Sun, Oct 6, 11:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: very thin hair with strand based render

rokket ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 8:24 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 8:58 AM

OK, so I am trying to come up with a unique character, and I give her strand based hair. The problem is, it uses a lot of RAM resources, and then the render comes up, and the hair is really thin, and I can see scalp. I am using a skull cap in Poser 8, and I usually uncheck the visible tab, or I will change the color to closely match the model.

I want to use a very curly hair on the model I am using, and there doesn't seem to be a hair prop available. So I am attempting to create my own.

So my question is, how do I create a hair prop that will not use up most of my computer's RAM ( it's a laptop with core duo 2 processor and 4GB RAM), and not have it look like a cancer patient with a thining hairline?

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

rokket ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 8:28 AM

file_457470.jpg

Here is a sample of what I am working with. If I part her hair so that you can see more of her face, I get too much of the scalp in there. Plus trying to make her hair in several different parts slows my renders to a crawl. I know I am doing something wrong. Please tell me what that is..

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 8:35 AM

I've had similar experiences with Strand hair and have tried a few things.  Increasing the number of strands per (unit) helps, though this will slow things down. 

You can also change the strand thickness, which may go some way to filling in those pesky gaps.  I'm not at my Poser PC at the moment, but I seem to remember you can change the base and tip width, if so then increasing the base width would be good :)

John

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 9:07 AM

I'd say you will have to go with several hair parts. A good trick is to make the "edges" of each part a higher density than the inner part. That way the thinner parts will be obscured.

Also, as Fugazi said, try changing the hair thickness. But making the hair in several parts will give you the best result. It will also be a lot easier to style.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

rokket ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 11:48 AM

Thanks, I'll give both ideas a shot. I think I tried doing the hair in sections before, but I wasn't sure how to save it as a smart prop. I am still learning...

ratscloset ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 1:54 PM

Another trick, if it is just visibility of the skullcap, is coloring the Skull Cap with a Hair Texture Map from a similar color Hair (dark side since it is in the root area)

ratscloset
aka John

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 6:37 PM

You save the SKULLCAP as a smartprop. The hair is then saved along with it. At least it should be.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Believable3D ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 8:51 PM

You may also want to check out this product: www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php

I've had good luck with it, but see if the curls are "tight" enough for you.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

rokket ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 11:17 PM

Quote -  You save the SKULLCAP as a smartprop. The hair is then saved along with it. At least it should be.

Ahhhh, ok... That makes sense. I think I was just saving the hair itself. Made rendering a really slow process. Thanks.

By the way, I have a lot of your freebies. Really good work you do.

Eddie

Michael314 ( ) posted Sat, 14 August 2010 at 5:22 AM

Quote - You save the SKULLCAP as a smartprop. The hair is then saved along with it. At least it should be.

Hello,
is it possible to make a conforming figure skullcap? With that, all morphs of the base
figure could be transferred to the skullcap and the hair much more easily fitted
to morphed characters.
I have "MorphingClothes" here from RMP and the docs said it can also transfer morphs
to props, but I never succeeded doing that.

Best regards,
    Michael

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.