as very funny when people talk about all the clicking associated with the new library. I find the opposite. The new library is way fewer clicks.

KimberlyC ( ) posted Sun, 11 July 2010 at 11:21 PM

Quote - :lol: @ LaurieA <<<<<<<<<<<<  (you're beautiful)

Awww... leave it  to Geep to start sweet talking the ladies. :P 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.