Thu, Sep 19, 9:44 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:20 pm)

Subject: New Reality (lux render) Plugin over at Daz...time for Poser Plugin Update?

odf ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2010 at 7:51 PM
Online Now!

Quote - This is a test using only a SunSky light, added it into the .lxs file by hand and deleted the other lights from the .lxo file. It's been rendering for 12 hours overnight and I'll leave it to render today while I'm at work.

The scene is Stonemason's Warehouse by the way.

Actually, it seems to me that - with the metropolis sampler, anyway - renders do not necessarily get better the longer you let them cook. I usually stop my little test renders after two or three hours because I think they look good enough. The one time I left one to render overnight - without changing any of the settings, mind you - it ended up terrible.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

rty ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2010 at 7:54 PM

Quote -  Thanks Kevin, so am I correct to assume that the material name on a portal in the .lxo file must be "portal" to have luxrender recognise it as a Portal?

That been said, portals won't help you with your Warehouse scene, since it's an exterior.
Portals are useful for limiting the directions the engine will be looking for light sources in; In this case the only direction there is no light is the ground (the sky is an area light)...

(If you're just talking generally, disregard)

rty ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2010 at 7:57 PM

Quote - The one time I left one to render overnight - without changing any of the settings, mind you - it ended up terrible.

Interesting, would need some testing. That would definitely be a bug, if a render goes from acceptable to good, and then back to bad...!  :-D

Flenser ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2010 at 8:04 PM

Understanding how to set up portals is going to be good in general of course.

But I was also thinking that maybe the interior of the warehouse might be causing a lot of extra bounce calculations and creating a portal where the door is could then maybe improve efficiency?

Software: OS X 10.8 - Poser Pro 2012 SR2 - Luxrender 1.0RC3 - Pose2Lux
Hardware: iMac - 3.06 GHz Core2Duo - 12 GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 4670 - 256 MB

Jcleaver ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2010 at 8:08 PM

OK, how is the new version supposed to work?  I do get the GUI up, and after making selections, I press 'OK', and nothing happens.  If I run the python script, I get an error that global parameters are not found. 

rty ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2010 at 8:14 PM

Quote - Understanding how to set up portals is going to be good in general of course.

While you're right of course, I think it's a minor feature, as it only serves to accelerate a very specific type of render (interiors with windows to a "daylight" illuminated exterior).

Quote - But I was also thinking that maybe the interior of the warehouse might be causing a lot of extra bounce calculations and creating a portal where the door is could then maybe improve efficiency?

I don't think this should make any visible difference. Not any more than the barrels...

The problem isn't bounce calculations, but the ray going for the camera looking for a light source (we're rendering bidirectional): It might make a big difference if 80% of the scene is a light proof wall, but the 5% the door represents in this case shouldn't make any big difference, I think.

adp001 ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2010 at 8:15 PM

Parameter inputfile is hardcoded to  <PoserPythonFolder/LuxExporterPath>/AIR/LuxPose/data/dataOut.bbml

You may change it by hand in PoserLuxExporter_workers.py if you installed the GUI-files in another path.

adp001 ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2010 at 8:20 PM

Quote - OK, how is the new version supposed to work?  I do get the GUI up, and after making selections, I press 'OK', and nothing happens.  If I run the python script, I get an error that global parameters are not found. 

The GUI is not integrated yet. But you can use the GUI to set some parameters. If you click "Ok", the parameterfile is written to disk and used from the exporter. 

Run the GUI, click OK.
Start the exporter.
Start Lux.

Putting anything together should be ready to play with this weekend.

adp001 ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2010 at 8:23 PM · edited Thu, 19 August 2010 at 8:23 PM

To have a Lux-render beginning at the last point you left it (after closing Lux), a parameter has to be set:

write_resume_flm |  bool | Toggles the rendering resume output. Luxrender will auto-resume a rendering if the resume file exists. (NOTE1: the resume feature doesn't include any sanity check, do not forget to erase the file if you are starting a new rendering or you have modified the scene description. NOTE2: the resume file is usually read between 10-30 secs after the start of the rendering. NOTE3: this feature works well only with progrsive pixel samplers.) 

adp001 ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2010 at 9:06 PM

Some more parameters added

Download last version as usual: http://www.poserprofis.de/PoserLuxExporter_Alpha
I have to quit for today. More tomorrow (german local time).

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2010 at 10:27 PM

Thank you adp :o)

Laurie

DisneyFan ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 5:19 AM

file_457878.png

> Quote - I dl'd the new Blender but I still couldn't understand it, and I could not figure out how to install LuxBlend. They simply don't explain it anywhere. So I gave up on that.

There's a nice little installation guide here: www.luxrender.net/v/exporter_blender

As for Blender's interface, I learned enough to at least get a scene out of LuxBlend. You can go to 'Render' in the menu bar and select the LuxBlend Exporter. Blender has a cube auto-loaded in the default scene, so you can just fiddle with the LuxBlend settings as you will. If you want to play with the Blender materials, you just have to go to the first drop-down on the bar and choose "SR:3-Material", and that'll bring up the materials window. You can convert them to Lux materials via the "C" button on the material list in the LuxBlend window.

I was mostly just changing settings and hitting the 'render' button on LuxBlend, then opening the .lxs file and looking at what it wrote.

----------------------------------------------

currently using Poser Pro 2014, Win 10

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 5:58 AM

i noticed something.

luxblender has a recommended render setting called   Final MLT/Bdir path tracing..

the problem is see is that the number of bounces are 5. i mena the lowest you can get is 5. this is to much for me. i use 2 or maybe 3 bounces.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 6:00 AM

Quote - There's a nice little installation guide here: www.luxrender.net/v/exporter_blender

I read that. It says to put the exporter in the Blender scripts folder. In Blender 2.5 there is no such thing.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 6:01 AM · edited Fri, 20 August 2010 at 6:02 AM

Quote - i noticed something.

luxblender has a recommended render setting called   Final MLT/Bdir path tracing..

the problem is see is that the number of bounces are 5. i mena the lowest you can get is 5. this is to much for me. i use 2 or maybe 3 bounces.

Don't worry. I have a "bounces" parameter in my GUI. And I'll be adding "Preset" support to the GUI next week, so that users can create and share presets. This will apply to every part of the configuration. You'll be able to make or use render presets and tone mapping presets and all sorts of things.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 6:12 AM

bagginsbill you can change all of this or what?

insaneeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

DisneyFan ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 7:50 AM · edited Fri, 20 August 2010 at 7:52 AM

Quote - I read that. It says to put the exporter in the Blender scripts folder. In Blender 2.5 there is no such thing.

Ah.  I downloaded 2.49b, where there is such a thing, in a subdirectory of the installation directory.  2.5 is still in testing, according to the site.  Really, it works, I only downloaded it four days ago, myself... :}

----------------------------------------------

currently using Poser Pro 2014, Win 10

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 7:53 AM · edited Fri, 20 August 2010 at 7:58 AM

the luxrender doesnt work with blender2.5 or 2.53.

you must use blender 2.49

nightfall ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 9:20 AM

LuxRender works with blender 2.53, you just need the new version of luxblend from their source repository.

http://github.com/doughammond/exporterframework/archives/fcd2fd7cd7d046d63de50d90016e0a906ccc2e4f

copy ef folder to blender2.53scriptsio

http://src.luxrender.net/luxblend25/archive/76aaf3629dd6.zip

copy luxrender folder to blender2.53scriptsio

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 9:24 AM

i was reading somewhere that you can turn of custic on glass if you want. i also read that the best part is that you have control on which object you have caustics and on which not.

if this is true then this is fantastic.

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 10:36 AM · edited Fri, 20 August 2010 at 10:39 AM

i hope i am using the wrong settings.

rendertime 1 hour .

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 10:38 AM

erm Ice. you do know that Lux is not a fast renderengine. it's a correct engine. that takes time. anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 days.. depending on how long you let it run, what setting etc.

(there is a faster GPU/CPU/Network version coming but there is no date on that yet)

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 10:38 AM

Quote - i hope i am using the wrong settings.

rendertime 1 hour .

Actually, that's quite short for Lux ;o). If you think LuxRender is going to be fast, think again. It's slowness can be compared to Vue if you've ever used that. Takes much longer than Firefly. It's upside is that it's much more realistic than Firefly. You'll have to compromise time for realism.

Laurie

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 10:41 AM

the problem is that the scene is super simple. its not complex.

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 10:42 AM · edited Fri, 20 August 2010 at 10:43 AM

Quote - erm Ice. you do know that Lux is not a fast renderengine. it's a correct engine. that takes time. anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 days.. depending on how long you let it run, what setting etc.

(there is a faster GPU/CPU/Network version coming but there is no date on that yet)

a fast render engine would render this in 2010 in 2 minutes. so please without posts like this.

i  let it render 1 hour and it has hard noise.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 10:44 AM

We're TRYING to tell you that Lux is NOT fast! Even with simple. If the render times bother you that much, then you might wanna think about not using it.

Laurie

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 10:45 AM

facepalm

I'll post Correct Information when and where I please. don't like it? ignore me. but do not tell me what to do ok?

but I suggest you read up on the render engine and what it does and you won't look like an idiot.

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 10:48 AM

if i would know that its that slow then i wouldnt use it.

sorry if i posted like a jackass.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 10:49 AM · edited Fri, 20 August 2010 at 10:50 AM

Maybe you should read back through the thread again. I know you came into it somewhere in the middle.

No one ever said it was gonna be faster, just more realistic. It's much, much more slow than what you're used to with Firefly, at least right now. Think of it more like something you'll let render overnight or while you're at work during the day...lol.

Laurie

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 10:50 AM · edited Fri, 20 August 2010 at 10:53 AM

Quote - We're TRYING to tell you that Lux is NOT fast! Even with simple. If the render times bother you that much, then you might wanna think about not using it.

Laurie

i thought that luxrender is a fast raytracer with simple coding.

now i have a feeling that guys who have no idea what they are doing just made a monte carlo raytracer for free.

if only bagginsbill would work on this code for 6 months(for a paycheck). we would be in heaven.

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 10:51 AM

Quote - Maybe you should read back through the thread again. I know you came into it somewhere in the middle.

No one ever said it was gonna be faster, just more realistic. It's much, much more slow than what you're used to with Firefly, at least right now. Think of it more like something you'll let render overnight or while you're at work during the day...lol.

Laurie

i know that its not faster. its doing realistic soft reflections. i knwo that it can not be faster. its normal that its slower.

i just thought that for a one hour render it was very bad. i guess i didnt know better sorry.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 10:53 AM · edited Fri, 20 August 2010 at 10:56 AM

Quote - > Quote - We're TRYING to tell you that Lux is NOT fast! Even with simple. If the render times bother you that much, then you might wanna think about not using it.

Laurie

now i have a feeling that guys who have no idea what they are doing just made a monte carlo raytracer for free.

if only bagginsbill would work on this cde for 6 monts(for a paycheck). we would be in heaven.

Here's the thing ice-boy. Lux is unbiased. I'm probably not the one to go into the technical details of that (I'll give the floor to BB on that one), but unbiased is slow. That's just the way it is. All unbiased render engines that don't make use of the GPU are slow. And until Lux does (it's in the works), it will be slow. It will probably be somewhat slow even after it makes use of the GPU, just not AS slow...lol.

Laurie

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 10:58 AM

If you want a slightly faster render engine, then you might wanna watch what happens after this plugin is done and maybe someone will adapt it to Kerkythea. That's much faster.

Laurie

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 11:03 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - We're TRYING to tell you that Lux is NOT fast! Even with simple. If the render times bother you that much, then you might wanna think about not using it.

Laurie

if only bagginsbill would work on this cde for 6 monts(for a paycheck). we would be in heaven.

Here's the thing ice-boy. Lux is unbiased. I'm probably not the one to go into the technical details of that (I'll give the floor to BB on that one), but unbiased is slow. That's just the way it is. All unbiased render engines that don't make use of the GPU are slow. And until Lux does (it's in the works), it will be slow. It will probably be somewhat slow even after it makes use of the GPU, just not AS slow...lol.

Laurie

not if your name is Arnold heheheheheeheh ;)

www.graphics.cornell.edu/~jaroslav/gicourse2010/giai2010-02-marcos_fajardo-slides.pdf

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 11:09 AM · edited Fri, 20 August 2010 at 11:10 AM

Quote -

Laurie

Quote - not if your name is Arnold heheheheheeheh ;)

www.graphics.cornell.edu/~jaroslav/gicourse2010/giai2010-02-marcos_fajardo-slides.pdf

Hehe....well, Lux and Kerky are both free - how much can we really complain ;o).

Laurie

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 11:13 AM

i am sorry for posting bad posts. but i never was trying to complain.

i was just wondering if i am using wrong settings.

it was not a problem that it was not finished at 1 hour. it was strange to me that it looked so bad after 1 hour with so simple geometry.

again sorry.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 11:15 AM · edited Fri, 20 August 2010 at 11:17 AM

Well, read back a few posts....someone was mentioning something about indoor scenes and something extra that had to be done with them. That may help you :o). I wish I could explain it to you here, but I can't . I just haven't read up on Lux enough yet to do that ;o). Look back just one or two pages and I think you'll find it. Right about the spot where (Flenser, I believe) posted an image of Stonemason's Warehouse.

Laurie

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 11:21 AM

so i tryed now a render with only a light inside. and in 30 minutes it rendered better then the one in 1 hour.

so yes i will wait because it looks like i am using bad settings.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 11:34 AM · edited Fri, 20 August 2010 at 11:36 AM

It's something we're all gonna have to do - really read up on Lux if we wanna use the plugin and make good pictures...lol.

And yes, it does look better already, but I like it with the sun coming in the windows too :o). We just need to get a handle on all of Lux's little quirks.

Laurie

ksanderson ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 11:46 AM · edited Fri, 20 August 2010 at 11:47 AM

You need to use portals for interiors with light coming in from outside. I don't know about inside lighting. There are tutes available that have settings. Do a Google on luxrender portals. Arnold has similar problems with interiors. And Arnold is not readily available and who knows when it will be and for how much. It's very nice, but free and ready now is better. :)

Here's the tute I posted earlier for portals... info near bottom of page...
http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/index.php?title=LuxBlend_tutorial:_creating_a_simple_interior_scene

There is an interior light in the scene.

I did opt to try Octane Render and hopefully this weekend I'll have time to finish my new computer  (I finally have all the parts for) to use it. I like the results I've seen from users so much I bought two licenses!

Kevin

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 11:51 AM

Thank you! :o)

Laurie

adp001 ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 11:53 AM

Quote - i am sorry for posting bad posts. but i never was trying to complain.

i was just wondering if i am using wrong settings.

it was not a problem that it was not finished at 1 hour. it was strange to me that it looked so bad after 1 hour with so simple geometry.

Unbiased render-engine means to simulate the reality as close as possible. Lets have a look on your scene. There is a view into a room and an "infinitive world" outside. High and far away from your room is a lightsource, the sun.

To let you see something a renderengine has to send out "rays". This rays are "traced" and -simply said- a colorpoint is set where the ray colides with something. As said, the only lightsource from where rays are sent out is your sunlight. A real lot of the rays do not hit anything. Because your room is very small compared to the outside "world". A biased renderengine tries to optimize rays sent. An unbiased engine does not (like reality).

But because sending rays against nothing isn't that effective Lux has a method to give some hints to the raytracer. These hints are called "portals". Simply said a portal is a geometry (mostly a plane) that says: "Raytracer, all light to me!" Such portals are put where windows and doors are (where the light comes into your room). This helps a lot.

Beside of the portals, there are many more things you can do to speed-up your render or get better results. But the problem is, it depends on your unique scene. So you have to know something about Lux-.internas or you have to live with what you get.

At the moment this project is in an early alpha stage. It's not that easy to prepare a Poser scene to be used with Lux. But we are working on this problem. 

(Whoever means he/she could help with something: Just step in and do; even hints, findeouts, special know-how or script-snippets are important. This is an open project for all Poser users. The more know-how we can concentrate on this project the better is the what comes out at the end.)

I really wished my english would be better - sorry -

adp001 ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 11:54 AM

Ups! Crossposted  with  ksanderson

vholf ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 11:57 AM · edited Fri, 20 August 2010 at 11:58 AM

Quote - so i tryed now a render with only a light inside. and in 30 minutes it rendered better then the one in 1 hour.

so yes i will wait because it looks like i am using bad settings.

I think it has been mentioned before, but you have to use Portals for interior scenes, so Lux doesn't do samples for things out of sight.

www.luxrender.net/wiki/index.php

adp001 ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 12:00 PM

Here are some hints from the Lux-FAQ:

My scene has rendered for hours, but it's still very noisy

First, please note that even on powerful machines, certain scenes might take over 12 hours to get satisfactory results (and much more with high resolutions). However, there are several things one can try in order to get satisfactory results quicker.

• For interiors, use portals where you have windows or other openings where light can enter.
    • If your scene contains a lot of glass but you don't need the refractive effect of the glass (windows or similar), turn on the "Architectural" option in the glass material.
    • Scenes containing very bright (white) walls can lead to a noisy image. Try making them slightly darker. You can try adjusting the tone mapping parameters to compensate.
    • Try using the "Final MLT/Bidir path tracer (interior) (recommended)" rendering preset in LuxBlend. While it may sound like it is primarily meant for interiors, it can often be superior for exterior (archviz) scenes.
    • As a last resort, once you've got a very smooth sampled image with still a bit of grain in it, you can try some denoising filter in image-editing software like Photoshop or Gimp. LuxRender itself already ships with 2 such options under the Noise Reduction tab: Greyscale Restoration and Chiu.

adp001 ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 4:05 PM

Added some more parameters from the GUI.

The parameter names used from the GUI should be the same as those used in the documentation. Otherwise another conversion must be done and user aren't able to have a quick view in the documentation.

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 4:29 PM

thanks guys.

again sorry if it looked like i was complaining.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 4:43 PM · edited Fri, 20 August 2010 at 4:46 PM

Quote - Added some more parameters from the GUI.

The parameter names used from the GUI should be the same as those used in the documentation. Otherwise another conversion must be done and user aren't able to have a quick view in the documentation.

adp - your coding style would give you that opinion, but I already took care of it.

def s2lux(x): return x.lower().replace(' ', '')

And I put this as a filter on my dictionary object.

But if you want to type all those explicitly, please do so.

In the choices, you can put just a label, or you can put the label, a vertical bar, and the actual value.

For example:

PushRadioGroup dataProvider=First Choice|firstchoice, Second Choice With lots of Words|2nd choice, etc. etc.

ComboBox dataProvider=Alpha|1, Beta|2, Delta|3

I find it unnecessary to type all that given that a simple one-line filter takes care of it.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 4:49 PM · edited Fri, 20 August 2010 at 4:50 PM

Frankly, adp, I'm taking a break but soon I will catch up to you. I don't like all the extra typing you go through. For example, why do you have all the global parameters passed around - they are GLOBAL PARAMETERS. Put them in a global place and just import them.

Why do you use dictionaries instead of objects? Do you prefer:

global_parameters["Camera"]["focalLength"]

I prefer

globals.Camera.focalLength

or even better:

Camera.focalLength

I plan to rewrite everything that exports anything pretty soon. You keep writing your way if you like. I will be done pretty soon - maybe a week, maybe two - with everything.

But for now I'm taking my week-end break.

Flenser ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2010 at 6:14 PM

Ice, if you are doing an indoor scene with light coming from outside you should create a portal where the light is coming in, that tells lux not to waste processing power on irrelevant areas. Read back through the posts made yesterday.

As you've noticed putting a light inside is going to make rendering faster.

Luxrender is very precise and gives realistic results, that takes time. The good thing though is that it's very easy to add extra network nodes for more rendering power, and once the GPU rendering code is finalised the speed is going to increase by a factor of 10-50x.

Software: OS X 10.8 - Poser Pro 2012 SR2 - Luxrender 1.0RC3 - Pose2Lux
Hardware: iMac - 3.06 GHz Core2Duo - 12 GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 4670 - 256 MB

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.