Tue, Oct 22, 2:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 20 11:30 am)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Sketchup Import a little confused in bryce 7.

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2010 at 10:06 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:34 AM

erm.. Sketchup uses Skp as it's native not DAE.... (it can export to DAE (Collada)) methinks Daz got a little confused there.. 

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2010 at 6:25 PM · edited Fri, 30 July 2010 at 6:27 PM

Quote - erm.. Sketchup uses Skp as it's native not DAE.... (it can export to DAE (Collada)) methinks Daz got a little confused there.. 

I think they mean the SketchUp exported version of the .dae file format.  I've tested the Bryce import of the Collada .dae format vs. the SketchUp version (from the Import file list in Bryce). Bryce brings in the SketchUp version, but not Collada one.  And even for that, the material file doesn't seem to work quite right yet.  But it's a start!

RosemaryR
---------------------------
"This...this is magnificent!"
"Oh, yeah. Ooooo. Aaaaah. That's how it starts.
Then, later, there's ...running. And....screaming."

jartz ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2010 at 8:25 PM

I was wondering the same thing too.  Has anyone tried to work with SketchUp models with Bryce 7 any?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus N50-600 - Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz · Windows 10 Home/11 upgrade 64-bit · 16GB DDR4 RAM · 1TB SSD and 1TB HDD; Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 - 6GB GDDR5 VRAM; Software: Poser Pro 11x

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2010 at 10:30 PM

I've done some investigations.... best method I've come up with is getting the .obj export plugin from here:
http://onigiriburning.so.land.to/

Get the su2objmtl2.zip file and go to where you installed Sketchup and unzip it and place it inside "..GoogleGoogle SketchUp 7Tools" and you should be good to go. When you run Sketchup it will appear in the plugins menu. 

There are some problems with some of the earlier SketchUp free models, but there's a discussion of ways and means in this thread over at DAZ.
http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=141125&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Bryce 7 will import the 'SketchUp' version of the .dae file, but with no mats applied.  And the SketchUp .skp files isn't on B7's import list.

That's all I have so far.

RosemaryR
---------------------------
"This...this is magnificent!"
"Oh, yeah. Ooooo. Aaaaah. That's how it starts.
Then, later, there's ...running. And....screaming."

jartz ( ) posted Fri, 30 July 2010 at 10:42 PM

Quote -
Bryce 7 will import the 'SketchUp' version of the .dae file, but with no mats applied.  And the SketchUp .skp files isn't on B7's import list.

I noticed that still doing the beta.  The .dea Import doesn't record, I think, the material part for SketchUp.  I do mostly detailed building work with SU, and that's why I asked.

Thanks for the input.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus N50-600 - Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz · Windows 10 Home/11 upgrade 64-bit · 16GB DDR4 RAM · 1TB SSD and 1TB HDD; Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 - 6GB GDDR5 VRAM; Software: Poser Pro 11x

artbyphil ( ) posted Sat, 31 July 2010 at 12:44 PM

I use sketchup with Bryce quite a lot, I find  just using .obj the best so far. On import you can select group by material which is good. Does using dae give any other advantages over this?

pumeco ( ) posted Mon, 02 August 2010 at 9:13 AM

I asked Hak about this during it's development because it was pretty obvious that what DAZ were doing would confuse people.

When he brought up the subject of working on the DAE import, I suggested that they go the full mile and evolve this importer into one that could also handle .skp (native SketchUp) files as well.  The formats are related, and this seemed to be an obvious thing to do due to the popularity of the free SketchUp.  Bryce would get a flood of new users if those users were able to render their SketchUp models inside Bryce.

The good news is that Hak liked the idea.  The bad news is that there's no way of knowing if or when it will be implemented.  Personally, I think it will appear sooner or later - but there's no guarantee.  DAZ would be shooting themselves in the foot to develop that DAE importer and to not extend it to support native SketchUp.

artbyphil ( ) posted Mon, 02 August 2010 at 9:27 AM

Thats good to hear, native sketchup support would be great, hope they  do go ahead with it at some point. And as you say I'm sure it would bring  lot of new users to Bryce if they can get it working well it would be the perfect companion to sketch up .

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.